Halo 4 Master Chief foam build *unfinished* (with templates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, it's time for a "huge" update. ^^

you forgot a part :p
the handplates, i know they're not so hard to make, but still :)

Actually I've made them. ^^ So just for completion, here they are. ;)

handplate.jpg

I've just begun a MK VI Custom ( my in game spartan ) and I ended up having to do the templates and cutting on the spot. After 12 hours I had two thigh pieces and two Oceanic Shoulders. Yours looks much better !

I'm not sure if you've looked into doing different heights of foam for recessed and raised pieces, but I bought some 8x11" plastic sheets that work extroadinarily well for small height differences on foam. You can buy stacks of them on amazon or ebay for a decent price.

I've edited my templates multiple times, the only ones that are near perfect and easy to build are the the boots, handplate and front code + ab plate. I'll add the updated versions of other pieces later.

Last week I was able to cut some pieces with the laser cutter. I've made a video to show you guys. :)

Isn't that just beautiful? :) Bad thing is that there is some material loss at the edges of about 1mm. Not a big problem with big parts, but with small pieces, meh, maybe there is some way to increase the contours to compensate the material loss.

Working with foam isn't that easy, the angle cuts are giving me a hard time -.-

Here are some pics of the arranged shin. I've used Rhinoc's templates this time. Came out quite well, but too small.

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

IMG_4817.JPG

IMG_4819.JPG

IMG_4820.JPG

IMG_4821.JPG

IMG_4822.JPG

IMG_4824.JPG

The shin is too small and the thigh is too big, have to redo both of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome looking templates, and youre a life saver, DOH!!! never dawned on me to get a PDO veiwer (...folks r dumb where i come from :p )
brilliant, now i can start :D

Now some pics of the thigh, I didn't finish it, because it's too big.

IMG_4829.JPG

IMG_4830.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG

IMG_4833.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

IMG_4835.JPG

IMG_4836.JPG

IMG_4837.JPG

IMG_4838.JPG

IMG_4839.JPG

It looks okay, but I'm not 100% satisfied with the result, don't like the little gaps between. So I will try something different, layered version.

a little sneak peak, still working on that.

layered.jpg

You need different foam types for this version to work, standard EVA foam (10mm), foam with a height of 5mm, and craft foam (1mm)

I'm not sure if you've looked into doing different heights of foam for recessed and raised pieces, but I bought some 8x11" plastic sheets that work extroadinarily well for small height differences on foam. You can buy stacks of them on amazon or ebay for a decent price.

Yep, I've thought of that, I have some 1mm craft foam for raised pieces and I ordered some 4mm foam, hasn't arrived yet. I thought of applying 1mm everywhere on EVA foam l to cover up dirty edges. Some people do that, and it just looks clean and brilliant. Compared to EVA foam craft foam is really easy and clean to cut.

awesome looking templates, and youre a life saver, DOH!!! never dawned on me to get a PDO veiwer (...folks r dumb where i come from :p )
brilliant, now i can start :D
Thank you, some people seem to have problems with downloading from dropbox, really don't know where's the problem :/ I'll set up a mirror later. You can also find some (old ones) of them on the official database

its all good, i downloaded a pep veiwer.

who built the Helmet for you? is it fibreglass or resin?

Long time no see guys, I'm still working on this, but very slowly.

I redid the shins, I took Rhinocs foam template and just made a few minor adjustements where I thought was too much empty space between the single parts. This is the result:

Shin (by Rhinoc)

shin%20improved.jpg
Download H4 Shin Foam Template

IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

Also redid the thighs, not 100% finished yet.

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

I'm currently working on the chest:

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG

Just to give you a quick impression of what it will kinda look like when it's finished.

2013-04-13%2018.23.05.jpg

All of the parts will be redone, especially the chest is just a size-tester.

lookin great, did a boot and a fore arm yesterday, he boot is fine, but i borked up with the forearm,
the layering thing would still be better :p

lookin great, did a boot and a fore arm yesterday, he boot is fine, but i borked up with the forearm,
the layering thing would still be better :p

Yeah I know, since I'm no 3D modeler, I have to get a little more creative when it comes to building things free hand. :p

Looks great.

Thank you

Here's the chest almost finished. I'll fill the gaps with mod podge where they are too big.

chest%20almost%20finished.JPG

This is looking great! I may have to use some of those pep templates for myself... It's just going to require a bit of scaling which I'm also terrible at lol.

This is looking great! I may have to use some of those pep templates for myself... It's just going to require a bit of scaling which I'm also terrible at lol.

Me too ... me too! :( I would build so much more if I got every single piece the right size at the first time.

unfortunately there is none, but let's see if I can build one, it's actually not that hard to edit the 3d files in sketchup. That would be something I could accomplish I guess.

Halfway done

halfway.jpg

Well, I have to take a break an get out here! It's got 88°F/31°C in my room and I need to cool down somewhere else. That heat is killing me! I'll continue tomorrow i guess.

WOW! I really did it :D took me a while but here it is!

Halo 4 Master Chief Torso size-tester!

chest%20tester.jpg
Download H4 MC torso tester

It isn't completely symmetric, but for a size tester it doesn't really matter. Still needs to be unfolded.
I think that could be really useful for some people.

These foam templates are life savers. Dash, do you know if there is a Halo 4 Helmet one floating around? If so, I may use it and re-do my helmet.

I'm really excited to see how yours turns out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back