Doc Dailey's Halo 4 Build from the ground up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDailey

Hey 405th,

I've started on an all foam Spartan build. I want to make a game specific armor for myself so this will not be complete until the pep files become more robust.

I figured the boots, shins, and thighs will do minimal changing of the next few months, so they were safe to start working on.

Boots first!
P1030839.jpg

P1030842.jpg

P1030846.jpg

P1030847.jpg

P1030848.jpg

P1030849.jpg

I'm working on the shins next. I might do the gloves because that should be really easy.

Would you guys want to see a video documenting the work or tutorial as I go? Idk, just figured I'd ask.

I was just wondering to myself whilst looking at the new multiplayer characters, "How in the hell are we going to make those boots? They don't even look like feet to start with!" You sir, have easily answered my question.

That's super killer. Looking great!

Hello! I'm new around here. Kind of fell in to this 'hobby' by way of my sons watching some DIY youtube videos while I was cooking breakfast one morning. I'd always wondered how all these guys at the conventions had those killer costumes but never really looked in to it. Holy crap-muffins. This stuff is a good time! What I am most impressed with is how nice and helpful this community is. And how LARGE it is. I feel like I found a hidden civilization of awesome. Like the vampire underworld but without all the emo.

My kids have largely lost interest since, as most of the younger immediate gratification groomed generation, seem to have about a 12 hour window of attention. And since this is about a month+ for me, forget the kiddos. They have long since moved on.

Seriously though, back to your build, really killer. I've got some of that grey foam, but where did you get that half thickness blue stuff from? I'm doing a cardboard pep helm right now but want to go foam for the rest. That thinner stuff looks like a great material.

I think that it would be a cool idea for us to see how you did things. especially these feet. Im looking forward to this build.

Thanks guys!

Here are the gloves. I did that then I started working on a Deadric Sword from Skyrim. Nice and productive day.

P1030853.jpg

Ninja Taco,
I got the 1/4 in thick blue foam from National Wholesale Liquidators. It was in a huge roll, not the 4 sheets like the 1/2in grey mats. Then I used regular craft foam for the rest to cover the boarders and add different layers of thickness.

Looking great man! You can use Alex Plus silicone caulk to seal up any remaining gaps . The detail is looking great!

Well, while I wait for the weather to get better, I figured I could at least work on something that required me to be inside to work on. Here is what I've gotten done with 2 hours with of work.

foambuild_zps4b8de90d.jpg

Pieces here are:
Soldier shoulder including bi/tricep pieces
Contoured forearm
Wetwork Cod
Contoured knee cap
Hand plate

Now to cut them out and start making them look like something. Stay classy 405th!!!

I assume this is a build of your in-game character, due to the mixture of parts? Either way, everything looks great so far! I keep getting more and more impressed by all these awesome foam builds.

I assume this is a build of your in-game character, due to the mixture of parts? Either way, everything looks great so far! I keep getting more and more impressed by all these awesome foam builds.

Thanks Ender!! It is difficult when you first start off, but it gains traction very quickly after that. This will be a replica of my in-game Spartan. I'm just not sure if I'll do digital camo again.....I'm afraid that might end up being my calling card.

wow, looking very smooth already, hope you save all the patterns for us :p

I have them as a PDF sized perfectly for me......If a Moderator wants me to post them, then I guess I can. But these are "me" exclusive so I don't know how useful they are for peeps. Thanks Bud for the vote of confidence!

Looking good, Doc. Keep it up. +1 sub here.

Thanks S_127! I appreciate your viewership!!

UPDATE:

Here are the completed Contoured forearm panels and hand plate!!

P1040150_zps89436506.jpg

I'll be doing an under suit for these to attach onto.

P1040152_zps261b1f0a.jpg

And the newly added bicep and tricep plates!!

Please be sure to check out my FB page!!!

Liked the page and liked this thread :p Great work as always Doc!

Thanks Seth!! I appreciate it. Self promotion is the only promotion I have right now.

UPDATE:

So I completed 13 pieces today. New record for me. I might even get some work done on the chest tonight. I'm glad my Wife loves me!!

P1040153_zps8cedd2b6.jpg

Soldier shoulder panels

P1040154_zps3df79218.jpg

Cod with Contour knee caps

Ok I'm done for the day. Stay classy 405th!!

Pieces look good, Doc. I know exactly what you mean about the loving wife thing. When I went to town the other day and got some supplies, she asked me what I got for her, but gave up when I told her I just got stuff for the armor and went on about her day. LOL!!!

You fellas here on the 405th have some awesome ladies |D Most women would be like "PFF, DOING THAT KIDDIE JUNK". Don't forget to let em know you love em! You guys are lucky! =P Hopefully one day I'll have one as tolerant and okay with what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back