Odst cnc r2 WIP (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
VERRY NICE, I know how long it can take to make proper 3D models... so majer respect and props.

I have to thank the original modelers Kirrou, JTM1997, and Hugh Holder so far. Their models served as the base topology. Adding in the details and fixing the topology so it would work better with subd only took a few hours (did the shin on my lunch, helmet took about 5 hours).

Anyway I've been lazy now I'm not being haunted by Halloween. So here's some updates. I glued everything together lightly sanded it then coated it in lightweight spackling and sanded again to get it pretty smooth. Then I used my air brush and sprayed on some acrylic paint (carbonized bone, because it's just that badass... and I seem to have a ton of it for some reason). Then coated in spackling again to fill the spots I missed. Tomorrow she gets another coat of acrylic and if it looks good, a coat of polycrylic to seal it up. Then I might just mold or throw on a sandable primer for a super smooth finish then mold (not sure if lacquer based primer will stick to polycrylic or if I should spray future instead). Also sharp eyes might notice I haven't carved the vent things yet, I'm still debating on carving them or cutting them off and sticking on a replacement set. Forgive the blurry pics.

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 180
Excellent work Gremlin. I have a similar plan, but my CNC is a long way from being finished. Eager to see how this all turns out!

I have to thank the original modelers Kirrou, JTM1997, and Hugh Holder so far. Their models served as the base topology. Adding in the details and fixing the topology so it would work better with subd only took a few hours (did the shin on my lunch, helmet took about 5 hours).

Anyway I've been lazy now I'm not being haunted by Halloween. So here's some updates. I glued everything together lightly sanded it then coated it in lightweight spackling and sanded again to get it pretty smooth. Then I used my air brush and sprayed on some acrylic paint (carbonized bone, because it's just that badass... and I seem to have a ton of it for some reason). Then coated in spackling again to fill the spots I missed. Tomorrow she gets another coat of acrylic and if it looks good, a coat of polycrylic to seal it up. Then I might just mold or throw on a sandable primer for a super smooth finish then mold (not sure if lacquer based primer will stick to polycrylic or if I should spray future instead). Also sharp eyes might notice I haven't carved the vent things yet, I'm still debating on carving them or cutting them off and sticking on a replacement set. Forgive the blurry pics.

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg

it almost looks like a WETA build.

Attachments

• IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 182
Yup she's gona get molded since it's sold foam and frankly it's a PITA to keep fixing when it gets bumped it or I accidentally stab it with the air brush...

Anyway I cut the vents off and mad some new ones on the cnc since the foam was to hard to cut cleanly after being painted. I'm still debating on sealing it with future and spraying automotive high build primer on it to get that super smooth finish... One small pinhole in the sealer and I'll get a crater of melted plastic :(. But without the primer I wont get that super clean finish since I'm already down to a level of detail that Spackle can't fill... If only there was a water based sandable primer :(. Anyway assuming I have power I'll post some pics later.

No power, took some pics this morning before work. I still haven't glued on the vent bits yet since it's easier to get them super sharp and clean before I add them to the model. I also sprayed another layer of acrylic and filled in a few more addiential bumps. As Lastly I tried to show the roughness that is plaguing me atm. Acrylic is great at sealing but is a terrible sanding surface so the corner need some work. I also added in the under visor details. After a few experiements and 20/20 hindsight I would have sprayed 3 layers of future before spraying the first coat of acrylics to toughen up the foam a little bit. Then again I have an idea with some laminating epoxy resin and a vacuum pump. I just need to find a vac chamber large enough for a test (and a new piece to test with), my 8" degassing chamber ain't gona do it. Anyway pics of the roughness (exaggerated by lighting).
2012-10-29_16-39-06_9.jpg

2012-10-29_16-38-56_674.jpg

I'm still amazed at how easy it is to get CNC machines and items overseas. Damn... I envy you so much. Not just about the mechanical parts though. Your skill is... wauw...

Wish I was that good, and had the tools available here. Keep up the amazing work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back