Damn - resizing mistake and help with rectifying please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMagicNumber

To all the seasoned members you've no doubt seen this mistake/ topic a hundred times but unfortunately I need to ask for some help with a sizing/ scaling mistake.

I built the HD Chest by FlyingSquirrel @ a scale factor of 2.755628 this gave me a finished height of 460mm - after putting the piece on it felt too big and after measuring (correctly) and asking for help from another member I realised my factor should've been 2.432142 to give me a finished height of 406mm - around a 54mm difference.
My question is should I scrap the piece and start again, ignore it as the mistake won't be that noticeable or can I cut and shut somehow to make it a more realistic size.

Helppppppp :D

Thanks

While it is possible that you can ignore it, what may end up happening is that your shoulder pieces don't fit well with it hanging wide on your shoulders. For one of mine during the pep stage I removed about an inch wide strip down the center of it, and down the back. That let it fit a bit better width wise, though it till ended up being too tall and would have needed some more cutdowns.

If you can, grab the ultra low-def models and use them as scale testers. It's taking me 2-3 testers in order to get the sizing right, and it sucks to kick in 10 hours on a piece that doesn't fit, versus 3-4 on one to make sure.

While it is possible that you can ignore it, what may end up happening is that your shoulder pieces don't fit well with it hanging wide on your shoulders. For one of mine during the pep stage I removed about an inch wide strip down the center of it, and down the back. That let it fit a bit better width wise, though it till ended up being too tall and would have needed some more cutdowns.

If you can, grab the ultra low-def models and use them as scale testers. It's taking me 2-3 testers in order to get the sizing right, and it sucks to kick in 10 hours on a piece that doesn't fit, versus 3-4 on one to make sure.

Thanks for the reply.
Totally agree with that. I was looking and trying to work out what to do, but as you say even if I chop out an inch to correct the width the height and overall bulk is still going to look wrong.
Can you remember how much out of scale your 'mistakes' were? Is 54mm a lot or did you have to make much larger reductions (yes I'm really trying to get away with it :p ).

Ouch!
If you can try and hack some bits out where. It won't be noticeable to have to re-do 10hours of work would really suck!

A hint to help with scale, the height is from the top of the highest point to the bottom of the lowest point on the model so you can measure that out on a tape measure and put it next to yourself for a size idea.
Same for width, it's across the widest point.

Hope that helps, seriously hope you can trim it down rather than have to rebuild

Ouch!
If you can try and hack some bits out where. It won't be noticeable to have to re-do 10hours of work would really suck!

A hint to help with scale, the height is from the top of the highest point to the bottom of the lowest point on the model so you can measure that out on a tape measure and put it next to yourself for a size idea.
Same for width, it's across the widest point.

Hope that helps, seriously hope you can trim it down rather than have to rebuild

Yeah I get the measuring technique now, I just found it hard with the chest piece cos've the crazy shape and the overhang of parts.
I've decided to scrap it anyway and rebuild, if I don't it'll always bother me :D

yes you should rebuild it. Make sure that you measure the width part too. From your body measure from under your left arm pit to your right and make sure the number is close to the one in pep file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back