Newest update on halo files from .PDO / .OBJ converted to .STL (CnC) cuttable weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavior217

I'm making very good progress. Update in converting .PDO and .OBJ files into something people can cut from CnC. Just point click and print. (For those who have a difficult time with pepakura or do not have the money to shell out 1,000 dollars for a full suit and weapons). By my estimate this way will cost you at the max 300 dollars if you do it in wood from home depot. About 1/3rd the cost less than traditional methods and it still looks great. You can have this inserted into a 3D printer and have yourself PBS Plastic made into your very own halo armor. The professional elite look for pennies on the dollar.

Update I have my prototype version of the halo Tactical Combat Knife converted to .STL. I have the Halo Tactical Shotgun in .STL. I have Matyn Lee’s Battle Rifle in STL. I converted a random file for the M6 Magnum I found online in high def into .STL. And I have the H3 ODST SMG converted in .STL. I also have the Adam Grumbo's AR Rifle in high res in .STL. The only thing I'm missing is the sniper rifle

.STL Files can be cut in CnC. I need someone to please size me master chiefs armor for all the halos for me in a zip file non rared if you please. I need it in 6 feet tall, 5 foot 5, 5 foot 10, 5 foot 8 and 4 foot please in male and female versions. I need it in OBJ format not .PDO took me forver to fight with my Pep Designer to convert it to .OBJ than took me forever to figure out how I did it the first time to convert it to .STL. I got it down now pat. I just need someone to please size me up all the halo master chief armor sets for guys and gals in these sizes for me if they could please.

Oh also I converted from Star Wars models I drew in Google sketch into .STL so you can print your very own light saber in CnC. I have han solos hand blaster in .STl and a few other kewl models.

I appreciate people bringing new ideas, but all of these numbers seem inflated, and smell slightly of snake oil. I haven't found any pictures of pepakura or cnc work in your posts, so I am a bit curious if you've done much of either in practice yet?

Having finished a couple helmets, I don't know where you are getting the 1000$ point from. The paper cost 10$, if you don't suck with bondo you can make a one gallon can last you helmet chest and arms for 20$, 6$ for a yard of fiberglass, 20$ for a can of resin, and... if you wanna be cheap like 5$ for some spray paint? That's 61$ for the torso, double it to get the full set at 100$ on the cheap and dirty end, even if you want to be a pessimist and say you REALLY blow at bondo, or want to squeeze out a lot of detail or add some extras, that's still only going to bump you up to 200 or 300$.

And on the CNC routing of things, you can buy some MDF on the cheap, and hire someone to route it out for you, but it's not going to be 50$. It takes about 6 hours to do a good quality routing of a helmet, and there's no way they're going to let someone hog a cnc machine for 24+ hours (for the full set) for only 50$. There is more as well: Wearing it. While you could probably prepare a file to be cut into the wood to have a hole for your head/chest/whatever, MDF is going to need to be thick in order to not break apart, and thick means heavy. Someone a few weeks ago was trying to rally support for milling a helmet out of a block of aluminum, which has similar problems, on top of all the wasted aluminum you mill out hollowing the inside. The real purpose of CNC routing armor into wood is for vacuum forming. If you have a vac-form machine, which is going to be 500$+ for something worthwhile (the 50$ vac-forming machines have no reliable heating mechanism, a weak vacuum, and no good way to clamp the plastic down), then you can vac form some sheets of styrene or whatever and make yourself some good wearable armor that won't break your back (this is how Lucas did it for all of the star wars movies, though I think they hand made their vac-form bucks).

cncstorm01.jpg

That's 1/8 of the stormtrooper helmet I'm making with some friends. The thing weighs a good 10 pounds. I also realize it's probably the most boring slice of the entire helmet, but we wanted to start with the widest part to be a test bed and base for the rest. That one part took about 1.5 hours and our router is no slouch.

I'm not saying CNC milling is a bad idea, quite the contrary (heck, I'm doing it), but it is definitely not a cheap and easy way, and you will NOT have wearable armor right off the cutting table. The amount of post work that goes into the piece is going to be on par with just pepping it yourself. I used a 0.25 inch bit to cut that helmet slice, .25 is the second largest bit my router accepts, and that still took 1.5 hours. The larger bit means a lower resolution, which means more smoothing post work (I could go with a 0.125 inch bit, but it'd take 2-3 hours per slice). Then it needs to be broken apart into vacuum formable parts, and then the process of vac-forming the piece (which is probably not going to be very hard, since we have a very nice vac-former).

I don't intend to discourage you, but it does seem like you are trying to run before you've learned to walk, in metaphorical terms of armor making, and I'd love to get a better idea of your actual plans on armor making.

