Halex's MkVI Build (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What scale number are you using if I can ask. I'm almost 6'3" and about 202lbs, so I'd be really close to yours.

I've had to make a few modifications to pieces beyond the scales, but overall this is what I've used.

1-14-201312-08-16AM_zps607b9aee.png

The boots are in red because I need to scale them up a little more, and the biceps are a bit tight. If I did it over again I'd scale them up a bit, but since they're resined already I'll see if they work this time.

Best of luck with your scaling!

wow, I can't believe how much I've missed of this build so far, those weapons are a work of art, very nicely done. Your armour is turning out quite nicely too, keep it up :)

since I last looked its all coming a long nicely and the DMR is particularly sweet!
I had a quick scan through to see but not sure if anyone might have covered this already. Some BB guns or Toy guns have detachable scopes with the full mechanism that you could steal off of them to fit to your gun. If you wanted to I can draw up a sketch of how the mechanism should look if you want to make your own.
Also as for the counter on the gun you can buy circuits that countdown at a button push (the trigger) using a digital display that can be programmed to start at a certain number.
I'm sure if you check the electronics sticky someone will have covered it already.

wow, I can't believe how much I've missed of this build so far, those weapons are a work of art, very nicely done. Your armour is turning out quite nicely too, keep it up :)

Thanks Sara! Really means a lot coming from you; I'm a huge fan of the work you've done on the RvB build. The level of detail you get from bondo is amazing.

since I last looked its all coming a long nicely and the DMR is particularly sweet!
I had a quick scan through to see but not sure if anyone might have covered this already. Some BB guns or Toy guns have detachable scopes with the full mechanism that you could steal off of them to fit to your gun. If you wanted to I can draw up a sketch of how the mechanism should look if you want to make your own.
Also as for the counter on the gun you can buy circuits that countdown at a button push (the trigger) using a digital display that can be programmed to start at a certain number.
I'm sure if you check the electronics sticky someone will have covered it already.

Hey DBMike, thanks for looking in again! I've seen some that were converted to sniper rifles but didn't consider getting one for the mechanism. I'll certainly keep that in mind for future builds. If you don't mind, that sketch would be awesome. Making things myself has always been my first choice, and I could always include with the next build as I'm sure there will be more.

As for the scope, the H4 DMR has such a unique one I wanted to emulate it as much as possible. Again, in the future I'll keep an eye out for suitable replacements that don't take two days to build.

On the plus side, the base and interior are hollow, so I can add some LED's once I practice a bit. I'll be okay with a static ammo counter, and it gives me the flexibility to add the distinctive glow from inside the scope too. I can also place the switch inside the mount (which will remain removable) so there will be no outward indications of a power switch.

Lots of ideas in my head, the challenge of course is making them real.

Should be back with a small update tonight showing the final detail pieces of the DMR attached.

Halex!

Amazing work. I love what your planing for the LED's on the torso.

You have another +1 subscriber.

:)

I'll echo the above comments about the weapons - the awesomity is maximal!

Thanks for posting your sizing measurements - I'm close to your build and will use them as reference as I scale other pieces :)

Halex!

Amazing work. I love what your planing for the LED's on the torso.

You have another +1 subscriber.

:)

Hey Longshot! Thanks for looking in, your build was one of the first I ever saw and proved very inspirational and informative. Your comments are much appreciated.

I'll echo the above comments about the weapons - the awesomity is maximal!

Thanks for posting your sizing measurements - I'm close to your build and will use them as reference as I scale other pieces :)

Glad to help out! Scaling's been rough for me... even when the thigh was the right height, I had to open it up and add some extra spacing. I think I'll also cut out the inside and make it foam instead, so I can somewhat resize at a later date if I manage to shrink a little.

--

And tonight's update! Nothing much, but I do think it's the last of the non-bondo detail I'll be adding to the DMR. Have a look...

I love it when I can look around my desk and find random items such as these...
2013-01-14005618.jpg

...and end up putting them together into this!
2013-01-14214710.jpg

Not quite the right placement, but it gets the point across.

Also added the front sight.
2013-01-14214746.jpg

FPS mode, engaged!
2013-01-14214812_zps9830c66c.jpg

And stronger than any weapon I could ever dream up... cat with laser eyes.
2012-12-17082803.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow it'll be warm enough I can do some more bondo on the helmet. Stupid helmet, taking forever! Can't seem to get it quite right, but just gotta keep on going.

'Till next time!

Solid build so far. Your skills at using sliced files are great, the pieces themselves are immaculate! Hopefully the precision is just as visible when you paint it!

That blue on the hand plates is gorgeous! Have you considered doing the three negative-circles in it, and possibly the indented horseshoe? I may have to try it on my own, my curiosity is piqued. As far as attaching them to the gloves, I've seen a couple people epoxy velcro to the of the hand plate, and stitch some to the top of the glove. Supposedly it makes it easier to get on and off, transport, and flex your hands, but it still holds really well. For the labels, maybe you could use tacky glue (or any flexible glue) to make it a smooth plate, and then paint it?

