Kirrou's Reach Foam Spartan Semi-Scratch Build [Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirrou

Hello 405th!!! Long time no see. I am back! Hahaha So when I last left you, I was half way through my ODST build. That has been placed on hold due to this build. I stopped back then due to life, work, and other things. But I became super inspired to build and work with foam after watching my friend RoxyRoo build herself a super sexy set of armor. Not to mention all the other amazing foam builds. So not wanting to be left out of the EVA foam crazy I am giving it a go!

Here are my results so far...

I first started with L3X's torso pep, which is an awesome file. But there were a lot of things I wanted to change to make it a bit more game accurate. After modifing it a ton so I decided on just making my templates from scratch. It was a huge pain but I am very pleased with the results.

This is my first attempt using the pep file. Notice all of the seams.
Reach_build-3_zpsa460e6eb.jpg

Unfotunately I didn't take very many progress pics.

This is me working on the back part now all done from scratch using the pep file for a scale reference ONLY.
Reach_build-2_zps280921b5.jpg

Now lets fast forward a few weeks.
Reach_build-5_zps3bd49023.jpg

Still working on the collar and neckseal. But its coming along.

Reach_build-9_zps7b61b07d.jpg

The whole top part is made with only two pieces bent in a few different spots. This eliminated a buch of seams and gives a bit more game accurate look.

Reach_build-6_zpsf21ddf85.jpg

The chest opens up in the bottom and is secured with parashoot clips. It is super easy to put on and take off.

Reach_build-8_zpsdb438358.jpg

Started working on the underarmor section of the chest.

Reach_build-7_zps3f3f8974.jpg

I still have a few more details I want to add to the back but I am pretty happy with it so far.
The colored pieces are all foamies. They are great for adding detail or cleaning up messy areas.

Well guys as always any feed back is most appriciated. And again a big thanks to RoxyRoo, Lil Tyrant, Drake, Timecon, Rosh and all of those other awesome foam builds for being so inspiring.

Next I am finishing the neck and collar areas. And working more on the under armor pieces of the chest.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh! So cool to see the chest (mostly) done! It's good that you made it so you can take if off and on easier. Squeezing into your chest piece is not fun. You should post a picture of you wearing it. *nod nod*

Very impressive job so far! Good to see you back in the saddle too.

Yeah, after seeing Roxy's build and Liltyrant, and now this, I may have to try my hand at foam. I imagine winter would be a perfect time to start that since it can be built indoors.

Keep it up!

Awwww yea! Kirrou back in the house!! That looks awesome man! I tore my reach chest like 2 weeks ago doing housework in it- I need to wear it sometime right? I should be able to repair it pretty easily though. Between you and rox though, I may need to just build a new one. Lets get together and make some stuff, I'm losing my mind without a few running projects.

That looks fantastic!! So many people are skilled with foam.. I must try it!
You really should. It is very easy to work with plus no smoothing or chemicals to worry about.

Oh my gosh, it's so great to have you back!!
It's great to be back. Thanks man.

wow that looks stellar your a jack of all trades if I've ever seen one. Keep up the good work
Thanks a lot. I like to dabble in everything but so far foam has been the easiest and quickest for me.

Very impressive job so far! Good to see you back in the saddle too.
Yeah, after seeing Roxy's build and Liltyrant, and now this, I may have to try my hand at foam. I imagine winter would be a perfect time to start that since it can be built indoors.
Keep it up!
Thanks man. It is great to be building again. And yeah that have all done some great work with foam. It is so far my favorite medium. You should try it out.

Nice job, man. I like your idea of only using two pieces. Keep up the amazing work!
-Ryan
Yes it took a while to get it to look how I wanted but I am very pleased with the results.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh! So cool to see the chest (mostly) done! It's good that you made it so you can take if off and on easier. Squeezing into your chest piece is not fun. You should post a picture of you wearing it. *nod nod*
Hahaha thanks Roxy. I can't wait for you to see it in person and for us to rock them together some where. I don't have a pic of me wearing it yet but I do have the
next best thing. Haha Check it out.
Awesome looking foam work. Really clean and detailed.

Nice job the Torso looks really clean, hope to see more soon

Dude that looks pretty sweet! Keep it up!

Thanks a lot guys all the positive feed is most appriciated. It really helps me stay motiviated.

Awwww yea! Kirrou back in the house!! That looks awesome man! I tore my reach chest like 2 weeks ago doing housework in it- I need to wear it sometime right? I should be able to repair it pretty easily though. Between you and rox though, I may need to just build a new one. Lets get together and make some stuff, I'm losing my mind without a few running projects.

Hahah Thanks man. I couldn't let you and Roxy have all the Spartan fun. And yeah I am totally down. Let get together soon.

UPDATE
Ok ladies and spatanmen. I have an update for you all.

After working my old ducktape dummy to the ground I decided that this build would need a new and better one. So with the help of my amazing girlfriend. I was able to make this...

Reach_build-10.jpg

Reach_build-11.jpg

I am really happy with how the soft armor aparts came out.

Reach_build-12.jpg

The markings on them are to help me align them back up for when I glue them in.

Reach_build-13.jpg

Reach_build-14.jpg

I still have to finish up some more details in the back. Does anyone know of a good way to make the rivit and detail holes into foam. I need a good way to do them but I haven't figured it out yet.

Reach_build-15.jpg

Reach_build-16.jpg

The collar is almost done I just need to glue it in place and work on the neck seal

Reach_build-17.jpg

So next up are the stomach plate and the back plate. Then I plan of working on the arms.

If anyone has any advice on how to best make those rivet and detail holes through out the suit I would really appreciate the help. I tested out my dremel but I seems to make a mess. And I have a wood burner but I don't have any tip to make the holes the size I need. I am not even sure if there would be any that big.

Anyways. If you all have any questions or comments feel free to post. Till next time. Keep it sexy everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
woooah super impressive foam work! Subscribing to this thread. I love the foam parts that you have where the shoulders are

very nice, im digging the soft armor parts, especially up by the shoulder. for the rivet details, you could try using a dremel, but i don't know how well that would work...just an idea

very nice, im digging the soft armor parts, especially up by the shoulder. for the rivet details, you could try using a dremel, but i don't know how well that would work...just an idea

woooah super impressive foam work! Subscribing to this thread. I love the foam parts that you have where the shoulders are
Thanks a lot guys. I am really happy with the shoulder pieces.

UPDATE

So started work on the back plate and soft armor. Check it out.

Here are some rough sketches I made to help me wrap my head around how to build this.
Reach_build-18.jpg

The back plate.
Reach_build-19.jpg

The soft armor. Its still needs to be tweaked and clean up. But pretty much there.
Reach_build-20.jpg

Reach_build-21.jpg

After this I am working on the stomach plate and then comes the arms! Let me know what you guys thinkg.

Looking really nice man. Good to see another nice clean build out there :)

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

This is looking quite awesome :D

I always love looking at foam builds and seeing how everyone takes a little different approach to their pieces. Excited to see more!

Wow that is really impressive your foam work is amazing. I am so glad there are more of us in AZ.

Latest and greatest is just awesome. Loving the details you're working into this build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back