The method you seem to be using is backwards if I'm permitted to be frank. I don't know how else to explain this

-----> CnC out side of the helmet Once the outside of the design is milled stop the machine. <-------------Flip over the helmet have the CnC mill it out like you would a bowl. After it's done cut out where the face plate out to be and wallah you have the finnished peice.

This is the cheap idea I have. A block of wood that is about 17 inchs by 17 inches cost about 40 bucks at Home Depot. If you machine your helmet right you should have very little waste at the end of it. You do not have to do slice idea. THe end idea I"m trying to get to is 3D Printing from a FORTUS 900MC. It cost 450,000.00 dollars. I'm curnetly trying to get a small buisness loan so I can obtain 2 mill for a FORTUS 900MC, NextEngine 3D scanner, a PlasmaCam CnC machine that can cut steel or wood. The NextEngine cost 2,500 and it scans objects into 3D in DXF or .STL. The FOTUS 900MC is a 3D printer. It prints millicron by militcron until you have a finnished 1:1 part. There is 0 casting and 0 machining. Just take it off the base and you have a finnished part. The PlasmaCam CnC machine can cut wood by 35 feet wide by 35 feet wide into any 3D object you want. How do I know? The Disney movie cars used the nextengine scanner and the PlasmaCam to create 1:1 recreations of the actual cars themself's for the animators so they could get better refernces. I intend to use the machines to create my own manufacturing company but on the side when I'm not bussy I intend to scan made Pepakura or parts made and upload the parts on here in .OBJ, .Pdo, .STL and DFX Format. When I build a part I'll record it and upload it to youtube so you can see how I build them.

http://s1281.beta.photobucket.com/us...97343867703113
^ link to the photo of the part in CnC format. No snake oil dude!!!

Where am I getting 1000 dollars from. Google how much it cost to buy resign. People say it cost them 100 dollars to 200 dollars per bucket they buy. Adam Grumbos videos tell you that you have to mix A plastic with B plastic and that's just to get a thin layer for a rubber seperator. Than you have to do a plaster of paris outer shell for the mold. Than you have to buy more expernsive resign or liquid fiberglass to fill it. Ithica's post and youtube vids say it cost him about 50 dollars to 200 dollars per cast. That's alot. My idea if you buy a block of 17 inches by 17 inchs square of wood and machine the outside so you have the designed desired look. Than you flip it over and machine out the inside. I think you're upset that I'm trying to steer people away from tradtional ways of making it by origami by painstakingly cutting it out. Trying to crease the line properly. Glue it right than having to spray fiberglass harderner on it with fiberglass mats. If you read Ithicas noob required mats to be safe the mats are well over 500 dollars. Military Steel Toe boots minimal go for 60 dollars max about 200. Pants he suggest about 60 bucks. Breathing mask he suggest another 60 dollars. Spray paint to make your models easily over 100 dollars if you want it to look nice. I don't think you did a proper inventroy list on the very items and the penny by penny cost that goes into making helmets, or armor.

I appreciate people bringing new ideas, but all of these numbers seem inflated, and smell slightly of snake oil. I haven't found any pictures of pepakura or cnc work in your posts, so I am a bit curious if you've done much of either in practice yet?

Having finished a couple helmets, I don't know where you are getting the 1000$ point from. The paper cost 10$, if you don't suck with bondo you can make a one gallon can last you helmet chest and arms for 20$, 6$ for a yard of fiberglass, 20$ for a can of resin, and... if you wanna be cheap like 5$ for some spray paint? That's 61$ for the torso, double it to get the full set at 100$ on the cheap and dirty end, even if you want to be a pessimist and say you REALLY blow at bondo, or want to squeeze out a lot of detail or add some extras, that's still only going to bump you up to 200 or 300$.

And on the CNC routing of things, you can buy some MDF on the cheap, and hire someone to route it out for you, but it's not going to be 50$. It takes about 6 hours to do a good quality routing of a helmet, and there's no way they're going to let someone hog a cnc machine for 24+ hours (for the full set) for only 50$. There is more as well: Wearing it. While you could probably prepare a file to be cut into the wood to have a hole for your head/chest/whatever, MDF is going to need to be thick in order to not break apart, and thick means heavy. Someone a few weeks ago was trying to rally support for milling a helmet out of a block of aluminum, which has similar problems, on top of all the wasted aluminum you mill out hollowing the inside. The real purpose of CNC routing armor into wood is for vacuum forming. If you have a vac-form machine, which is going to be 500$+ for something worthwhile (the 50$ vac-forming machines have no reliable heating mechanism, a weak vacuum, and no good way to clamp the plastic down), then you can vac form some sheets of styrene or whatever and make yourself some good wearable armor that won't break your back (this is how Lucas did it for all of the star wars movies, though I think they hand made their vac-form bucks).

cncstorm01.jpg

That's 1/8 of the stormtrooper helmet I'm making with some friends. The thing weighs a good 10 pounds. I also realize it's probably the most boring slice of the entire helmet, but we wanted to start with the widest part to be a test bed and base for the rest. That one part took about 1.5 hours and our router is no slouch.

