My First Build, Mjolnir Mark VI (Pepakura/Fiberglass WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privyet

Hello, 405th! I'm Spencer, and for about a week I've been reading and reading and reading about armorcrafting. I decided I wanted to make my own, hopefully in time for this year's PAX East, and eventually decided on pepakura rather than foam. I had planned to only post this once I was done pepping the helmet, but I figure I'll start it now.

As the title says, I'm working on the Mark VI from Halo 3, which was actually the first Halo I owned (though I had played Halo 1) The file for the helmet is the one by ROBOGENESIS (Thanks a ton!)

Without further ado, here's my progress so far. (I'm just going to link to the pictures, because for some reason my phone camera makes the pictures really, really big.)

All cut out:
BtEoe.jpg

Assembled the base, plan to build up from here:
3Yxej.jpg

Close-up of the front:
y3RAm.jpg

Back:
iaEiK.jpg

Side:
h0Zu4.jpg

I'll update on my progress as it happens. Currently, I've found that the neck seems to be a little too small, but that the rest of the helmet seems like it's going to fit. I may have to use some sort of hinged back for the helmet, or I could just cut off some of the next part to make it easier to get into.

I'll update on my progress as it happens. Currently, I've found that the neck seems to be a little too small, but that the rest of the helmet seems like it's going to fit. I may have to use some sort of hinged back for the helmet, or I could just cut off some of the next part to make it easier to get into.

Most people simply widen the opening so their heads fit rather than going through the difficulty of putting hinges on, which could complicate things.

You've got a great start here. Keep it up.

Oh, and check this tutorial on how to properly post pictures in the forums...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31725-How-to-post-pictures-in-threads-(Video-tutorial)?highlight=post+pictures

This method pretty much automatically resizes the pictures, so they're not huge. People generally like to see pictures directly on the thread, rather than having to click to another page. You'll probably get more feedback that way as well.

Ah, thanks! I wasn't aware that it automatically resized pictures in posts. I clicked the "Post Preview" button at first, and it stretched out the screen really wide.

About getting rid of the neck, how much would that actually take away from the helmet? Especially considering I have a fairly large head (A little over 25 inches circumference and 9 inches tall), I'm worried I might have to take out more than normal.

What size is the helmet you built? My Mk VI helmet was built at 300mm, and it looks fine. Here is a pic showing how much was removed...

DSC04881.jpg

...and what it looks like while I'm wearing it...

155553_4922183054978_712513749_n.jpg

I think my head dimensions are not all the disimilar to yours (I'll have to double check when I get home), so cutting away enough to allow your head in shouldn't take away from the way the helmet looks.

Welcome from another n00b. Your helmet looks so much easier to build than the HD one I just began.

Good luck!

So, I finally got some free time to finish pepping the helmet.

Picture:
RdXS1.jpg

I put it on to test the scale, it fit fairly well, but I may need to widen the neck hole a bit:
25G1u.jpg

I have a few problems with it. Mainly that some of the parts aren't symmetrical with the opposite side. The one I'm most concerned about is the visor (Not the eye-shield, but the sun visor above it). It seems like the right side (left side if you're looking at the helmet) is higher up than the other side. Is there any way I can fix this?

A few other things. I'm preparing to get supplies for the rest of the suit. However, I'm not certain if I want to do it in pep or foam. I was mostly wondering a few things. One, if I use foam, will I be able to get it to match the helmet in appearance? Two, what do you put over the foam pieces to get the paint to look like it does on pep pieces? I've been scouring the stickies, but couldn't find answers to this problem.

First of all, good job so far:D... I dont know much about foam, but I'm pretty sure that you coat the foam pieces in plasti-dip( which I found for like 5 bucks at home depot in a spray can)....Most foam builds that I have seen have a paper and fiberglassed helmet, with foam everything else and It looks good...
I hope this helps at all:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, plasti-dip. That answers so many questions. I'm still not certain whether I'll use foam or pep for the rest of the armor. I'll probably decide while I'm home for Thanksgiving. Once I get back (The 26th), I'll probably start resin on the helmet.

But before then, do you have any idea how I can alter the helmet's shape after it's been fully glued together? The visor is tilted up, as in the picture, and I'd like it to be pointing out pretty much straight forward as in this picture:
gWHkS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back