I really like the black that's on the body of the plates. It wouldn't happen to be a "Galaxy" Series from Rustoleum, would it? The little shiny particles give it some good depth and texture. It contrasts a bit with the grey though, because one seems glossy while the other is flat.

Solid build so far. Your skills at using sliced files are great, the pieces themselves are immaculate! Hopefully the precision is just as visible when you paint it!

That blue on the hand plates is gorgeous! Have you considered doing the three negative-circles in it, and possibly the indented horseshoe? I may have to try it on my own, my curiosity is piqued. As far as attaching them to the gloves, I've seen a couple people epoxy velcro to the of the hand plate, and stitch some to the top of the glove. Supposedly it makes it easier to get on and off, transport, and flex your hands, but it still holds really well. For the labels, maybe you could use tacky glue (or any flexible glue) to make it a smooth plate, and then paint it?

I really like the black that's on the body of the plates. It wouldn't happen to be a "Galaxy" Series from Rustoleum, would it? The little shiny particles give it some good depth and texture. It contrasts a bit with the grey though, because one seems glossy while the other is flat.

Hey Jake, thanks for the comments! I'm hoping that my bondo skills have come far enough by the time I start on them to keep the detail, too. Carpathiavh99 did a great job on the M6G; his file has a lot of detail in it already.

I had thought about doing the blue other places as well, but I'm trying to keep the basic pieces of the armor similar to in-game (with some artistic license, of course) and use the blue as an accent. I feel that if I don't use too much, it will make what's there stick out more. I'll also be using blue LED's in various places throughout the suit to help keep the color theme going.

The paint is the standard Home Depot Rustoleum metallic, the darkest one they have. I originally thought it was going to be a little lighter, but since I've painted the handplates I've come to like the near-black look. The recessed areas are done in black acrylic to give, as you said, contrast. Last night I put a coat of matte clear sealant over them both and I have to say, I love what it did. The metallic portion was dulled a little bit and looks much more authentic, but is still brighter than the acrylic portions. It might allow me to do a "gray-wash" as well, if I feel like it, as my first coats let the watery paint run right off.

If weather allows, tonight I'll be making the attachment mechanism for the torso, applying the first coat of resin to the rifle, and sectioning the forearms so I can get my hand into them. So much to do!

Thanks for the continued comments and support. All the great people here at the 405th really keep me going. You guys are the most amazing community and I'm glad to be a part of it!

Another weekend update! Not as much as I'd hoped, but it's all progress.

Put the first layer of bondo onto the pistol and sanded...
2013-01-19212528.jpg

And then the second. Added rounded portions to the front and back of the grip, but kept it otherwise accurate. Didn't get all through the sanding but definite progress.
2013-01-20182052.jpg

Also got a working chest attachment mechanism. Since I want to attach and remove various things from the sides (starting with the combat knife sheath), I went a different route than usual.

Taking a piece of strapping and cutting it down...
2013-01-19120824.jpg

Making a few scores...
2013-01-19124154.jpg

Then bending it and replicating.
2013-01-19133719.jpg

The final product, attached with Liquid Nails.
2013-01-20182247.jpg

And the two torso sections together.
2013-01-20182427.jpg

The washers are permanently attached to the front section, to help prevent the holes drilled from wearing/ripping over time. I'll use another piece of strapping attached to the back of the knife sheath, which can then be screwed down to hold everything together. I'll end up making two custom latches in case I don't want to use the knife but need something to cover the exposed bolts. No idea what they'll be like yet.

Last thing before darkness fell was a coat of primer and tons of spot putty onto the helmet. On a good note, I think it's almost ready to start the painting process. Few more bondo touchups, but nothing major.
2013-01-20181759.jpg

2013-01-20181739.jpg

2013-01-20181829.jpg

I really wanted to get more done this weekend, but it ended up taking forever to get the torso attachment right. Next up in the "how should this work" line is a forearm split. They're the right length but that's about it, and cutting out the opening didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

I rondo'd half of a bicep piece, but sadly that made it impossible to get on. Not entirely unexpected, but still a "Well... crap." moment. I'll be re-making both sides this week, as time allows, and hopefully a thigh too. That'll just leave the boots to be pepped, as I completed the second shin piece yesterday.

Please let me know what you guys think! Not a lot to look at this time, but comments are always welcome.

'Till next time!

Need some opinions!

Okay, I cut a piece out of the forearms to get them onto my arms. Once I did that, the age old question arose again... are they too small? I think they're a tiny bit on the short side, but I'm deciding whether to re-build them...

The forearm itself.
2013-01-25175628.jpg

And some perspective with the newly-pepped shoulder and finished handplate. Rebuilding the shoulders was one of my best decisions yet.
2013-01-25175301.jpg

The width feels perfect and it comes to the inside of my elbow, but if I cut out the back piece a bit I could get away with it being a little longer.

