Promethean knight build, yayyyy no 3D models and pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SodaPop

So! I've been working on blender since i finished Halo 4 working on making a model of a PromKnight, aaaaaand eventually got frustrated with their inhuman scaling and decided to do it by scratch. So finally today i got to putting together a foam helm. Would love people's input on it, details to add/take away etc, before i fiberglass the outside and finish it out.

(and before i get 10000 requests for it, YES i am putting orange LEDs to light up some reflective lenses with some white webbing on the front to get the "glowing eyes" look.)

UPDATE: Current status- before final smoothing and detailing, just making sure all the electronics were good to go
photo8.jpg

foampromhelmside.png

foampromhelmfront.png

not sure if images are going to work, at the very least the links should EDIT: ty to Lex blueriver for clearing up how to post pics

So! I've been working on blender since i finished Halo 4 working on making a model of a PromKnight, aaaaaand eventually got frustrated with their inhuman scaling and decided to do it by scratch. So finally today i got to putting together a foam helm. Would love people's input on it, details to add/take away etc, before i fiberglass the outside and finish it out.

(and before i get 10000 requests for it, YES i am putting orange LEDs to light up some reflective lenses with some white webbing on the front to get the "glowing eyes" look.)

foampromhelmside.png.html

foampromhelmfront.png.html

not sure if images are going to work, at the very least the links should

im having an issue seeing these pics :( i wana see lol

instead of using the link to the page where its posted, use the image's actual link. Looks awesome by the way!
foampromhelmside.png

foampromhelmfront.png

ahhhh thanks.

ideas/comments/concerns?

don't want to have to redo this, i want it to be great the first time. I'd rather restart now rather then later xD

I've no idea on the foam process, and that looks great, but my trained eye spots a possible delamination. When you turned your head right, where the yellow top part meets itself in the middle on the edge of the helmet it pops up a bit. I'm no expert, but you might want to glue that down.

I've no idea on the foam process, and that looks great, but my trained eye spots a possible delamination. When you turned your head right, where the yellow top part meets itself in the middle on the edge of the helmet it pops up a bit. I'm no expert, but you might want to glue that down.
ahhh it is, thanks. too tired, been working all day then i came home to throw this together. Probably shouldve looked it over better before i posted pictures of it :p.

yea i don't know a thing about the foam process either, but i was sick of using cardstock for modelling this, so i bought some thin craft foam at wal-mart on the way home and threw it together while looking at some screenshots. It was just going to be a "rough draft" i took pictures of in order to make a 3d model using 123D in order to make a pep file, but now i just want to fiberglass it in the large flat areas, and use bondo for the cramped detailed areas and use this for my final helmet. That should keep it plenty sturdy while the inner foam will be used as a place to put any more foam i need to use for comfort. but honestly, it's already "on" my head. i won't be able to fit too much more foam for comfort. The main problem with Promethean Knights are THEY AREN'T HUMANLY SCALED. If i were to make the helmet scaled to the body.... well let me put it this way, the only thing that fits inside of these helmets is just a skull :/ any larger of a central helm and it would look ridiculous

Hopefully :D pretty new to this. Worked with bondo on cars alot and fiberglass on boats but thats pretty much it

Don't get me wrong, thats a bitching helm you've got there.

I'd check to see if resin will react with the foam though. I hear it gets hot during the hardening process and warps foam pretty badly.

With something thats only vaguely humanoid, you're going to have to take a few liberties. If you're going for a full suit, I'd suggest making the arms out of cloth or vinyl or something, any bulk will take away from the spindly look they have.

Here's the helmet with a few last changes after talking to some friends of mine

I hadn't thought about the resin reacting with the foam. I'm not overly worried about warping, because There's a wooden skeleton running through this that actually makes it quite sturdy as of now. However i'm going to form some foam around a skeleton as a test piece and try the fiberglass on it first. Don't want to take any chances.

As you can see in the pictures, there a few flaws i plan on ironing out with the fiberglass and bondo. Tired of working with foam when i know i'll have to do quite a bit of the detail work again anyways. There is also some support structures to hold it's shape better while the fiberglass is curing.

promknightfoamfrontready.jpg

promknightfoamhelmbackready.jpg

promknightfoamhelmbotready.jpg

I've thought about their spindly look quite a bit. the inhuman scaling is a hell of a problem. My plan so far is:

- cut the arms along their seams and put bolts in the recessed places so that i can make the arm smaller than if i could slip my arm in, without it being unsturdy.

promknightarmidea.png

Great news!

did a test of the polyester resin i use on the foam, and they don't react! and with the proper supports, the model doesn't warp! Going ahead and fiberglassing the helmet. Worst case is, i lose $5 in foam and a few hours of work
foamresintest.jpg

I never noticed the little black arms on the knights, kinda reminds me of Pride from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Anyways, great looking build, nice to see something beside's the Chief every once in a while ;)

Yea, i was building a Mark VI suit (Meta from RvB), had just finished the forearms, was about to vacuum form the visor and thought

meh, why not a promethean knight from the new Halo game?

And the little black arms on the promethean knights are there, but people wouldnt say OMG THATS AWFUL if i didn't include them, so for now they aren't in the plan. However when i'm all done, i have an idea of little black arms with tough springs in the joints so that theyre given the impression of moving on their own when i do.

UPDATE on fiberglassing: it's taking FOREVER since i have to use a heat gun to let the resin cure. I should have it all done by late tonight, but jeeeeeez its a pain.

I found out why the resin curing isn't burning and warping the foam! Since it's cold where I am and i'm controlling the slowwwwww reaction with a heat gun, it's not heating up enough to warp! Yay science!

Bondo will probably warp some of the foam though, but at that point the fiberglass will hold the shape

ALSO: just ordered 40 0.8Lumen LEDs. I'll use them all and probably more by the end of the build. I'll grab some EL wire once i start the next piece, i don't need any for the helm. (Going to build the right arm, the Light Rifle next. It will be hollow with a place for me to put my arm inside)

The reason i'm building the light rifle next is that the controls for the suit's electronics will be inside it where the hand goes, and i don't want to have to rewire the suit to the controls once it's all done.

Like the fact some one is building something other than chief from H4 and lets face it they must have designed the mobs for us to build here at 405th :p. Oh and you will very much likely use all the LEDs as I bought 50 for my Masterchief suit and ended up using more than that. The grav hammer took about 75 alone.

Ahhhhh i remember reading your Grav Hammer build. I was actually pepping it before i got started on this

I wish the prometheans had a signature Melee Weapon instead of their left arm being a blade. Don't get me wrong, it's cool, but i wish it was a huge hammer or sword xD

Awesome that the fiberglass isnt warping or eating your foam! Seems like you've got a plan then. As for not having a special weapon to themselves, you could make one of your own. Just follow their theme, or stick a handle on their arm blade.

Awesome that the fiberglass isnt warping or eating your foam! Seems like you've got a plan then. As for not having a special weapon to themselves, you could make one of your own. Just follow their theme, or stick a handle on their arm blade.

well i'll vacuum form the arm blade out of some plexiglass i have lying around and stick a good amount of LEDs in there for good measure xD. The metal bar the blade comes out of will be hollow and my arm will go in there. Whether i put more controls in there or not depends on what else i add to the suit, as of now i don't plan on needing any more controls than helmet lights on/off, body lights on/off, and gun shoot. (flashing laser and airsoft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back