"Help!" for: Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so about 3 months ago I found a whole bunch of Reach Foam templates and dowloaded them and some how they got deleted and no i cant find the source

It had the armor and weapons all in one place

Can anyone help me out?

I know which database your talking about. It's pretty easy to find, google>what your looking for> it's one of the top three hits.
I know because I was using it the other night. Can't link it because I'm on the phone.

Hot knife is the best thing ever for cutting EVA foam.
EX: http://www.buy.com/prod/x-acto-prec...-soldering/218239417.html?listingId=127775820

Cuts the foam like butter. Completely clean cuts with little to no sanding required afterwards and makes angled cuts much easier as well. I used 1 blade for my son's entire Commander Shepard armor and the blade still cuts great. And it easily cut my cutting time in 1/2 vs a craft knife.

As Seth said, definitely don't skimp on the quality. I went cheap for my 1st one and it broke very quickly (where the exacto attaches to the soldering iron). Got a better one and it's been one of the best things I've added to my costuming tool-kit.

Be prepared to singe some fingers ;)

Good find, but I just wish that the hot knives were less like a soldering iron, shorter with the handle closer to the blade. When I cut anything out using an exacto knife, I hold the knife like a pencil, with my fingers close to the blade; can't do that with a soldering iron.

Ok guys, maybe I'm the problem, but I can't seem to get my edges clean when cutting curves. I have no problems with straight lines but the curves are eluding me. What's the best way to get those cuts clean? Here's an example of what I'm talking about, I know using words doesn't always get the message across. I've tried brand new blades, sanding it, scissors, I just can't seem to get them clean. Any advice?
DSCN1653.jpg

What kind of blade are you using? The smaller the better. I use a no11 scalpel blade. Just make sure it's a fresh blade, take your time and pre score the line at the desired angle before making the cut

What kind of blade are you using? The smaller the better. I use a no11 scalpel blade. Just make sure it's a fresh blade, take your time and pre score the line at the desired angle before making the cut

no11 scalpel blade as well. I had them for anatomy, so I figured I would be the rest to good use >< I'll keep at it, I'm probably just being too impatient with it.

Had a thought today and was wondering if anyone here had tried it before I go and spend 100 dollars on a new tool.

Has anyone tried using a scroll saw or bandsaw to cut out their foam pieces?

I'm guessing a bandsaw with a really fine blade would be better than the scroll saw seeing as the bandsaw is always pushing down on the piece where as a scroll saw blade goes up and down. But, the scroll saw only cuts on the down stroke so maybe it would be fine.

I own a bandsaw so I may buy a finer tooth blade and try it. The blade is only like 8 bucks for me being an Ace employee.

Both a bandsaw and a scroll saw have a table built in that can be tilted to cut 45's and other angles.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: If you try this PLEASE be very careful. Both of these power tools can cut a finger off if not used properly.

i like the fact the table tilts but i'm not sue ultimately it would work.. the force from the blade may just tear up the foam rather than give it a sean cut but try it out and post the results.

Has anyone tried using a scroll saw or bandsaw to cut out their foam pieces?
QUOTE]

I wouldnt try with a band saw. The blade moves quite fast and may end up burning the foam a bit from the friction generated.

I've seen a device a few years ago that was home made. Quite ingenious too. The guy made an electric foam cutting machine for some letters that he was making. It was wooden for the most part with a fully adjustable variable power supply built right into it. It was connected to the base plate and a point directly above it suspended by a long arm that allowed for good sized pieces of foam. Between the two points, was a piece of fuse wire. It would be heated up by the powersupply and would cut through the foam like a hot knife through butter. For thicker/harder foam a heavier wire could be used with a higher voltage to provide the correct level of power needed to heat the wire. for really thin foam a thinner wire was used allowing far less power needed to heat the wire for cutting. Im gonna have to try making it from memory one day. If i do ill post progress here on the 405th. If anyone else makes one.... go for it!

I could see how that would work but as you pointed out with the band saw surely you'd just end up burning stuff with a hot wire?
For really high density foams such as the blocks you can get used for carving to make a mould for vac forming, i'd say it would work. But not for this type of foam. But I could be wrong. If it did work fine then you'd get some very nice clean cuts!

Ok, bought a 14 TPI blade for my 9" band saw. Its nothing fancy just the plain jane Ace brand band saw. 14 TPI was the finest one we stock at the store I work at and it only cost me $5.00

here are the results:

1210121243.jpg

Straight cut 90 degree

1210121234a.jpg

Straight cut 45 degree

1210121237.jpg

A few cuts to try at 90 degree

1210121241.jpg

Ill post more later but I have to go drop my daughter off.

Ok, so I saw this vid on youtube (5-minute Foam Factory) showing how to make an electric foam cutter. For the demonstration, they were cutting pieces of styrofoam. It got me to wondering, could such a device also be used for cutting EVA foam? I'd imagine it might need a bit of modification from this particular design to be able to handle EVA, being that it is a more dense material. But if this could be done, it could certainly make for much easier and more accurate cuts. Seems like it wouldn't even be that difficult to reposition the base of the cutting wire to get more defined and accurate angled cuts, which would be really helpful for people like me whose hands aren't all that steady. I saw a response video altering the design to use a hacksaw jig for a more free-handed approach for those who do have steady hands.

Now, seeing as I have pretty much no experience whatsoever in using foam for armor building, I'd like to get the opinions of the more experienced builders and those who could actually experiment with this concept. Can it be done, and if so how well does it work in comparison to free-hand cutting? I'd imagine this approach would lessen, if not eliminate, the frequent need to replace cutting blades.

Ah little help for this nood

So guys i started a foam build and i have a few question.... about the tools and how to acquire them. I have a soldering iron and iv'e read of something called a hot knife attachment for one. dose anyone know were to get this? Also i'm having a hard time here in corona ca finding pva glue. Is there any other kind of glue i can use? Or is there a store that sells pav glue like home depot ?

So guys i started a foam build and i have a few question.... about the tools and how to acquire them. I have a soldering iron and iv'e read of something called a hot knife attachment for one. dose anyone know were to get this? Also i'm having a hard time here in corona ca finding pva glue. Is there any other kind of glue i can use? Or is there a store that sells pav glue like home depot ?

I've answered your pm about the glue but as for the hot knife I hear they're a bit clumsy to use ie not great for detailed cuts Becuase you can't hold them like a craft knife. Obviously with a craft knife you hold it near the blade which helps for those precise cuts.

I've answered your pm about the glue but as for the hot knife I hear they're a bit clumsy to use ie not great for detailed cuts Becuase you can't hold them like a craft knife. Obviously with a craft knife you hold it near the blade which helps for those precise cuts.

thanks so much ill show you my armor once ive got a peace ready XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back