First Build: Dead Space 2 Engineer Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statyk

Jr Member
So, for next year's Halloween, I plan to go with the Hazard Engineer Suit from Dead Space 2. I looked all around, but have yet to find pre-made pepakura files for the darn thing. 1 year ago, I tried doing this with cardboard and my eyes. The rig looked nice, but in the end, it was too large for my back =\ So I had to scrap it. But I've come back on it, with 3D modelling experience and determination.

My friend awhile back was playing with a program that ripped scenes from games, and stumbled upon Dead Space 2. He gave me the file because I wanted to check it out and boy, first thing in my head was, "I need to make this". So a year after, with some developed modeling experience, I've finally put this plan into action.*

Dead Space 3 comes out February 5th, 2013, on my birthday. That is my deadline.

A few favorite shots of development:
dead_space_2_engineer_suit_build___1_by_statyk94-d5l3das.jpg

dead_space_2_engineer_suit_build___3_by_statyk94-d5l3dgk.jpg

dead_space_2_engineer_suit_build___10_by_statyk94-d5ojyuo.jpg

dead_space_2_engineer_suit_build___12_by_statyk94-d5q01o8.jpg

Progress shots begin on page 6!!

*Due to legal responsibilities, I will not be hosting the ripped model, so please do not ask for it. In time, I will remodel the suit myself and legally distribute that towards the end of my personal build, I promise! Hang in there for me!

oh my.. i wouldn't mind giving this a shot either o.o!
if you have the parts separated then i could help you with the unfolding! though it would take a while it seems xD

When I have all meshes separated, I will post each in links for download for anyone to fix to help get this done faster. I just ask that they kindly send the unfolded files back here so I can add them up to the OP.

Thanks for the reply! =]

Glad to see someone trying this in pepakura. You have one more member keeping an eye on this.

-Seth

Finished cleaning up the helmet! Boy, was that a job. There were so many instances of impossible physics and colliding vertices... O_e I fixed up the mesh in the smallest of places to ensure that the "helmet attachments" can be applied to the helmet properly by glue. I imported it into Pepakura Designer 3 and saved a .pdo file. If anyone would like to begin unfolding it for me to help me get this done faster so others may start this project as well, please drop a reply here, download the link up in the OP, and let me know what piece you are unfolding so that others don't end up wasting time! PM me and leave a download link and I will fix the OP with given credit to the person who unfolds it properly. Thanks guys, I really appreciate this!

A screenshot of the changes. As you can see, it had to be positioned, rotated, quadrangulated, and some parts had to be cleaned up to make pepping easier:
deadspace2_engineer_helm_by_statyk94-d5k9sfn.jpg

*Updated the OP with a link to the right arm files, and am now working on the left arm. Again, I'd appreciate it immensely if someone could help me out by starting to unfold these cleaned models in Pepakura Designer so that I, and everyone else interested, can get this project going physically.

Leave me a PM of the download link (or leave it in a response) and I will update the OP with the download and due credit next to the download.

Thanks guys =]

*Updated OP again with link to the left arm pieces that have been cleaned!

I hope bumping this doesn't cause issues for you all.

Alrighty, I'll make one =P

Thanks for the help man, really!

EDIT: Turns out I had one the whole time... Forgot the password but I fixed it. Herp derp.

yeah but i'd recommend it though, most of the 405th pep files are hosted on 4shared!

There's a lot of straggling edges taking up a bunch of pages. I would rather each skinny side attached to the bigger faces to save space. Mind if I give the unfold a bit of a makeover? You will still be given credit.

I may be able to 'try' to unfold some of the files. I'm extremely new to unfolding, but I might be able to help. We'll see ;)

EDIT: I'm taking a whack at the left arm. I should have it done tomorrow or the day after if I don't get busy with something else :p

-Seth

I've got the Left Arm files both split up for the most part. The larger section needs a bit more, but not much. Also, let me know if my unfold is possible, this is the first thing I've unfolded.

4shared link: Dead Space

(the file with (copy) at the end has unfolded pieces, though I think they need to be scaled better and maybe a bit tweaked. Enjoy and make more models! :D )

-Seth

I finished cleaning up Draakjuh's unfold. It has been organized and seamed into sections and I had to do a ton of re-seaming. This was my first ever unfolding as well, so hopefully it came out well for you all. Updated the OP with the download to the Ready-To-Print helmet. =] Thanks again guys, this is awesome!

ONTO THE NEXT! =D

EDIT: Seth, I checked out your unfold as well but gave it some fixing. I think it's best to try and keep as many of the unfolded parts as "clumped together" as possible. The less stragglers, the better. =] I fixed the Bicep, but haven't touched the forearm. If you want to do the left forearm as well, let me know and I'll wait so I can update the OP with both left arm .pdos (Forearm + Bicep rather than two separate downloads). If you would like me to do it, I will do so, but I will wait for your response to be safe.

... I thought I did the Left forearm?... As far the unfold part what do you mean? On the page I didn't do very much rearranging and just threw the pieces on there. As far as combining make sure to think of scaling, will it be easier to scale combined or not. And as far as trying the other forearm/bicep I'm all up for it, just link me what you've done with the files I unfolded to make sure I can keep up the same type of unfold.

-Seth

Hmm, I think it would be best to designate parts for both me and Draakjuh to unfold, I mean, there isn't any point in unfolding the same pieces, (and mine was the left ;) ).

Which parts do you call Draakjuh?

-Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back