I'm not saying CNC milling is a bad idea, quite the contrary (heck, I'm doing it), but it is definitely not a cheap and easy way, and you will NOT have wearable armor right off the cutting table. The amount of post work that goes into the piece is going to be on par with just pepping it yourself. I used a 0.25 inch bit to cut that helmet slice, .25 is the second largest bit my router accepts, and that still took 1.5 hours. The larger bit means a lower resolution, which means more smoothing post work (I could go with a 0.125 inch bit, but it'd take 2-3 hours per slice). Then it needs to be broken apart into vacuum formable parts, and then the process of vac-forming the piece (which is probably not going to be very hard, since we have a very nice vac-former).

I don't intend to discourage you, but it does seem like you are trying to run before you've learned to walk, in metaphorical terms of armor making, and I'd love to get a better idea of your actual plans on armor making.

grandun66 on youtube uses CnC. BlueRelm Studios downloaded a tut to scratch build a pirated CnC Machine. Adam Grumbo has a CnC machine that he uses to turn out peices of his armor. Their armor builds are some of the better built models I've seen on this site. Don't get me wrong they're are some tallanted papakura scratch builders on here. But look how flush and prefect their models and armor looks compared to those who use pep. The old way is good if you know what you're doing. It's a complicated way of making a plaster of paris cast but it's with fiberglass and not molten metal. Some of the molds don't look that great but it's awsome they're trying. even the people on this master prop makers site on this 30 minute video on youtube say that 1/2 of the pep makers arn't that good.

These are the people who make props for the big screens. Which this site was modled off their design. Granted it's a good set up but why not do it the way the pros do it. There are pros in craft making and there are hobbyist. Why not do it the proffesional way but dirt cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
The method you seem to be using is backwards if I'm permitted to be frank. I don't know how else to explain this

So long as we're being frank, I feel a few things really need to be cleared up here.

First off...

-----> CnC out side of the helmet Once the outside of the design is milled stop the machine. <-------------Flip over the helmet have the CnC mill it out like you would a bowl. After it's done cut out where the face plate out to be and wallah you have the finnished peice.

Have you ever used a CNC machine? I have, and while I agree that using one to carve the outside of a helmet is possible (Benstreeper has done this), simply flipping it over and letting the CNC mill out the inside is near impossible and very dangerous with out some kind of elaborate and expensive restraining device. Most people, when using a CNC to carve out a helmet, will continue by making a mold from that carved block of wood, then casting hollow copies; very expensive.

This is the cheap idea I have. A block of wood that is about 17 inchs by 17 inches cost about 40 bucks at Home Depot.

Show a link to this. I've spent a fair amount of time in hardware stores like Home Depot, Lowes and Menards and have never seen a huge chunk of wood like this, especially for $40.

If you machine your helmet right you should have very little waste at the end of it.

I don't mean to go all Dwight Schrute on you, but... False. If you started with a block of wood (assuming you could find one) and milled it down to a helmet, then somehow managed to hollow it out, you'd have cut away about 80% of that block of wood, all of which is waste.

Then you go into this...

You do not have to do slice idea. THe end idea I"m trying to get to is 3D Printing from a FORTUS 900MC. It cost 450,000.00 dollars. I'm curnetly trying to get a small buisness loan so I can obtain 2 mill for a FORTUS 900MC, NextEngine 3D scanner, a PlasmaCam CnC machine that can cut steel or wood. The NextEngine cost 2,500 and it scans objects into 3D in DXF or .STL. The FOTUS 900MC is a 3D printer. It prints millicron by militcron until you have a finnished 1:1 part. There is 0 casting and 0 machining. Just take it off the base and you have a finnished part. The PlasmaCam CnC machine can cut wood by 35 feet wide by 35 feet wide into any 3D object you want. How do I know? The Disney movie cars used the nextengine scanner and the PlasmaCam to create 1:1 recreations of the actual cars themself's for the animators so they could get better refernces. I intend to use the machines to create my own manufacturing company but on the side when I'm not bussy I intend to scan made Pepakura or parts made and upload the parts on here in .OBJ, .Pdo, .STL and DFX Format. When I build a part I'll record it and upload it to youtube so you can see how I build them.

This describes 3D printing. What happened to using the CNC?

http://s1281.beta.photobucket.com/us...97343867703113
^ link to the photo of the part in CnC format. No snake oil dude!!!

