Sliced DMR Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks great so far...dont forget the public never see abit here and there that you know isnt quite right, theyre hard pressed to take all of you in costume in the fleeting time they have to look and take a pic.
Dont scrap it, do another one later, or fix it later, but finish it as it is, my MA5C has a gaffa tape stock, painted to look right, but no one notices it as the costume and weapon always blurs together

looks great so far...dont forget the public never see abit here and there that you know isnt quite right, theyre hard pressed to take all of you in costume in the fleeting time they have to look and take a pic.
Dont scrap it, do another one later, or fix it later, but finish it as it is, my MA5C has a gaffa tape stock, painted to look right, but no one notices it as the costume and weapon always blurs together

Good point. I decided to work with what I have. Guess i'll just make a new more game accurate model later.

The Reach DMR was my favorite weapon in that game by far. Great to see it come to life!

Thanks Halex!

UPDATE!!!!

Alright so I know i've been gone for a while but I'm back! Today I worked a little on the DMR applying some bondo to the top of the rifle to cover up the cardboard holes. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow as it is late and I just finished work.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE!!!!!

Alright guys so here's some pics of what i've done so far for the bondo stage. I've covered the top and bottom with bondo and sanded it down to get it level. Here are some pics!

176C42A7-6663-4600-ABC4-63BF03914A85-10387-00000AB9C6F1D1A7_zps21d9066d.jpg

DBC92DAE-C8B4-4017-87BD-EB8EC4602617-10387-00000AB9C04FC6E2_zps82ea745b.jpg

****, mate, that's looking a LOT better than I expected. I'd been toying with the concept of making some sort of rifle after my ODST build, but I was still a bit snagged on what weapon, and how. I'm realizing in these pictures that the DMR is a much better looking rifle than I expected, though I don't have a scope, so I might take some artistic liberties by removing it, or maybe custom-building a mock holo sight. The screws are also a nice touch. Did you ever fix that rounding problem? Seeing as how it's resined and bondo'd, I'd probably take to areas like that with sandpaper, and then retreat it.

****, mate, that's looking a LOT better than I expected. I'd been toying with the concept of making some sort of rifle after my ODST build, but I was still a bit snagged on what weapon, and how. I'm realizing in these pictures that the DMR is a much better looking rifle than I expected, though I don't have a scope, so I might take some artistic liberties by removing it, or maybe custom-building a mock holo sight. The screws are also a nice touch. Did you ever fix that rounding problem? Seeing as how it's resined and bondo'd, I'd probably take to areas like that with sandpaper, and then retreat it.

You can find a cheap airsoft scope off of amazon or something if you don't have one on hand or are too lazy to scratch build one like me :p. As for the rounding problem It would be hard to maintain the detailed parts as they go all the way down to the bottom of the gun. However, I think I may rebuild this using a foam core and either cardboard or wood for the outer layer. If I decide to use the same file, I would probably bring each slice in as they go further to the outside then apply bondo to smooth it out and get that "rounded" look. Overall i'm pretty happy with the way that it turned out.

I'm always impressed by what can be accomplished with cardboard. I've been using it here and there for a long time, but I've never really pushed its capabilities, always resorting to more advanced materials for more complex shapes. Very cool.

It seems like you could take an appropriately shaped router bit along the line on each side to get the rounded look; it looks like a frame molding shape to me, anyway. If the resin's soaked in thoroughly, milling it like that should be clean. You might have to add some styrene or craft foam details back in here and there though.

If the viewer doesn't have every last detail of the DMR memorised (so, 99.999% of the population) it looks perfect though.

Yeah, I too would be happy with the way it comes out. You're right, though, resining each layer as they go together might well give you a more rigid and shapable material. Personally, I like the concept of taking some artistic liberties, so I'd like the holo sight, and might even consider adding some sort of integrated suppressor to the barrel (in place of the flash hider, so the barrel would be a bit shorter and much wider). I think it would fit better with the tactical persona of the ODST I'm working on.

I also had a novel idea where you could install a proper hollow barrel and put some yellow LEDs a short ways in, and maybe a cheap speaker, and wire it back to a hollow in the core of the gun (this would probably take like an arduino or something) which could then play firing sounds and control a munitions counter. I'd wire the battery to the magazines so that it's easily changed, and by changing magazines you reset the counter. Would be a lot of work, though.

I think the problem is that, while your DMR looks spectacular, the more accurate it comes to the original, the less pleased I am with it. Which is to say, I'd be happy to have yours (but the lack of absolute accuracy would kill the pedant in me), and I'd love to have an accurate one (except it wouldn't look as good as yours). Bloody dilemmas.

