Help for my Thomas Bangalter (of Daft Punk) helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elessar66

So I have been working on my Thomas Bangalter helmet. Everywhere I see is Halo and Halo and more of Halo :p. So I didn't really know where to post this thread. If anyone can advise me on that, I'll definitely shift my thread to a more related forum.

Apart from that. Here's the link of my work:

http://imgur.com/a/TgfQW#0

And if you're too lazy to go to see the whole process here's the final pep version of the helmet:

ZKo6gl.jpg

and it looks like those on my head:

5y6NIl.jpg

It's a WIP but the skeleton is almost done. Need to work on the ear pieces, but that won't take much time.

Now here's where I'll pick your heads like a true noob.

I don't know where to go next. Here are my common problems:

1) How and what to resin and fibreglass.

2) Next step is bondo-ing it I presume. I have heard someone tell me that it wouldn't bond with resin and I'm like wtf now.

3) THE VISOR!!! I feel like smashing my head in the wall when I think about it. I put the cardstock visor in and glued it to the helmet so that the helmet has it's true shape when the helmet gets hardened. Then I'll probably cut it out (since I wouldn't have hardened the visor). But how do I install a visor in this helmet? I was thinking of adding some lights in like this:
incredible_daft_punk_helmet_1.jpg

That is, in the visor and on the ear pieces. I feel too stupid to have a fully functional LED display in the visor like this:
F2Y947ZGTFK246V.LARGE.jpg

Or I might just chicken out and have one like this:
daft-punk_kanye-west_lightup-suits.jpg

Suggestions and help pleeeaassee!

You probably want to resin the helmet completely. When the resin is hardened you can put bondo or any kind of body filler on it. The body filler or bondo has to be scrubbed down with sand paper or power tools to have a smooth effect.

You probably want to resin the helmet completely. When the resin is hardened you can put bondo or any kind of body filler on it. The body filler or bondo has to be scrubbed down with sand paper or power tools to have a smooth effect.

Whoa! Thanks for the reply mate. It's your pep file I'm using! Hope I did justice to your design lol. Never thought I'd come across you on the forums :p

So just to confirm, I need to apply resin on the outside and wait for it to harden (sounds simple, I hope it is!).
Should I apply fibreglass on the inside too?

There must be tutorials on the bondo/body filler as well so I'll search for them. If you know of one which in your opinion is the best at explaining it all please don't hesitate to share.

Any help on the visor? Should I resin and/or fibreglass the cardstock visor too?

I really appreciate the help!

I suggest strenghtening the inside with fiberglass. This is done because when sanding you might sand away to mutch. Without this you woulg get holes very quick.

And for the visor I would just get a welding visor. Easy to shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back