...broken link.

Where am I getting 1000 dollars from. Google how much it cost to buy resign. People say it cost them 100 dollars to 200 dollars per bucket they buy. Adam Grumbos videos tell you that you have to mix A plastic with B plastic and that's just to get a thin layer for a rubber seperator. Than you have to do a plaster of paris outer shell for the mold. Than you have to buy more expernsive resign or liquid fiberglass to fill it. Ithica's post and youtube vids say it cost him about 50 dollars to 200 dollars per cast. That's alot. My idea if you buy a block of 17 inches by 17 inchs square of wood and machine the outside so you have the designed desired look. Than you flip it over and machine out the inside. I think you're upset that I'm trying to steer people away from tradtional ways of making it by origami by painstakingly cutting it out. Trying to crease the line properly. Glue it right than having to spray fiberglass harderner on it with fiberglass mats. If you read Ithicas noob required mats to be safe the mats are well over 500 dollars. Military Steel Toe boots minimal go for 60 dollars max about 200. Pants he suggest about 60 bucks. Breathing mask he suggest another 60 dollars. Spray paint to make your models easily over 100 dollars if you want it to look nice. I don't think you did a proper inventroy list on the very items and the penny by penny cost that goes into making helmets, or armor.

I think you have your armor-building techniques and products confused here. You start out describing materials needed to make molds and casts, which most people here on the forums do not do. Then you claim that the "mats are well over 500 dollars." What? Paper is cheap, less than $15 for 250 sheets. Fiberglass mat and fiberglass cloth cost a few dollars for a 3' x 3' sheet. At most, for my entire suit, I spent less than $50 for fiberglass cloth and mat. Resin is only about $25 -$30 per gallon, depending on where you live; I've heard it cost as much as $40, but never $100. Bondo filler is about $20 per gallon. Then there are the other materials you point out which were suggested by Ithica (which by the way has since deactivated his account). These are merely suggestions, not requirements, meant to point a potential costumer in the right direction. Very few people actually spend as much as you're suggesting. I got my boots for less than $30, my pants for $20, my respirator (breathing mask) for half of what you have listed and only spent about $80 for the paint for my armor (which, if you've ever seen how I do my paint jobs, you'll know I use a lot of paint, probably twice as much as many others use). All-in-all, I'd estimate the materials for my suit (including the cardstock, resin, bondo, glazing putty, fiberglass cloth/mat, strapping, buckles, padding, electronics, the visor, paint, materials for the undersuit, clothes worn under the armor) to be around $500, $600 tops; not much more than the method you've suggested if you consider the cost per hour of using a CNC machine, and a lot lighter than wearing wood.

grandun66 on youtube uses CnC.

When does he mention this? I honestly want to know, because he is a member of the forums (LeeKegan), and from what I remember, he did all his work by hand. Even if he did use a CNC, however, he only dealt with weapons, not armor. Wood is a great medium for building weapons.

BlueRelm Studios downloaded a tut to scratch build a pirated CnC Machine. Adam Grumbo has a CnC machine that he uses to turn out peices of his armor. Their armor builds are some of the better built models I've seen on this site. Don't get me wrong they're are some tallanted papakura scratch builders on here. But look how flush and prefect their models and armor looks compared to those who use pep. The old way is good if you know what you're doing. It's a complicated way of making a plaster of paris cast but it's with fiberglass and not molten metal. Some of the molds don't look that great but it's awsome they're trying. even the people on this master prop makers site on this 30 minute video on youtube say that 1/2 of the pep makers arn't that good.

The armor built by entities like Bluerealm Studios, Legendary Armor and Nightmare Armor Studios is great, no doubt about that, but it's all they do. It's their job, not their hobby. They get paid to crank out pieces of armor and are expected to deliver quality products, which makes it a stressful endeavor. I don't know about anyone else here, but I think it's safe to assume that people do a hobby to get away from stress. I wouldn't go so far as to call how many people here create armor "the old way." If you take a few minutes to actually look around, you'll see that many talented members are devising new and innovative ways to tackle this hobby, and others are taking those new methods and expanding off of them, creating even more new methods. And even if a method is "old," if it works, why change it? That's like walking up to a fisherman, taking the old reel out of his hands that he had been using to catch fish his whole life and saying, here, try this new reel, it'll do the same job as your old one, but it's new.

Granted it's a good set up but why not do it the way the pros do it. There are pros in craft making and there are hobbyist. Why not do it the proffesional way but dirt cheap.

Because we're not pros, we're hobbyists. This is not a source of money for us, it's a hobby. We like to create something with our hands, then sit back and say, "I built that," even if it looks like junk. Many of us would not want that taken away to have a machine build it for us. Sure, you might end up with a great suit of armor, but you wouldn't be able to honestly say that you built it yourself.

