Halo 4 Master Chief foam build *unfinished* (with templates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Dash, great Files!

But can i share a very great Method with you, that makes Foam Build much easier?

I used HotGlue for my first Foam Build to, but i was asking me, how Foam would react with Superglue and Activators.

The Result was amazing, you can save about 70% of Time to wait till the Hotglue is cold.

And if there any Holes, you can fill them also with thick Superglue and spray an Activator on it, it fills the Hole in an Instant and you can send the whole Build much better.

Hotglue just bothers at Sanding, but Superglue...well...saved me very much Time and Money.

Have you seen Drack's foam techniques videos?
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37261-Foam-Technique-Tutorials

The idea is to get rid of the rubber covering the glue gun's nozzle, and use the metal surface to manually spread the glue over the seam. That you'll get no overflow at all when you attach the parts together. Works perfect, also helps conserving glue sticks :)

Yes, I've seen drack's videos, but I didn't know the Xrobotos video. Some advises are pretty useful, some not. The "problem" is that I can't do many of the suggested things, because I don't do the cutting myself. For example the lasercutter can't do angle cuts, so I have to do the angle cuts after the parts have been cutted out. And it's a pain in the ass to do an angle cut on the edge of a foam piece. :/ Also I can't do what is shown at 6:30 in the video. Closing the gaps by moving the parts together is not possible as I don't have paper templates. ;) Only thing i can do is to play around with the templates in CorelDraw, but that's even more difficult so I really don't feel like it.

But thanks for posting these videos.

But can i share a very great Method with you, that makes Foam Build much easier?

Of course you can! :D

I used HotGlue for my first Foam Build to, but i was asking me, how Foam would react with Superglue and Activators.

The Result was amazing, you can save about 70% of Time to wait till the Hotglue is cold.

And if there any Holes, you can fill them also with thick Superglue and spray an Activator on it, it fills the Hole in an Instant and you can send the whole Build much better.

Hotglue just bothers at Sanding, but Superglue...well...saved me very much Time and Money.

I already use superglue with all my pepakura paper stuff, so I was happy that I could finally use hotglue with another project.
It saved you time, k, that's right, but money? Superglue is much more expensive than hotglue-sticks! But I'm actually curious about how superglue works with foam. I'm gonna try it.

So, weil du ja eh deutsch sprichst, mach ich das jetzt nicht komplizierter als es sein muss. was genau meinst du mit activator, was soll ich da nehmen, hast du einen tipp (marke)?

wow, can't wait for more, you are doing a great job,
mind if i use your pdo's for my halo 4 foam suit?
my dad bought a laser cutter too, but i have to make it work first :p

I'm seeing more and more foam builds, I may have to give one a go. Keep it up!
You definitely should!

wow, can't wait for more, you are doing a great job,
mind if i use your pdo's for my halo 4 foam suit?
my dad bought a laser cutter too, but i have to make it work first :p

You should use them, I uploaded them so others can use them if they want. ;) I could also share my vector-templates ready for the laser cutter if you wish. :)

Just a minor update:

I tried to build the cod, the 5 little wholes are still missing, as well as the thin plate in the middle of the upper cod piece.
Also I think I got the proportion wrong and scaled it a little to small. Will do it again.

cod_unfinished.jpg

You should use them, I uploaded them so others can use them if they want. ;) I could also share my vector-templates ready for the laser cutter if you wish. :)

that would be handy, i don't think you have the full suit already? :p
maybe wait until you have the full suit and then send the vector templates
i think people would find it handy to find all the files in 1 post, rather than scattered all over the place :)

that would be handy, i don't think you have the full suit already? :p
maybe wait until you have the full suit and then send the vector templates
i think people would find it handy to find all the files in 1 post, rather than scattered all over the place :)

Actually you can find all unfoalds I've done in the first post, so there's no need to search the whole thread for some files, as they are all in the 1st post too. ;) I don't have the whole suit yet, but nearly everthing is done apart from the thighs and shoulder/biceps.

TEMPLATE UPDATE TIME:

note: you have to rearrange the parts because I placed them to fit on a 560x560mm foam mat.

Torso (by monkeyfuj)

torso.jpg
Download H4 Torso Foam Template

Butt (by monkeyfuj)

butt.jpg
Download H4 Butt Foam Template

can you please tell me how the scaling of the chest works, i have made a few mark VI chests, one too big, one too small. so i don't want to screw it up again :p

you can help by telling me if you used this on what dimensions and what your dimensions are (that sounds weird :p)
then i can calculate it for mine with undersuit

After looking at your username, I thought of something. You should slap something pony related on your armor, maybe Dash's mark on an Assault Rifle.

can you please tell me how the scaling of the chest works, i have made a few mark VI chests, one too big, one too small. so i don't want to screw it up again :p

Sorry I can't ^^ If there's one thing I'm really bad at it's scaling. I'm miserable at finding the correct sizes, like you. ^^

you can help by telling me if you used this on what dimensions and what your dimensions are (that sounds weird :p)

NO IT DOESN'T! :D Haha, I've asked a lot of people for sizes when I built my MkVI armor, because I wasn't able to find the correct size on my own. :( I used MacAttack64's sizing list, because I needed some sort of reference. I didn't aks people for their H4 sizes yet, because I haven't start working on the chest yet (chest is always the most complicated part, so it would be a huge setback if you screw it up). But when I'll start building the chest (probably next week) I will aks a lot of people. xD
But since I have the MkVI almost completed I have some kind of advantage over you, because I can refer in some way to the sizing of the MkVI.
Sorry I couldn't provide any better help, I'm a scaling noob myself. ^^

After looking at your username, I thought of something. You should slap something pony related on your armor, maybe Dash's mark on an Assault Rifle.

I was thinking of that ^^
I may do something MLP/dash related to my armor, it's not yet decided. :p

help

can someone help me here? im using prepkura view these templates and off to the side there are like 20 pieces scattered out. what am i supposed to do with those?

Update: Thigh and forearm templates were added.

K, so now there's a template of every armor piece, it's gonna get serious now. Hardest part for me - scaling - because everything comes down to the proper size and proportion.

scaling.JPG

Oh, and look what finally arrived! OMG, I'm so happy, can't wait to paint that thing! And it fits my head just fine!

IMG_4729.JPG

can someone help me here? im using prepkura view these templates and off to the side there are like 20 pieces scattered out. what am i supposed to do with those?

Ignore them, they aren't meant to be used, it's because foam is wider than paper, you have to bear in mind that EVA foam has a thickness of ~10mm while paper basically has no thickness at all.

Thank you very much, that saves me a lot of time. just one more thing. i am 6ft, are these templates scaled to around that height? or do i need to scale them myself? and if so, is this right? "Take your height +2 and divide it by 86. Take that and multiply it by the current scale. The answer to that is what your new scale should be"

Final template release

Ab Plate + Cod (by KingRahl and Rhinoc)

cod_ab.jpg
Download H4 Thigh Foam Template

So basically what I did, I took KingRahl's ab plate and Rhinoc's cod piece and put them together, so you can print them as one piece, because I think it is one piece and shouldn't be seperated. I scaled them to what I think is the correct proportion. But I may be wrong, I didn't measure anything, I acted with good judgement. Enjoy.

I've just begun a MK VI Custom ( my in game spartan ) and I ended up having to do the templates and cutting on the spot. After 12 hours I had two thigh pieces and two Oceanic Shoulders. Yours looks much better !

I'm not sure if you've looked into doing different heights of foam for recessed and raised pieces, but I bought some 8x11" plastic sheets that work extroadinarily well for small height differences on foam. You can buy stacks of them on amazon or ebay for a decent price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back