"Help!" for: Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a plan to make ODST armor. I was planning on using EVA foam for the entire body but I am not sure what to use for the helmet. Do pepakura files work best? where can I get one?

I highly recommend you read this link, as well as take some time to read the rest of the introduction and rules stickies here in the Noob forum.

Thanks! I will definitely really through the forum and that link. I have watched multiple tutorials from "Dafrontlinetrooper" so I kinda have an idea about foam.

So I am still reading through all the posts about using foam and I have learned a lot. But i was wondering if creating Worbla (plastiform) molds and coatings would be a viable way to create a Noble 6 armor. It is an idea me and some friends have that I have started looking into.
Any thoughts?

So I am still reading through all the posts about using foam and I have learned a lot. But i was wondering if creating Worbla (plastiform) molds and coatings would be a viable way to create a Noble 6 armor. It is an idea me and some friends have that I have started looking into.
Any thoughts?

That sounds like a great idea, im inteested in what material you intend to use and how you are going to make your buck. I dont know that much about the process but it sounds like a great topic to research for the entire forum

The current plan can change as we go along, but for now we are planning to create the model from EVA and foamies then place a layer of Worbla over it. Certain sections will be hollow while others will have the foam inside still inside. Paint and detail will go on top of the Worbla and excess plastic can be used for contour. Again we just started so I don't have all the details.

Edit: is there any way of getting a character skin out of the halo Reach armory into something that I can look at on a laptop?

Edit: I know I'm editing a lot but I have more questions. I'm thinking of making a cardboard model first to figure out the look and the spacing of the suit. I figured it would be something I could start with that was cheaper then the full foam armor. Any thoughts or feed back? And also, would using strip or small bolt magnets on the armor plates and the under clothes mess anything up when I make the suit? I thought of using that to attach it since the magnets could be attached to the foam, plastic, and cloth fairly easily. I'm just brain storming so any feed back is great.

Hello, I was looking at halo 4 mark vi build foam templates for females. I couldnt find any and i was wondering how much i would need to modify the male mark vi templates located in the eva section of the 4 shared pepakura file database

I am starting the halo MK VI chest piece from foam and i did some research and found that there are 2 good types of foam (mainly) 1/4 inch foam and 1/2 inch foam. So my question is if there is a better thickness of foam to use for a chest piece or if i should use a combination of both. I have 1/2 foam but it seems too thick, but 1/4 foam seems very flimsy. Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

I am starting the halo MK VI chest piece from foam and i did some research and found that there are 2 good types of foam (mainly) 1/4 inch foam and 1/2 inch foam. So my question is if there is a better thickness of foam to use for a chest piece or if i should use a combination of both. I have 1/2 foam but it seems too thick, but 1/4 foam seems very flimsy. Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.
1/2 inch thick foam is the most commonly used foam thickness that people use to build their suits out of. 1/4 inch would be good for any detail work and there is also the craft foam or "foamies" that work really good for detail work as well.:)

Thanks.

1/2" is pretty thick stuff. I personally like working with 3/8", which is much easier to use. 1/4" and less should be for detail :)

Seems the most popular tools of the trade are X-acto blades for cutting, hot glue for joining, and a heat gun to help bend, curl, and otherwise shape the foam. Sealing is generally done with PVA glue or Plastidip. Another useful tool would be a Dremel/rotory tool for fine shaping, engraving, etc..

Zaff is pretty much spot on. Some other things that are helpful are masking or scotch tape to join pieces together before gluing, which helps eliminate excess glue on the outsides of your pieces. Sand paper of varying grits if you really want to shape the foam. Plus a few random, round, dome-like items to press the heated foam against that will help make a curved/rounded piece. You could also pick up a hot knife for cutting, but I don't have a lot of experience with that yet. Spray adhesive and super glue are handy for craft foam detailing too.

What do I need to make foam armor besides foam? I know you need a material to stick the armor pieces together, and stuff.

Seriously? You have come to a thread that is BASED on questions about foam work, and asked the most basic question that was covered on the very first page (video tutorial link in a signature)! Not to mention my video tutorials, and many others out there!

I will reiterate my quote that I gave you in another thread you started.

"Tutorials are out there, you just have to research them. Sometimes, "old-school" or experienced members of this forum, get a bit overwhelmed with questions like these. Dedication and time invested on your part to track down and either find tutorials/demonstrations/references and/or trial-and-error/test build/just dive in are far more advantageous than requesting something and having it handed to you."

I enjoy coming to this forum and helping out people if I know the answer to their questions. But I find it very disheartening when someone asks a question that reveals it is obvious that they have not even tried to do any research on their own.

Please, do yourself a favor and take some time to do a bit of Youtube, Google, and this and other forum research before asking the most basics of questions.

Once again, I am not trying to be overly critical, but you didn't seem to understand what I had stated the first time.

Hello peoples, I am somewhat experienced with eva foam armor building but when I looked up how to make weapons many sources used a different foam. I have no idea what this foam is called but it seems to have a whiteish blue color to it. If anyone can tell me what this material is and where to get it would be eternally grateful to your awesomeness.
-Rex371

My understanding of the foam used for the weapons is more like styrofoam. A bit stiffer, and doesn't bend easily. But a lot of the weapon plans for building seem to not only be pep but sliced. The sliced plans allow you to use it as a template to stack each piece of foam (or other material) on top of the other, building the rough shape and size of the weapon.

To re state what EVAkura said, the tutorials are out there. You have to invest the time to find and watch them.

Also as a noob it is very hard at times to sift through the overwhelming amount of pages of questions asked, BUT it is worth it. Many are the same questions, asked over and over. But there are also questions and answers to questions that you haven't even thought of yet. I've sifted through thousands of pages and have been a member for I think almost a year now. And I am just now starting my first builds. Put the time in, do the research, and have fun with it. Good luck.

Hello peoples, I am somewhat experienced with eva foam armor building but when I looked up how to make weapons many sources used a different foam. I have no idea what this foam is called but it seems to have a whiteish blue color to it. If anyone can tell me what this material is and where to get it would be eternally grateful to your awesomeness.
-Rex371

I do believe it is called polystyrene foam, and it is most often found in the form of foam board insulation, so a hardware store might be a good place to look. This is the type of foam builders like Dafrontline Trooper use for the majority of their weapon and prop builds.

Hello everyone, just general question, usually I don't see templates for helmets. All the other parts sure, even the Foam BETA portion of the 4Shared doesn't have helmet templates. Are helmets just usually done via card stock and then the rest via foam?

My wife and I have been at work out our first builds and it's been really cool seeing it starting to come together:

IMG_2414.JPG

but we've been noticing a lot of spots where the gluing wasn't as pristine as we'd like, so my question is when you plastidip does all of that appear as a "ridge" or does it generally cover it up?

My apologies in advance if I retreading ground, I was reading through responses and may have missed them.

There are very few foam helmet templates, most of which haven't made it to the database as of yet and therefore require searching the forums. For the most part, you are right, many foam builders do use a different method to make the helmet and then generally will make a mold and cast it in a lighter material simply because getting a high degree of detail is more simple with a pepakura model than a foam build. That is not to say that highly detailed builds cannot be achieved using foam, it just takes more attention to detail and putting in a more free-handed effort than simply following a template.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back