OK, that's the end of my rant. I don't normally do that, but someone contacted me with concerns that this might provide newcomers with inaccurate information about the hobby.

I'm all for using new and innovative ways to create armor and props, but please try not to ram it down our throats. People will gravitate toward a particular technique or way to do things; all you can do is show us what you can do (which you actually have yet to do).

Wy do you keep making topics with the same things described within them??

just stick with one thread please. And continue updating that thread.

Sources I've quoted was from Adam Grumbo, Ithica and your mods in their utube vids.

So long as we're being frank, I feel a few things really need to be cleared up here.

First off...

Have you ever used a CNC machine? I have, and while I agree that using one to carve the outside of a helmet is possible (Benstreeper has done this), simply flipping it over and letting the CNC mill out the inside is near impossible and very dangerous with out some kind of elaborate and expensive restraining device. Most people, when using a CNC to carve out a helmet, will continue by making a mold from that carved block of wood, then casting hollow copies; very expensive.

Show a link to this. I've spent a fair amount of time in hardware stores like Home Depot, Lowes and Menards and have never seen a huge chunk of wood like this, especially for $40.

I don't mean to go all Dwight Schrute on you, but... False. If you started with a block of wood (assuming you could find one) and milled it down to a helmet, then somehow managed to hollow it out, you'd have cut away about 80% of that block of wood, all of which is waste.

Then you go into this...

...broken link.

I think you have your armor-building techniques and products confused here. You start out describing materials needed to make molds and casts, which most people here on the forums do not do. Then you claim that the "mats are well over 500 dollars." What? Paper is cheap, less than $15 for 250 sheets. Fiberglass mat and fiberglass cloth cost a few dollars for a 3' x 3' sheet. At most, for my entire suit, I spent less than $50 for fiberglass cloth and mat. Resin is only about $25 -$30 per gallon, depending on where you live; I've heard it cost as much as $40, but never $100. Bondo filler is about $20 per gallon. Then there are the other materials you point out which were suggested by Ithica (which by the way has since deactivated his account). These are merely suggestions, not requirements, meant to point a potential costumer in the right direction. Very few people actually spend as much as you're suggesting. I got my boots for less than $30, my pants for $20, my respirator (breathing mask) for half of what you have listed and only spent about $80 for the paint for my armor (which, if you've ever seen how I do my paint jobs, you'll know I use a lot of paint, probably twice as much as many others use). All-in-all, I'd estimate the materials for my suit (including the cardstock, resin, bondo, glazing putty, fiberglass cloth/mat, strapping, buckles, padding, electronics, the visor, paint, materials for the undersuit, clothes worn under the armor) to be around $500, $600 tops; not much more than the method you've suggested if you consider the cost per hour of using a CNC machine, and a lot lighter than wearing wood.

When does he mention this? I honestly want to know, because he is a member of the forums (LeeKegan), and from what I remember, he did all his work by hand. Even if he did use a CNC, however, he only dealt with weapons, not armor. Wood is a great medium for building weapons.

The armor built by entities like Bluerealm Studios, Legendary Armor and Nightmare Armor Studios is great, no doubt about that, but it's all they do. It's their job, not their hobby. They get paid to crank out pieces of armor and are expected to deliver quality products, which makes it a stressful endeavor. I don't know about anyone else here, but I think it's safe to assume that people do a hobby to get away from stress. I wouldn't go so far as to call how many people here create armor "the old way." If you take a few minutes to actually look around, you'll see that many talented members are devising new and innovative ways to tackle this hobby, and others are taking those new methods and expanding off of them, creating even more new methods. And even if a method is "old," if it works, why change it? That's like walking up to a fisherman, taking the old reel out of his hands that he had been using to catch fish his whole life and saying, here, try this new reel, it'll do the same job as your old one, but it's new.

Because we're not pros, we're hobbyists. This is not a source of money for us, it's a hobby. We like to create something with our hands, then sit back and say, "I built that," even if it looks like junk. Many of us would not want that taken away to have a machine build it for us. Sure, you might end up with a great suit of armor, but you wouldn't be able to honestly say that you built it yourself.

OK, that's the end of my rant. I don't normally do that, but someone contacted me with concerns that this might provide newcomers with inaccurate information about the hobby.

I'm all for using new and innovative ways to create armor and props, but please try not to ram it down our throats. People will gravitate toward a particular technique or way to do things; all you can do is show us what you can do (which you actually have yet to do).

http://s1281.beta.photobucket.com/u...g.html?&_suid=1354262223508020375723158271214

Scroll through. Rubber band gun made from CnC and weapons. Yeah I stated many different proffesional ways a hobbist can make armor and weapons. 3D Printing is one way. CnC is the cheapier of the two. Let me know if you got that concept or if I need to go into further detail.