What do you guys think about the sizing?

Dang I missed your last update. It all looks awesome especially the pistol! Your helmet looks good too, I'm looking forward to getting tht far with mine.
As for your sizing issue, tbh it looks good but if anything elbow guard/point could be longer. I think it's meant to be a little more extended. But looks good. There should be a bit of a gap between pieces for practicality but also coz the chief doesn't have close nit armour. Story is the mk6 is obviously protected by shields so even the armour gaps aren't a chink.
Keep it as it is IMO :)

The pistol's looking really good as well as the helmet. I don't think the forearm is all that undersized, just make sure to factor in the padding as well when deciding whether or not it's too small

Thanks Sara! Really means a lot coming from you; I'm a huge fan of the work you've done on the RvB build. The level of detail you get from bondo is amazing.

Thank you very, very much :)

That pistol is fantastic, really brilliant work there. The helmet looks to be coming along well too, I think it'll look great once it's a solid colour, keep it up :) this is definitely a build to watch ;)

I think your forearm maybe be a tiny bit too small but not much, personally I think the forearms look better too small than too big.

Dang I missed your last update. It all looks awesome especially the pistol! Your helmet looks good too, I'm looking forward to getting tht far with mine.
As for your sizing issue, tbh it looks good but if anything elbow guard/point could be longer. I think it's meant to be a little more extended. But looks good. There should be a bit of a gap between pieces for practicality but also coz the chief doesn't have close nit armour. Story is the mk6 is obviously protected by shields so even the armour gaps aren't a chink.
Keep it as it is IMO :)

Thanks man! The practical part is what's getting me. Trying to keep accurate, but... yeah. Gotta make some sacrifices.

Man, this stuff looks great for a first build! Beautiful helmet, great work!

Thanks for checking it out! I'm really picky so anything that's off I obsess over until I'm satisfied. Takes a lot longer but in the end, I think it'll be worth it.

I just have one question about the bolts in the torso, and maybe i just missed it, but how do you plan on hiding them?

I actually changed out the 3/4 in bolts today for 1/2 in ones. Made a huge difference and reduced the profile a lot. As for hiding them, one side will have the combat knife mounted on it and the other will have one of the MkVI "locks", albeit a custom version.

The pistol's looking really good as well as the helmet. I don't think the forearm is all that undersized, just make sure to factor in the padding as well when deciding whether or not it's too small

The width was good, just the length I was worried about. There should be ample room for some interior padding.

Thank you very, very much :)

That pistol is fantastic, really brilliant work there. The helmet looks to be coming along well too, I think it'll look great once it's a solid colour, keep it up :) this is definitely a build to watch ;)

I think your forearm maybe be a tiny bit too small but not much, personally I think the forearms look better too small than too big.

Thanks Sara! I just watched your tutorial today, and I must say it was very helpful. Had some great advice in there on how to make the smaller details. Will be putting it to good use in the coming weeks!

I agree with the opinions on the forearms, and I decided to keep the ones I have. Worst case, I can make another pair once I've finished the rest of the build if I'm still not satisfied. I've hinged them already and am working on a way to keep them closed, but the fit is overall pretty good. Did some sanding on the pistol and finished up the two spots on the helmet I wasn't happy with.

Going to put a coat of primer on both tomorrow and see how they turn out. Pics of those and some forearms soon!

And another update... been a busy day.

Got the forearms mechanism worked out. Here it's closed.
2013-01-27185827.jpg

And this is the inside.
2013-01-27190031.jpg

The small metal piece is a cut down and rounded off piece of the metal strapping that I've been using so far. It's secured with Liquid Nails to the inside, with the neodymium magnet below. Should hold it securely shut.

Next, I wanted to get a coat of primer on the helmet. Sanded it down, applied the primer, then... DISASTER! The helmet fell off the bench and the chin piece broke off. After a few moments of words I cannot utter on these boards, I realized that I built it the first time, I can fix whatever went wrong. The piece was re-attached using a lot more bondo-hair with a bit of resin. All pics are after it was put back on. Won't take a lot to fix the remaining issues.

Some tape residue from when I was putting it back together.
2013-01-27184317.jpg

2013-01-27184351.jpg

2013-01-27184329.jpg

2013-01-27184605.jpg

2013-01-27184537.jpg

A little bondo and some spots of primer and it'll be ready to keep going. Not a huge setback, though rebuilding those light housings on the sides is going to be a pain.

Also threw a layer of primer on the pistol... overall very happy, but still needs detail work on the inside corners and slide/sight. You can see a few of the rough corners in the picture below.

2013-01-27184743.jpg

In addition, got the new shoulders resin'd inside and out. Hope to get them hardened tomorrow. Will post more pics when I have them; helmet, pistol, and forearms all in line for bondo/details and painting.

'Till next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back