Custom Halo-inspired armor build for five~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prussianlove

Hello, comrades of the four-oh-fifth infantry division. I somehow managed to grab a group of interested people who want to go with me to 2013's MechaCon IX at the Hilton New Orleans. We have three troopers, a recon, and a guy in power armor.

Let me cut to the chase. I'm doing my build essentially with EVA floor mats, foamies, and a helluva lot of hot glue. This isn't my first rodeo, but it is my first of this scope and the first I'm starting early so that it looks good. I have two large problems: One, I have five people to make for, so while I have until August, that still doesn't give me a lot of time. Two, The armor designs are all from my imagination. So that essentially rules out using pepakura bases and cutting them out, unless I feel like learning how to make 3D models, which I really DON'T. I got bored this week, and decided to start on my boots. I'm on Boot design Mk V, and it's coming together well. I'm using the foamboard pieces I had originally intended to use as templates for the foamies I'm simply going to double-stack to give the plated look. I'll have my design pics up really soon and my WIP pics even sooner.

The designs!

Now it's time to go in depth.

Three of our group of five, (myself, our sniper, our medic, and our tech officer) will be wearing the "standard issue" Unity Armor Mk. IV (I apologize for image quality, I took the pictures on my phone. Also, tell me if the images are too big .~.).
unity_armor_mk_iv_by_fionafoxrulesx9-d5m6ijv.jpg

The helmet is pretty much just a sketch. The full design will somewhat follow that, but I will have to improvise. The helmet is to have electronics. My friend and I are cannibalizing cheap walkie talkies in order to make an effective system of short-range communications for the convention. The visor will hopefully be able to lift up into the helmet if the wearer wishes, the jaw pieces have LEDs for a flashlight, and there will be strips of LEDs or EL tape to simulate an energy shield generator.
The blank ares on the spine is where we're going to stow our battery boxes. Also on the back we'll be using small neodymium magnets to secure our weapons without straps, which I will ALSO be making. .~. The upper leg system is a tasset system as opposed to greaves, simply because tassets are awesome and I hate codpieces. Anywho, the bracer you see on the right-hand side is simply to give an idea of what I expect our tech officer's walkie-talkie bracer to look like, as he has opted to go sans-helmet.
close_up__recon_torso_by_fionafoxrulesx9-d5m6iv1.jpg

This is simply the body of the recon armor our one female party member is wearing. It has a lot less bulk, which saves me materials and also looks pretty flakking (as in the flak cannon ;D) awesome. The rest of her armor is identical with the exception of a lack of kneeplates, elbow plates, the removal of the bottom row of tassets, and the removal of the over-pauldron.
I haven't designed out power armor for our party's fifth and final member, but my inspiration so far is Fallout's T-51b power armor, just because of its simplicity. The friend that's wearing this is our ACTUAL tech genius, and we're adding in tons of lights and large LED cords and whatnot that he will be programming himself with an arduino computer he also built himself.

Boot pics should be coming up soon. Thanks for following!

Good luck on your project. My suit also has a similar timetable.......but its only 1 suit, not 5! This will be quite the undertaking.

Delays

Sorry about the double-post.

School is making it harder and harder to continue work, though I have plans set up. I will try to get the boots started if not done tonight. If done, I will post pictures.

Sorry guys :I

- Edit Even MORE Delays

It's been a while, and unfortunately this is due to the boots giving me a hell of a lot of trouble. I didn't want to fully armor-plate the boot; I wanted it to look like a combat boot with plates oif armor attached. However, None of the ways I'm trying are working and it's frustrating me past the point of wanting to do this anymore. I'll see if stuffing mannequins makes me feel better.

Due to the lack of interest, vested and non, by the members of this project that are not myself, it is being scrapped, much to my regret.

I would like to ask that a moderator close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back