Grrr! We're freelancers! Red vs Blue WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
That looks amazing. I love the look of the detail so far. And, you're right, that technique does make it look slightly indented from the surrounding area. A little paint and some good weathering will make it look even more so.

Thank you all so much for the feedback, made my day :D
Update time, this one is long overdue. The neck piece.
I've been meaning to work on this part for quite a while but I kept putting it off, primarily because I couldn't come up with a design for this part that I was happy with. A few days ago I got motivated enough to finalise a design for the area and I got to work.

I had trouble finding any decent reference photos to help me with the design but what was evident were there two curved parts at the bottom, the lip around the top and the two protuberances from this lip. With that in mind I decided to use these features as a starting point and come up with my own design from there.

As you can see I penciled down an initial design, it was a combination of what I could distinguish from the reference photos and an up-close image of one of Weta's Master Chief sculptures. Once I had something I was happy with I masked off the detail and applied my first coat of bondo.

You can see there are a few different shapes going on there, the plan was to have two different heights of detail; the lowest height was the first to get bondo. Once I had these parts at a height I was happy with I masked off the higher areas and applied bondo to these.

8121641045_be292dbc4d_c.jpg

I refined these areas further with the scalpel and by hand sanding. I was pretty happy with how it looked at this point. Sigh.

8121662000_2766afc837.jpg

Once I'd had my fill of sanding for the day I turned in to watch the latest episode of Red vs Blue. We have our tv hooked up to a media centre pc, so we can watch RvB in 65" of goodness. Unfortunately this size does lend itself to enhancing small details...

8121646283_7022ec4e8d.jpg

So, watching the episode I picked up on a lot of detail in the neck area that I'd never noticed before. I now had a decision to make, keep going with the design I'd started, or butcher it up with the dremel and make it look right.
So, armed with a rotary tool and reference photos I got back to work. I ground down the areas I no longer needed, marked out the new details and slapped on some bondo. A lot of carving, sanding, and application of bondo followed:

8121640243_af4fff7e52_z.jpg

Until I reached this point:

8121639429_e2dba06122.jpg

8121634021_f12263f4e8.jpg

8121649686_4bfe50ab2d.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out and even though it was extra work I'm glad I changed the design. I never set out to make this armour 100% game accurate, in fact I once said I was happy with the detail included in the pep and I didn't think I'd add anything. Those were the days lol. I'm still not setting out for complete game accuracy but I'm really enjoying adding these details.

Apologies for rambling on a bit, thanks for looking in :)
Sara

That looks amazing. Are you cutting the bondo before it is finished hardening or are you just sanding it down to the desired shape after?

this looks so freaking amazing !!! i love it !!!

yeah... totally posting this here.:

i saw your detail work, here at my work, and me and some of my colleagues all had the same reaction!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my next build will be purely pep, fiberglass and bondo. You guys make it all look so easy! Of course when I try this I'm sure ill end up in the fetal position on my garage floor muttering about tabs and edge id's.

That looks amazing. Are you cutting the bondo before it is finished hardening or are you just sanding it down to the desired shape after?

Both, A lot of work can be saved by carving the semi cured bondo although it's not perfect so it still needs sanding. It saves a load of time though, don't know what I'd do if I could only sand it.

yeah... totally posting this here.:

i saw your detail work, here at my work, and me and some of my colleagues all had the same reaction!!

lol, thanks XD

Incredible we're did u learn to use bondo so well?

thanks :) this is actually the first time I've played with bondo but I've always been decent at making stuff.

Thanks so much guys, I'm really flattered that everyone likes my/our work so far. Pretty excited at the moment as PAX Australia has recently been announced, it's halfway across the country but we've got our tickets already, just need to figure out a cost effective way to get our armour there!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see someone heading to the elite section if u keep that direction :D

as always i enjoy it ! :) keep us updated

Thanks guys
@pigbenis, loooong way to go yet, but I'm very flattered you think so XD

Put in a lot of hours lately, not sure where the time went. I cut the chest piece in half and I've been refining areas and getting them ready for primer. I've added a few more details, if I can find the motivation later I'll take some photos and post them up. Anyway, there'll be some new photos in the next day or so.

I promise, there's a tutorial coming, I'm just saving it for when I start the EVA helmet which is next on my list once the chest piece is done. Can't wait to get it started, I've got big plans for the detail :)

Hey all, sorry about the delayed update, I've had a hell of a week.
On Monday my dog collapsed and was hospitalised for a week, I've had him home since Friday afternoon but he needs constant nursing :( Anyway, all plans went out the window for a bit there, but somewhere between panicking and not sleeping I needed a bit of a distraction. I didn't want to work on anthing too big so I started working on my hand plates.

First of all, the update I didn't get around to posting earlier in the week:
Still some work to do like adding the lock detail and finishing the sides but the front is more or less finished now.

8175081574_02423acc82.jpg

8175081480_e996ca0a7c.jpg

8175048759_4f7b31e2c4.jpg

8175048535_c505f7b2d2.jpg

And on to the handplate... what a little devil to sand lol, I was looking for a distraction and I certainly found it. The main shape of the plate wasn't too hard but the little circles and the shape in the middle are pure evil. It's just hard to get into them to sand them, I have no excuses, it's just difficult. They aren't perfect but they'll do. I also tried my hand at some physical battle damage, I'm panning on adding quite a bit of wearing to the front of these with paint so I figured I'd go the extra mile with it. I'm keen to hear some feedback on the battle scarring so let me know what you think (If it's not good I can make it go away). Should I add some scarring to the chest piece? I'm indecisive, I need opinions! lol

8175081680_099f5b6060.jpg

8175130652_8a04493a95.jpg

:) Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back