Anyway, I'm a ways away before I start making any weapons, and I know for a fact the first one I want is an M6S SOCOM, because that's a very ODST iconic weapon (and since I'd want to carry something with more punch than an SMG, I'd like an iconic weapon). I've got months and months to figure it out.

Dang! That is a super clean and great looking DMR.

Thanks Harri51!

I'm always impressed by what can be accomplished with cardboard. I've been using it here and there for a long time, but I've never really pushed its capabilities, always resorting to more advanced materials for more complex shapes. Very cool.

It seems like you could take an appropriately shaped router bit along the line on each side to get the rounded look; it looks like a frame molding shape to me, anyway. If the resin's soaked in thoroughly, milling it like that should be clean. You might have to add some styrene or craft foam details back in here and there though.

If the viewer doesn't have every last detail of the DMR memorised (so, 99.999% of the population) it looks perfect though.

When I first found sliced files the first thing I thought of was cardboard. I don't know why...maybe it was because it's a cheap (practically free) material that can be hardened and is lightweight. It definitely lacks some aspects like the inability to be sanded down, etc. But for a cheap way to build a sliced file, I'm happy with it. So true about what you said about the viewer not seeing every last detail, sometimes I get strung up on trying to get the smallest details in there forgetting that people aren't going to be focused on just that one area. Glad to hear you like it though!

Yeah, I too would be happy with the way it comes out. You're right, though, resining each layer as they go together might well give you a more rigid and shapable material. Personally, I like the concept of taking some artistic liberties, so I'd like the holo sight, and might even consider adding some sort of integrated suppressor to the barrel (in place of the flash hider, so the barrel would be a bit shorter and much wider). I think it would fit better with the tactical persona of the ODST I'm working on.

I also had a novel idea where you could install a proper hollow barrel and put some yellow LEDs a short ways in, and maybe a cheap speaker, and wire it back to a hollow in the core of the gun (this would probably take like an arduino or something) which could then play firing sounds and control a munitions counter. I'd wire the battery to the magazines so that it's easily changed, and by changing magazines you reset the counter. Would be a lot of work, though.

I think the problem is that, while your DMR looks spectacular, the more accurate it comes to the original, the less pleased I am with it. Which is to say, I'd be happy to have yours (but the lack of absolute accuracy would kill the pedant in me), and I'd love to have an accurate one (except it wouldn't look as good as yours). Bloody dilemmas.

Anyway, I'm a ways away before I start making any weapons, and I know for a fact the first one I want is an M6S SOCOM, because that's a very ODST iconic weapon (and since I'd want to carry something with more punch than an SMG, I'd like an iconic weapon). I've got months and months to figure it out.

Sounds like quite some ideas you have there. The next one I make will definitely have some PVC or wood dowel skeleton as there is some warping due to the resin curing process (it's slightly, just ever so slightly crooked...not noticeable to anyone but me, but it still annoys the heck out of me). I like the idea of the reloading clip and ammo counter. I remember a while back seeing a prop AR from halo 2 I think..made by some guys that had all of those features. I would totally be down to make one if I had the funds and the know how (I have no idea how to work arduino). Would be fun W.I.P. to have going though. Maybe for next year? Who knows...

surfahbum808 Yeah, I've been having a lot of ideas. I had another one about putting the gutted skeleton of an actual nerf gun in it, but I don't think that's practical with it's bullpup design. I also thought about a physical (if nonfunctional) charging lever (piece of pipe with a slit and a spring!).

Anyway, I went through and decided that the the DMR, though custom with a suppressor, would be my favourite rifle (I don't really want an AR or a BR55, and the BR85 is the wrong era for my character), so I'll make that after I try an M6S SOCOM (and before a W/AV M6 G/GNR). This means I'll, eventually, be wanting to pick your brain about how you did this.

And if it's a full body warp, you could see about using a dowel or PVC to simulate an actual barrel. Would serve dual function as a visual and structural component.

surfahbum808 Yeah, I've been having a lot of ideas. I had another one about putting the gutted skeleton of an actual nerf gun in it, but I don't think that's practical with it's bullpup design. I also thought about a physical (if nonfunctional) charging lever (piece of pipe with a slit and a spring!).

Anyway, I went through and decided that the the DMR, though custom with a suppressor, would be my favourite rifle (I don't really want an AR or a BR55, and the BR85 is the wrong era for my character), so I'll make that after I try an M6S SOCOM (and before a W/AV M6 G/GNR). This means I'll, eventually, be wanting to pick your brain about how you did this.

