Hidden Blade commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starvinartist80

Okay,
So a friend of mine has asked me to attempt a new weapon prop for his Assassin's Creed Costume. He wants a dual action hidden blade prop. So I figure why not share the work?

This has proven to be a bigger challenge than I expected and it is by no means done or perfect. But considering it is my first scratch built weapon prop I'm pretty excited at where it is now.

Here are images of the current progress state:

These are all the pieces disassembled and then pieced together in order:

20121118_2060.jpg

20121118_2059.jpg

20121118_2058.jpg

20121118_2057.jpg

And then this is the release and retract mechanism working. (excuse the lousy video) Click the video thumbnail to view:

th_Movieon2012-11-18at0014.jpg

The release mechanism is based on an Out the Front auto-blade: otherwise known as an OTF Switchblade. The mechanism itself wasn't difficult to figure out. However, the pulley system that will be used to operate it is proving to be a big challenge. The problem I'm having at the moment is that the amount of tension on the spring needed to eject both sections of the blade is so tight that the pulley is binding up and not rotating completely. If I get a chance I'll post a drawing or two of the pulley system to better explain. But until then, if anyone is familiar with what I'm doing I'd be interested in any suggestions you might have.

Until next time... Build on people!

I feel your pain Starvin, I've spent a few months watching different videos, numerous threads, different builds all on the hidden blade, eventually I'll get one made that I like and don't feel is too bulky, and feels like it will last (rubber bands work great for everything, but i assume it won't last very long before they need replaced)

Good luck and I can't wait to see more.

I feel your pain Starvin, I've spent a few months watching different videos, numerous threads, different builds all on the hidden blade, eventually I'll get one made that I like and don't feel is too bulky, and feels like it will last (rubber bands work great for everything, but i assume it won't last very long before they need replaced)

Good luck and I can't wait to see more.

Yep the rubber bands do need to be replaced quickly. Also, they don't provide enough tension for two stage blade. They are fine for a single blade, however, to provide enough force to extend both sections I needed something with more tension. I've watched just about every video there is from other builders as well. It is crazy how difficult this actually is. :)

Hey man, this is looking amazing!
Might I ask if this was 3d printed, or manually built? It looks a lot like sintra.
I have one of Ammnra's gravity hidden blades (might I add, the only other human being besides him to own one) and I've dissected it to understand its mechanisms. I'm not sure if it would help out, since yours is automatic, but if any additional knowledge would help you, feel free to PM me. Such powerful knowledge may not be best placed freely throughout the web...
I'm excited to see what you do with this.

This looks great man! Is it made from plastic? Great job so far though bro , I can't wait to see this finished!

Very cool, I know that I've seen one very similar if not using the exact same mech on youtube not that long ago. I actualy tried to do one myself but figgured out that I couldnt find enough info on the OTF switchblade mech to model it accurately.

Just saying if you ever feel generous enough one of these days to leak designs to us mortals keep me on the list ;) And good work I hope this works out for you.

-Seth

Hey man, this is looking amazing!
Might I ask if this was 3d printed, or manually built? It looks a lot like sintra.
I have one of Ammnra's gravity hidden blades (might I add, the only other human being besides him to own one) and I've dissected it to understand its mechanisms. I'm not sure if it would help out, since yours is automatic, but if any additional knowledge would help you, feel free to PM me. Such powerful knowledge may not be best placed freely throughout the web...
I'm excited to see what you do with this.

This looks great man! Is it made from plastic? Great job so far though bro , I can't wait to see this finished!

It was made from scratch with sintra. Ammnra is where I first got the direction to head with this. He started with a dual action very similar to what I'm doing. He has the advantage of being able to 3D print parts specifically for the project so his mechanism is flawless. I wish I had that option but for now I have to just try to make due. His gravity blades are very nice and I'm a bit jealous that you got your hands on one. I will PM with questions as they arise. I may want to try a gravity blade next.

Thanks man. Always good to have you follow. I hope I'll be back on this after the holiday. I have to get my friend to look at what I have first so he can okay the progress so far.

Always good to follow :) lol.
Sounds like a solid plan. Have a great holiday and hope to see you back soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back