2nd. Adam Grumbo has said he's spent over 200 dollars per cast on some of his videos. Ouch where as you've claimed without any proof that you've spent less. I'm more adpt to belive your fearless leader than you. Ithica has listed in the noob required mats. The required mats if you go price shopping in any military store you'll find the cost not false that you would spent a min of almost 500 dollars on all the required material he's asking you to buy for saftey. Steel toe boots good ones go for 200 bucks. How do I know I used to be in the navy.

There are more than one ways to build armor and weapons. Adam started off using pep, than when he saved up he invested into CnC. Every one of your admins who's armor looks awsome uses CNC or 3D printing. You might but they do for thier "Hobby no stress building".

I've offered to convert armor files into CnC cutting and 3D printing files for those of you who wish to go get your armor proffesionaly made for your hobby. Why is it when someone trys to do something good for the 405th if it's not with the norm it's automatically dubbed bad? If you want to make a complicated origimai plaster of paris version by all means do it that way. It takes a lot of skill to do it that way.

"List my link to a 40 dollar block of wood"...You claim to have spent time in home depot? And you don't now how to custom order wood. *Raises eyebrows suspisioucly* Starting to think you're lying to me bub. A small block of 17 inch by 17 inchs would cover a helmet. The dimensions of the block or rectangle of wood would change on what you're trying to make. Measure how long a armor peice is. Then measure by how wide it is. Then measure how thick you think it needs to be. Those are your demisions for what you need to custom order from HomeDepot. IF you speak to any person who runs a Home Depot you'd know prices vary from city to city. Your home depot might be expenseive as hell due to the cost it takes to ship the supplys to your city so they need to hike the price up on you. Perhaps that's why you can't get it for as cheap as I can. That's your loss not mine. There are more stores that sell custom sized blocks of wood than just home depot that's one of 14 stores I know that you can order wood from. THere are over 300 online companies that you can order wood from. I just chose the most common one that people have access to. But do whatever you feel like doing skippy power to you. I think I'm done proving you wrong.

Wy do you keep making topics with the same things described within them??

just stick with one thread please. And continue updating that thread.

Will do sorry about that RunDown. Though when you make updates like I've seen people do you make a new thread. My bad I'll stick to one then.

First off...

Then you go into this...

...broken link.

If you look at BlueRelm studios you see they pirated their version of their CnC machine. The only thing they bought was the plexiglass windows to keep the wood in. The shop vac to vacum up the wood chips and the x,y,z cutting head and the rolling bars for it. Other than that if you knew anything about CnC their CnC machine is scratch built. It's not proffesional in anyway. IT looks like they spent at the most 300 dollars on it. If you look at BlueRelm studios videos on youtube you can see his computer has downloaded software to tell his scratch built machine what to do. You can also see in his vids that His CnC is scratch built. Leekhegin or however you spell his name says he does wood working and in a few of his earily videos which can be found on the internet says he used CnC to do it. Adam Grumbo has a smialar set up. Adam Grumbo says he invested 10,000 dollars into building one of the very first halo suits. You complain about expenses for a hobby. THe only way you can produce anything is because your fearless leader shares what he knows with you.

What am I trying to do? Convert the .pdo and .obj files into dfx or .stl so people who wish to have theirs cut proffesionaly like the elites do on this site can have the same accessablity to the same armor as they do. All your admins tell you is they gave you the tools to do it. THey're not going to sell you it and do it yourself. They gave us the files and we can do it ourselves. K with that being said if you want to make the same armor they have in the same manner you need to convert the files into DXF or .STL which I've offered to do. A block of wood for 20 bucks is by far cheaper than a 200 dollar bucket of liquid fiberglass at wal-mart. Adam grumbo in his eariler videos said that's where he got his liquid fiberglass. Hmmmm helmet (200), two arms (200), a chest peice front (200), back (200). or molded in 1 form (200), a cod peice (200)...........I've used the very same math your leaders and admins are using. They say it cost them almost 200 bucks to make one cast. Ouch. Why not do it cheapier and simpiler? You say you want to do it with your hands. Great do it with your hands. I want something that looks proffesionaly made. I'm pretty sure others do as well. If you look at BlueRelm studios you see over 3,000+ comments can I have access to that. Can I buy that. No reply for the last 5 years. I do not feel that's fair to the people who wish to do it the very way they're doing it. I've spent from 2005-present trying to figure out how they did it and invested and did reserach into it. The file types are DXF or STL. YOu need a CnC Machine from either PlasmaCam or CarveWright. I would recommend the PlasmaCam it's only 3,000 vs CarveWrights 10,000. If you're going to spend 10k I'd just say buy a 3D printer from Stratasus then. A car can cost 10k or 30k. I do not hear people complain about the prices of cars. Yet you complain about the price of a CnC machine or a 3d Printer. If you want the ablity of making whatever you want proffesionaly invest in one. If not do it the old fashioned way and it might turn out great, it might not but at least you tried. I'm trying to help those who want to do it my way. And you're nagging at me for trying to help. If you don't like how I do things don't look or comment. It's that simple. But there are thousands of people who do wish to do it my way and I will help those people who wish to do it my way. We kewl?

