A-Level Iron Man Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I managed to convince my tutor for my Design Technology A level I can, 1. Build an entire wearable Iron Man suit, and 2. I can have it finished by march. Seems plausible to me.

So, the plan.
-Suit will be the Avengers Mark 7.
-The suit will be 70% Rigid parts, involving pep, casting and Vac forming. The other 30% comprises of parts like the neck seal, Ab plates and iconic gloves. These will be built from Eva and craft foam.
-Mounting will consist of various straps, clips and lots of elastic.
Motorised parts.
-The iconic visor lift will be incorporated, as well as the shoulders and forearms sliding back/up to reveal weaponry. However, I seriously doubt i will have the time or funds to do this before completion, and so have not included this in my spec. I will make the moving/splitting parts separate, and ad hinges and such once I have the time.

Pictures!

-Adhering to a popular term around here; 'Pics, or it didn't happen!'
-Of course, I started with the helmet:

update1pic1.png

update1pic2.png

update1pic4.png

update1pic3.png

Main shape is done. Just imperfections to get rid of now. The 'ear' pieces are going to be vacuum formed. Jaw is almost done, just a tiny bit of filling on the small imperfections. Unfortunately, this was my first pep, and the jaw warped. After fixing this, I also noticed the faceplate had warped along with the jaw. I decided to make a new faceplate (which is why it is only at the first resin stage. I also have to patch a hole near the top, there the resin had not taken properly, and left some of the card flimsy.

Comments/Ideas/Crit Is very much welcome.

-Ill whack up some of my coursework soon too.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good start to your project, your off to a flying start! Wish I could have done something like this for my final year project at uni.
Good luck with the rest :)

Mike

This is looking very good. Nice, hard edges. Very clean from what I can tell. This really makes me wish that I went the paper route rather than foam. Good job though!

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep 'em coming.

So today I created a mould for the 'ear' pieces. they were tough to form, I had to drill quite a few hole in the mould, but I got the shape in the end.
Of course they need more sanding, cleaning up and filling. but its a nice place to start. Also i plan to store the batteries underneath the 'ear' piece (remember I'm making this suit as a 'product' -Taping batteries to the inside just wont cut it ;) )

update2pic1o.png

update2pic2.png

update2pic3.png

update2pic4.png

Comments/Crit is welcome :3

edit: credit to my mate Doug for help with the vacuum forming.

Edit: oh and a little more sanding/shaping.

At first I didn't think the vacuformed parts were such a good idea, but now after seeing them I think you did a great job pulling it off. I wish you luck!

Helmet looks awesome! Every time I see an Iron Man build it cements the idea of tackling a suit after my Halo build is complete.

Small update, most of my time is spent with the paperwork of my coursework, but after a few hours of assembling, modifying and re-assembling my hinges, I have this.

Updates Soon guys :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back