My first foam build [[Reach Armor WIP]] Pic Heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost01

Hello 405th!

I posted a brief "Hello" earlier this morning with a promise to post some progress pics of my build. So without further ado...

This is what I'm going for.
Vanity_634868834386962000.png

The first thing I did was to make my torso dummy with duct tape. I did some research and read several posts on the best way to do this and I ended up picking up a cheap bunny suit coverall from Lowes. I put on the suit, began sweating immediately (I have no idea how people work in these things!) and began the difficult process of taping myself from hips to neck. My wife was out of town so I had no help in this process. Luckily I have long arms so I was able to completely cover myself except for some places on my upper back, which I was able to cover after I cut off the taped suit. I saved the legs and arms for future dummy making. After all was said and done, I ended up with this:

IMG_0892.jpg

Then I continued the research for the best choice for a first project. I have been lurking around the forums for about a month now reading, reading, reading and, oh yeah, READING some more. The amount of inspiration I drew from this community was astounding. I do have to give alot of credit to Nick Nack Patty Wack for his foam armor thread, as I drew most of my inspiration for this foam build from there.

So I had my armor choice (Reach) and my materials, and I found the pep files for the piece that I want to start with (the chest) from L3X.

IMG_0896.jpg

Then I began to cut out the pieces that I wanted to transfer to the foam. I used an Xacto knife and a steel ruler to cut straight lines and I used a Crayon (yes a crayon!) to trace the shapes onto the foam. I watched a tutorial on this and the method seemed very sound. By using the crayon I was able to use the non-colored lines as a guide. Also, when you use a crayon, when you press against the edges of the piece it indents into the foam which makes the lines very clear and easy to follow.

IMG_0902.jpg

So after cutting and transferring I began to assemble the pieces I had cut from the foam.

IMG_0908.jpg

Now to fast forward several hours to my progress to date (I haven't had time yet this evening to work on anything).

IMG_0915.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with my progress. As this is my first ever foam armor build I drew heavily on the work of the giants that have proceeded me. You guys absolutely rock! I am excited to continue and I think I am ready to accept that this will be a very long project indeed.

Thanks for the awesome information, the incredible inspiration, and thanks for checking out my build so far!

Ghost01

this is lookin really good, I just finished my foam chest piece. It wasnt that hard, but as soon as I got to the back, it was a little challenging, but I managed to pull it off! Keep it up! I wanna know how you made that mannequin!

Thanks for the positive feedback! I am not usually known for paitence but I'm trying to take my time with this.

I wanna know how you made that mannequin!

It wasnt easy, but that was because I tried to do it by myself. If you have anyone available to give you a hand I highly suggest it. It's just duct tape wrapped around me while wearing a disposable coverall (like auto shop painters wear). I cut off the taped up suit and stuffed it with old blankets. Then I taped up the holes and viola!

I'm going to try to get alot done today and I'll post updates of my progress.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I am not usually known for paitence but I'm trying to take my time with this.

It wasnt easy, but that was because I tried to do it by myself. If you have anyone available to give you a hand I highly suggest it. It's just duct tape wrapped around me while wearing a disposable coverall (like auto shop painters wear). I cut off the taped up suit and stuffed it with old blankets. Then I taped up the holes and viola!

I'm going to try to get alot done today and I'll post updates of my progress.
Oh wow! I never thought of that! Thanks! And Im dyin to see more pics!

You've got some good progress on that chest. I always like to see people try foam out. It makes me want to give it a try some day.

What is the next piece your going to do?

Well it's been a long day and I only had a couple of hours to work on the chest but I'm still happy with the way things are going.

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

I actually got to take it off the dummy and put it on for a few before getting back to work.

What is the next piece your going to do?

I'm not sure what I'll try to tackle next. I still have so far to go on the chest that I havent given it much thought. I think I might try for the thighs and shins after this is completed.

Latest update! I got alot of work done on the back last night.