Not to blast you, but like other threads on here, no pics, it didn't happen.

I've posted a link if you can't click it and look at the photos on the link that's your problem. As i've said in one of my very first post it will not permit me to attach any photos or attachments it'll only permit me to attach links.
RubberBandgun1.png.html

I think you're missing the whole point of what was being said...yes if you CAST a piece the price for your armor will jump up tremendously. For most of us here at the 405th because we are "HOBBYIST" we don't have the funds to create pieces by making casts or using the CnC/3D printing technique. If you were to build a full suit using just paper, resin, fiberglass, bondo and paint it would cost you about $2-300 on the low end (meaning that all your mats were ridiculously cheap) and up to $1000+ depending on how detailed you want it. I built a suit for about $600 and it turned out great, granted it was my first attempt so a lot of money went to waste on mis-scaled parts and experimental solutions.

I live in Hawai'i and things here are not cheap...we have to pay extra for everything because of shipping costs and the cost for my mats are no where near what your talking about for a normal SPECIFICALLY PEPAKURA BASED SUIT. Now if I was CASTING i'm sure the price would jump to the near thousands just to get all the casting mats. As for your "safety mats" why would you buy steel toed boots for $200?! Your working with paper reinforced with fiberglass...its not like that weighs a ton and has the force to severe a toe if dropped. Secondly you can go and buy the top of the line respirator for that amount, or you can settle for one that does the job but half the price. The things you list are top of the line materials from what it sounds like and most "average joes" like me can't afford to drop that kind of money when we could settle for something that does the same job for less. Like the previous posts had said, we're not here to discourage you from promoting your new ideas and new methods of making armor. If it works it works, if it doesn't then back to the drawing board. I think what the mods are worried about is your inaccurate listing of prices might scare newcomers from trying out this amazing hobby. You really should get the facts straight about the difference between BUILDING a suit and CASTING a suit. They are two completely different things and the price ranges are two completely different amounts as well.

I can literally feel heat radiating off the words in this thread. I think everyone should cool it. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but we definitely shouldn't blast each other about it. This is supposed to be a forum of encouragement and brotherhood. I think if Xavior217 manages to pull off a cheap method, then by all means, have him or someone else test it and report back, maybe make a new thread on it's success. Perhaps we'll see the method spread. But for those preserving "The Old Ways," allow them to continue, no blasting, because that has seemed to work out well so far too.

My facts are straight I quoted who said it and where I got the info from dude.

I think you're missing the whole point of what was being said...yes if you CAST a piece the price for your armor will jump up tremendously. For most of us here at the 405th because we are "HOBBYIST" we don't have the funds to create pieces by making casts or using the CnC/3D printing technique. If you were to build a full suit using just paper, resin, fiberglass, bondo and paint it would cost you about $2-300 on the low end (meaning that all your mats were ridiculously cheap) and up to $1000+ depending on how detailed you want it. I built a suit for about $600 and it turned out great, granted it was my first attempt so a lot of money went to waste on mis-scaled parts and experimental solutions.

I live in Hawai'i and things here are not cheap...we have to pay extra for everything because of shipping costs and the cost for my mats are no where near what your talking about for a normal SPECIFICALLY PEPAKURA BASED SUIT. Now if I was CASTING i'm sure the price would jump to the near thousands just to get all the casting mats. As for your "safety mats" why would you buy steel toed boots for $200?! Your working with paper reinforced with fiberglass...its not like that weighs a ton and has the force to severe a toe if dropped. Secondly you can go and buy the top of the line respirator for that amount, or you can settle for one that does the job but half the price. The things you list are top of the line materials from what it sounds like and most "average joes" like me can't afford to drop that kind of money when we could settle for something that does the same job for less. Like the previous posts had said, we're not here to discourage you from promoting your new ideas and new methods of making armor. If it works it works, if it doesn't then back to the drawing board. I think what the mods are worried about is your inaccurate listing of prices might scare newcomers from trying out this amazing hobby. You really should get the facts straight about the difference between BUILDING a suit and CASTING a suit. They are two completely different things and the price ranges are two completely different amounts as well.

