"Help!" for: Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to give you an answer but I have no experience with latex paint. I will say however given the properties of latex I don't think it would make a good PlastiDip substitute and I don't know how well it would stand up to a layer of PlastiDip over the top of it but however, it would probably make a good gap filler I'd imagine.

I dunno, latex paints are known to be very flimsy unless you really, really lay it on thick, and I think there might be some more effective alternatives available. I've heard that AB compound foam, which can be picked up at most automotive stores, would work out better, and can also be shaped after application. I have had some experience using it on plexiglass, auto glass, and porcelin, so I'd imagine that it would work with EVA foam just fine as well.

Hi

I have a question that might be to pecific for this thread but I honestly
don't know where it would be better suited.
I'm looking for templates for the mass effect N7 armor, specifically the
templates made by 405th member Hugh Holder. However, from what I understand,
his profile seems to have been inactive for some time and the files are no longer available via
4share, or atleast, the one link I've found is no longer valid.

Does anyone have any idea as to where I can find them or how Hugh can be contacted?
From what I've seen and read, those templates are the ones I feel I really want to base my build on.
Any info would be much appreciated.

I got some questions.

1: Why would I need a sealer on a foam build? The foam mats on Harbor Freight are advertised as waterproof. Wouldn't something that is waterproof not need sealing?

2. How in the world do you use the bathroom?

I got some questions.

1: Why would I need a sealer on a foam build? The foam mats on Harbor Freight are advertised as waterproof. Wouldn't something that is waterproof not need sealing?

1) I believe what they use sealer for is closing gaps between foam pieces so when it is painted, the edge is smooth, rather than there being holes in the seam. It doesn't have anything to do with making it waterproof.

2) That's up to you how you design your undersuit. Some people do whole body suits, some do pants and a hoodie/sweater/shirt.

I got some questions.

As statyk said the sealer (PlastiDip) does not make it waterproof just closes gaps and gives you a surface that the paint can cling too overwise the foam will absorb the paint.

And for bathroom breaks all you need to do is have an easy to release cod piece. Take a look in my thread and somewhere in there I've got an example of mine.

i just using PVA glue for sealing mine . can i use bondo to cover the bigger gaps instead of plastidip ? that thing isnt really easy to come by in my country and a small one cost a bomb.

i just using PVA glue for sealing mine . can i use bondo to cover the bigger gaps instead of plastidip ? that thing isnt really easy to come by in my country and a small one cost a bomb.

I also replied to you on youtube but here it is again:

PVA glue is a good substitute for plastidip and its good you've used the silicone on your gaps. I have seen someone recently who has used bondo on a foam helmet and it worked out ok. I'm not sure about prepping it first though, so you may need to coat it with something to give the bondo a better surface to cling to.
I'd still try getting some plastidip because Bondo will add serious weight to it, but otherwise I can't see a problem using the bondo, just check out if you'll need to prep the foam first.

Heres the build that used bondo with foam http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/38239-Iron-Man-Helmet?p=644517#post644517

So here's my question, some of you may have seen my Dredd 3D helmet in creation discussion, now I want to make the rest of the costume.

For all the vest pieces (chest, abdomen, and back) I was thinking of layering EVA foam and craft foam (thinner) for the details. My question is, what to use for the glue to hold the "sandwich" together, then can I seal it with plastidip? How durable will it be? How many layers would I need to use?

Thanks guys!

Hey MrPinski.

You can use hot glue as most of use foam builders do. Depending on the thickness of the piece depends on how many layers you need. That part is up to you really. There are two ways you can layer the foam up and I will pro and con it for you.

1. You can cut out the layers, heat them with a heat gun to form, then glue them together. Pro, the pieces can be heat formed. Con, is getting the edges to match nice and flat with out a noticeable seem lines.

2. Glue some bits of foam together, mark up, then cut the piece. Pro, you will get better seam lines. Con, you won't be able to heat form.

If you go for 1 then you could cover the seams with some foamies. I recommend using spray mount to fix the foamies on to avoid the bumpiness hot glue will leave.

Hopefully everything I have said makes sense. If you haven't questions feel free to ask.
Tom.

Thanks man,

Allow me to elaborate a bit more though. (I think my question was too simple...

For instance if I am making one of the pectoral pieces; I will first make a base out of foamies (craft foam) then I would make another piece from EVA in the same pattern but about 1/4 smaller on every edge and glue them together. Then I would want another foamie on top of that said EVA piece (same size and pattern) for the detail piece (the top layer) to house around the badge and cut the two corner triangles out of that. I guess I would use hot glue for all the bonding? is there a better glue for this?

Then to seal it, would I just use plastidip?

This would be the said piece: (And eventually the others as well haha)

dredd-picture01.jpg

thing is you talk about using layers but eva foam tends to be fairly think down to about 6mm so you could just get one the thickness you want cut all the edges to the current angle and then using the craft mount Tom mentioned glue down the foamie on top using normal hot glue to attach the whole piece to the flak vest underneath.

I say you this because that armour isn't that thick so an 8 -10mm foam would do, then as I said just cut the edges with an outward angle. you could also mount this onto a foamie so you have the raised up bit on the flat base you see above which is attached then to the jacket if that makes sense if not i'm happy to draw a diagram and post it.

as for the badge detail you'll probably need to look at getting your self some plastic and then dremel that detail into it.

again if you need anymore help or a diagram just shout :)

Mike

thing is you talk about using layers but eva foam tends to be fairly think down to about 6mm so you could just get one the thickness you want cut all the edges to the current angle and then using the craft mount Tom mentioned glue down the foamie on top using normal hot glue to attach the whole piece to the flak vest underneath.

I say you this because that armour isn't that thick so an 8 -10mm foam would do, then as I said just cut the edges with an outward angle. you could also mount this onto a foamie so you have the raised up bit on the flat base you see above which is attached then to the jacket if that makes sense if not i'm happy to draw a diagram and post it.

as for the badge detail you'll probably need to look at getting your self some plastic and then dremel that detail into it.

again if you need anymore help or a diagram just shout :)

Mike

Hmmm, what if I used a thinner craft foam in the center to replace the EVA? Coils that work and have me stick to my original plan?

Hmmm, what if I used a thinner craft foam in the center to replace the EVA? Coils that work and have me stick to my original plan?

I need to be sure i'm clear on your intentions here, you want a:
Flak vest then eva then foamie then eva with a foamie over that for the detail?

If i'm correct then what i'm suggesting is just use one piece of eva shaped how you want it then cover with foamie, I don't see the need for "sandwiching". Please correct me if i'm wrong on your intentions so i can help work out a solution.

I need to be sure i'm clear on your intentions here, you want a:
Flak vest then eva then foamie then eva with a foamie over that for the detail?

If i'm correct then what i'm suggesting is just use one piece of eva shaped how you want it then cover with foamie, I don't see the need for "sandwiching". Please correct me if i'm wrong on your intentions so i can help work out a solution.

You are most correct sir. He reason I didn't want to carve my detail out then cover with foamie is because... I thought my way would be a simpler (easier) route... Haha

You are most correct sir. He reason I didn't want to carve my detail out then cover with foamie is because... I thought my way would be a simpler (easier) route... Haha

cool well, by all means try your method but I just think minimal pieces and some work with a dremel for the badge will make things a lot simpler for you but I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure thats what you want to do... its what i'd do :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back