IMG_0925.jpg

Hopefully I can get the underlayment of this armor completed in a week or so. Then all I have to do is cover it with foamies and paint it. I'm considering taking a mold of the chest when its all done but I've never molded foam before so I'll have a ton of reasearch to do before I try to tackle that.

Thanks for looking!

Ghost01

Build is looking great man. I see you mentioned casting the chest. Now casting just the chest might look wrong if you don't do the back too. Also to start with you might want to start by working out the price of silicone. For my iron man helmet mold it is going to cost me what would cost you around $50 (much cheaper for you in the US cause it is realy costing me twice that) and I see it costing about $150 maybe more for a full mold. Then you have to price up the urethane plastic on top of that too. Molding and casting is a costly game. Before you start to read up on how it's done I would ask some one that has cast a chest and ask them the cost for the materials. If you do decide to do it watch the Molding tutorials I have linked on my Ironman build on page one, BenStreeper is the man :)

Tom

Build is looking great man. I see you mentioned casting the chest. Now casting just the chest might look wrong if you don't do the back too. Also to start with you might want to start by working out the price of silicone. For my iron man helmet mold it is going to cost me what would cost you around $50 (much cheaper for you in the US cause it is realy costing me twice that) and I see it costing about $150 maybe more for a full mold. Then you have to price up the urethane plastic on top of that too. Molding and casting is a costly game. Before you start to read up on how it's done I would ask some one that has cast a chest and ask them the cost for the materials. If you do decide to do it watch the Molding tutorials I have linked on my Ironman build on page one, BenStreeper is the man

Tom

Thanks for the encouragement! As far as casting goes, I was planning on casting the chest and the back as two seperate pieces to make getting the armor on and off easier since it will be a rigid material. I've got access to as many rare earth magnets as I want (There is a PC repair facility where I work) so joining the two halves should be simple once the casting is complete. I havent even checked the prices of molding materials yet, and I'm sure it will be challenging since my wife and I are expecting another child in December. Though, honestly, I dont expect to be done with this build until the middle of next year so it might not be much of a factor. I think I will take it in small steps, buying only enough molding material to do one piece at a time and so forth.

I have some progress pics as well. I got a fair amount of work done last night so I might be able to complete the chest soon.

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

I still have a few pieces to create and alot of detail work to do, but I'm looking forward to seeing the sides join up with the front finally.

Thanks for looking!

Ghost01

all I have to do is cover it with foamies

I was going to do that with my chest but takes some serious patience. However if you take your time and get it right it's going to look damn Good and so I wish you luck!
If you end up with any gaps as I can see you have some then use a silicon sealer and rub it into the gaps and it'll fill them right up and you can paint plasti dip straight on to that. much easier than using a standard filler.

my wife and I are expecting another child

Congrats buddy, i'm sure you'll find time when you can to continue this awesome build, i'm now subscribed :)

Mike

Congrats on being a Dad again man! Your build is looking great so far, just keep at it, I can't wait to see the coloring!

Hmm, nice work. how many sheets you reckon the entire torso uses up?

I bought a pack of 4 sheets and have used all 4. I havent used every part of all 4, but there isnt a whole sheet left if that makes sense.

I was going to do that with my chest but takes some serious patience. However if you take your time and get it right it's going to look damn Good and so I wish you luck!
If you end up with any gaps as I can see you have some then use a silicon sealer and rub it into the gaps and it'll fill them right up and you can paint plasti dip straight on to that. much easier than using a standard filler.

I already have a couple cans of plasti dip in the garage waiting for me. I have a few tubes of silicone as well which I will definiately use to fill in the gaps and uneven seams. Thanks for the advice!

Congrats on being a Dad again man! Your build is looking great so far, just keep at it, I can't wait to see the coloring!

Thank you!! This will be my 3rd child and my 2nd son. My first son has already asked me to build him a suit of armor when I finish this one. We'll see! I think I am going to go with a white and gray color scheme, maybe with some blue scattered in here and there. Sort of an urban camo look. Hopefully I will have some final chest pics to show after this weekend.

Thanks for looking!!

Ghost01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back