My facts are straight. I quoted where I got it from and where the information came from. Your group reveres Itihica, and the elites like gods. The post in noob form titled noob required materials list are materials that everyone has. How much have you spent on knives or paper? How much have you spent if you do make molds? Wouldn't it be cheapier to make the mold out of wood? There are plans on how to scratch build CnC machines for 300 dollars on the net. The most expensive thing is the program and the x,y,z cutting bit. I think saying you can't obtain a CnC machine when the admins all have a priated version on the cheap is a load of crap. Blue Relm studios has one that they pirated. Why not copy their model of CnC machine?

BTW you just conformed what I said to be true. "Depends how detailed you want it" The prices can go up when just making a suit. You even conformed location as a increase cost for parts. Than you go and try to insult me. IT sounds to me like you guys are comming up with every excuse as why you can't instead when you should be trying to accomplish it. You say you're a "Hobbyist" So obtain a cheap hobyist CnC machine or obtaint he plans to build one on the cheap. They sell plans like this on Ebay it's how BlueRelm studios says they got theirs.

I can literally feel heat radiating off the words in this thread. I think everyone should cool it. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but we definitely shouldn't blast each other about it. This is supposed to be a forum of encouragement and brotherhood. I think if Xavior217 manages to pull off a cheap method, then by all means, have him or someone else test it and report back, maybe make a new thread on it's success. Perhaps we'll see the method spread. But for those preserving "The Old Ways," allow them to continue, no blasting, because that has seemed to work out well so far too.

I have no issue with the old methods. I decided to fix something that I've seen thousands of request for that no one has jumped at or has gotten ripped on for even asking the question. People want a CnC method to make Halo armor.

Here is my method

Measure how long it is from top to bottom. How wide <---> is it. How thick is it. That is how big of a block of wood you would need. Half the .STL carve the front of your peice when it stops flip it over and have it carve the oppostite side for you complete peice. If it's a arm peice, leg or helmet have it cut out the inside as the last 3rd part.

If you want a cheapier method than this. Create a mold out of wood in two halves. I'd just need a the OBJ file for each half of a weapon, or armor and I can make a CnC file that will cut the mold for you. People spend absurd amounts of money trying to create molds. Why not create a 405th file for CnC'ed molds in which to create your own armor, and weapon. Have a standard side for helmets, chest, legs, etc. It'd be much cheapier this way instead of blowing thousands on making molds and armor. Instead you could just have all your molds cut for you and just pour your resgin and wait then unscrew your mold and open it and wallah you have a casted peice.

I just listed in this thread about 3 ways to go about it.
CnC the part
3D print the part
have the part made in a wood mold from a .STL file (CnC ready cut ready)

People have complained about having to sell their armor to make rent and regreted it. They've complained about armor breaking and they can't afford to make a new one. Why not create a method to CnC a full item out of wood, Metal or plastic. It's much safer than fiberglass you'd just have to make sure you have no burrs and you have yourself a peice of armor. Master cheif's armor is made in the game out of metal. Wouldn't it be kewl if you could finnaly create a peice of armor in metal for real? You don't have to vacuum the part. You don't have to buy expensive and toxic chemicals to make it. You just have to take your thumb drive to a CnC shop and tell them to make this in wood with your mats or theirs and work out something to get the part made. It'll make the armor or cosplayed weapon from a fiberglass part to something that's now elite made. Why not turn model making to the next level? You guys say you have 600 dollars to spend on making it. Why not save up that money and have it proffesionaly made in a hobby self made CnC machine or from a machine shop. you can still say I made that. You won't loose the old ways and you will be learning another skill which you can make money on. No not make money by selling the armor but it'll help you learn a skill in which you can make money on. CnC manfuractoring shops make hundreds of thousands a year. It'll teach you how to make money on the fly. If you can take a photo of someone and figure out how to turn it into a small 3d picture with a flat back you could make money that you could sell. The proffits you make in your personal buisness is yours to do what you want. Just trying to throw ideas out there. People complain about not having the scratch to invest in 3D printing, proffesional CnC machines. The cheapiest on the market is the PlasmaCam which cost 3k the cost of a cheap POS car you can buy in a junk yard. The cheapiest 3d Printer is called UPrint from PADT company which their website is called straytus. The CnC machine can cut 1 inch of steel and it can cut wood. It comes with two heads one with a plamsa cutter and one with a wood bit. You can turn out metal art and use the proceeds to make better upgraded armor and techniques to make the armor. The skys the limit guys. why not grasp it? Pepakura has it's limits. CnC / 3d printing you can make anything. you can make anything using pep but you need the proffesional old school skill to make it and make it look nice and function correctly. This way it takes the frustration out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back