And if it's a full body warp, you could see about using a dowel or PVC to simulate an actual barrel. Would serve dual function as a visual and structural component.

if you look at the pep file I used it's pretty much self explanatory. You just glue the sliced files together and then harden them (unless you decided to use thin plywood, which in that case you're set for painting). I went with the cardboard method so I just doused the cardboard with resin and then used body filler on the openings at the top and then smoothed out some places that were a bit rough. The rest is just painting which I used some reference pictures online. The hardest thing was taping off the different sections, which you can see in some of the pictures above. The scope was a cheap airsoft scope that I purchased online for $5, and the barrell was an old 1/2" plastic tube that I had lying around, with two couplings for he 1/2" tube glued together then sliced down the side for the end of the barrell. Let me know if you need help with anything, I'd be glad to give any assistance if needed.

This thread inspired me to do a sliced-pep DMR. That project is pending... Can't wait to start my own thread!

Awesome! I'm glad that you're inspired to do a build of your own! The sliced file, while not 100% game accurate is definitely the easier way to go. I knocked out the whole building process in about 2 hours. Just make sure you have a sharp blade if you're planning on using cardboard, as it tends to rip if the blade is too dull. Hope to see some progress from you soon!

if you look at the pep file I used it's pretty much self explanatory. You just glue the sliced files together and then harden them (unless you decided to use thin plywood, which in that case you're set for painting). I went with the cardboard method so I just doused the cardboard with resin and then used body filler on the openings at the top and then smoothed out some places that were a bit rough. The rest is just painting which I used some reference pictures online. The hardest thing was taping off the different sections, which you can see in some of the pictures above. The scope was a cheap airsoft scope that I purchased online for $5, and the barrell was an old 1/2" plastic tube that I had lying around, with two couplings for he 1/2" tube glued together then sliced down the side for the end of the barrell. Let me know if you need help with anything, I'd be glad to give any assistance if needed.

If I need the help, I certainly will take you up on the offer. And you're right, I suppose it's not that hard, but I was glad to get some of your input. I think I'll take your advice and resin each layer of cardboard before assembly, and I might even try to modify the pattern to include a skeleton of wooden dowels to keep it nice and rigid. I'd also like to pay some attention to getting the rounded sections actually rounded (which I'll probably do by hand, so maybe I can find a way to temporarily assemble it and sand out some of that shape before I resin it).

How would you say the weight and feel are? Does the weight feel like it's made out of cardboard, or when you grab the handle? If it's really light I could consider finding a way to weigh it down, but I don't need it to have the heft of an actual rifle (I just don't want it to feel like it's *actually* made out of paper, like one of those hollow plastic toy guns). Other than that, there's just a little bit of creative liscense I'd take with the suppressor (I've got some appropriately-sized PVC that I'd just need to make a cap for) and the sight (not too difficult). I also liked your concept of including actual screws, it's little things like that what give it a realistic flair.

To be honest, the only part I feel like I haven't got figured out is the ammunition counter and bolt. Yep. I know they make kits for the MA5-series ammo counters, but I wonder if anyone has ever made one for a DMR, or how difficult it would be to make such a system given that I don't really have any of that sort of electronics experience. Then again, I don't really intend to have a functioning trigger, and the bolt was just going to be a spring loaded little lever, so maybe I could just put some LEDs behind a stencil that makes it look like there's a functional counter. It would always show 15, but whatever. Probably hide the switch for it in the mag well or something.

Thinking ahead of time, though. It'll be a while before I attempt to tackle this. I'm somewhere between a perfectionist and the ambitious type. Thanks for all the great input, though, and I'm glad you ended up with a badass final product!

If I need the help, I certainly will take you up on the offer. And you're right, I suppose it's not that hard, but I was glad to get some of your input. I think I'll take your advice and resin each layer of cardboard before assembly, and I might even try to modify the pattern to include a skeleton of wooden dowels to keep it nice and rigid. I'd also like to pay some attention to getting the rounded sections actually rounded (which I'll probably do by hand, so maybe I can find a way to temporarily assemble it and sand out some of that shape before I resin it).

How would you say the weight and feel are? Does the weight feel like it's made out of cardboard, or when you grab the handle? If it's really light I could consider finding a way to weigh it down, but I don't need it to have the heft of an actual rifle (I just don't want it to feel like it's *actually* made out of paper, like one of those hollow plastic toy guns). Other than that, there's just a little bit of creative liscense I'd take with the suppressor (I've got some appropriately-sized PVC that I'd just need to make a cap for) and the sight (not too difficult). I also liked your concept of including actual screws, it's little things like that what give it a realistic flair.

To be honest, the only part I feel like I haven't got figured out is the ammunition counter and bolt. Yep. I know they make kits for the MA5-series ammo counters, but I wonder if anyone has ever made one for a DMR, or how difficult it would be to make such a system given that I don't really have any of that sort of electronics experience. Then again, I don't really intend to have a functioning trigger, and the bolt was just going to be a spring loaded little lever, so maybe I could just put some LEDs behind a stencil that makes it look like there's a functional counter. It would always show 15, but whatever. Probably hide the switch for it in the mag well or something.

Thinking ahead of time, though. It'll be a while before I attempt to tackle this. I'm somewhere between a perfectionist and the ambitious type. Thanks for all the great input, though, and I'm glad you ended up with a badass final product!

I actually glued all the pieces of cardboard together first then resined them. I suppose doing each separately would yield a higher overall strength, as I'm not quite sure that all of the cardboard in my DMR ever got soaked with resin. I am probably going to make another DMR and go for a more accurate game version with the rounded edges. I just got lazy and didn't feel like redoing the whole thing a month before Halloween with all the adjustments I had to make on my suit.

The weight and feel is actually not bad. You don't want anything too heavy, especially if you're walking around at a cons or for a couple hours on Halloween. The gun I would say weighs about 4.5 lbs so it is a little "toyish" but not to the extent of a plastic toy gun..maybe more like a half filled super soaker? But even just that weight alone was making my arms sore holding it the whole night. As for feeling like it being made out of cardboard, I would say no. If you put enough resin and sand it down and apply a little body filler you can't even tell it's cardboard. The handle I paid extra attention to when applying the resin because I knew it had to be the sturdiest part of the gun.

As for the electronics part..you'll have to modify the pieces as you go. The file isn't ment to be hollow or have channels to run wiring through. I have seen some pretty good ideas where they run pvc through the gun to give them a channel to run wires from the stock of the gun to the ammo counter/barrell/flashlight. It's a simple adjustment that not only makes wiring easier, but also allows some skeletal support as well. I'm not too saavy on the ammo counter countdown, but i'm sure a LED behind a cutout "15" would work just fine. You have to keep in mind that you're probably the only one that's going to see the ammo counter all night unless you decide to pass your gun around, which I wouldn't recommend (I was in a rowdy environment).

Seems like you have a great plan on how you're going to accomplish the task. I can't wait to see some progress pics, from what your saying now I can only hope my next DMR build will turn out as good as yours.

The skeleton I created for my BR85 wasn't hollow since I've been intending to mould and slush cast all of the pieces except the grip, which will be solid with trigger cutouts. But it seems like replacing the skeleton with 3/8" PVC and T-joints or something would work for wiring:

IMG_1992.jpg

I am probably going to make another DMR and go for a more accurate game version with the rounded edges. I just got lazy and didn't feel like redoing the whole thing a month before Halloween with all the adjustments I had to make on my suit.
Heh, that's understandable. This one came out good, so I look forward to seeing what you do with the next one. One of the questions I meant to ask is if you're expected to use a certain thickness of cardboard, or to use a center slice multiple times?

The weight and feel is actually not bad. You don't want anything too heavy, especially if you're walking around at a cons or for a couple hours on Halloween. The gun I would say weighs about 4.5 lbs so it is a little "toyish" but not to the extent of a plastic toy gun..maybe more like a half filled super soaker? But even just that weight alone was making my arms sore holding it the whole night. As for feeling like it being made out of cardboard, I would say no. If you put enough resin and sand it down and apply a little body filler you can't even tell it's cardboard. The handle I paid extra attention to when applying the resin because I knew it had to be the sturdiest part of the gun.
This is good to know. I won't worry about it, then. Weighing a bit on the uncomfortable side isn't something I'm worried about, as I intend to add a strap to mine. I'll be sure to pay close attention to the handle section. Also, I'll probably be incidentally adding some weight with the big PVC barrel and battery. I can always add something to the magazine if it needs balancing.

As for the electronics part..you'll have to modify the pieces as you go. The file isn't ment to be hollow or have channels to run wiring through. I have seen some pretty good ideas where they run pvc through the gun to give them a channel to run wires from the stock of the gun to the ammo counter/barrell/flashlight. It's a simple adjustment that not only makes wiring easier, but also allows some skeletal support as well. I'm not too saavy on the ammo counter countdown, but i'm sure a LED behind a cutout "15" would work just fine. You have to keep in mind that you're probably the only one that's going to see the ammo counter all night unless you decide to pass your gun around, which I wouldn't recommend (I was in a rowdy environment).
Yeah, I figured I'll have to custom-cut some wiring channels or cavities into the part, which is a large part of why I want to know what I'm going to do and how I'm going to do it before I get started. I admit the countdown would be overly complicated and a bit unnecessary, so I think I'll scrap that for a static illuminated display, instead. Simpler, and just as good for most purposes. I don't know when I'll get around to this, probably not for a while (I'm really only just starting on my ODST build), but when I do, you bet your ass there will be updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back