Halo 4 "Commander Sarah Palmer" Child's Play auction build. 450th & Stony Props

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icon Props

Member DIN
S007
I was recently asked if I could provide a helmet for the next Child's Play auction.
The thought of even being asked was came a quite a surprize & an honor. The last member from our group (Steven Lee aka hyperbalistic) was able to provide a helmet that with help from others from the 405th & 343 industries brought in around $2,300 ??? (i could be off on that number) with his Halo 4 Master Chief helmet.

I'm happy to do my part for this great cause & charity.
Thanks,
Jim McCrea
405th & Stony Props

photo18-1_zps5c68ef7d.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm basing the colors of this one off the Macfarlain toys <>(correction: Play Arts Kai) which is grey-er & a bit more metalic than the game version.
The paint colors are going to take a combination of layers on layers for me. I don't have the ability to mix & spary so im going to layer them to achieve the desired colors. I'm doing a prototype build first to work out any bugs.

Im starting off with one of my SCOUT castings. (the original helmet build is floating aroud the site under "halo 4 scout helmet")

photo1_zps235ba903.jpg
[/IMG]

Next, the visor area was carved out, sanded & finished.

photo3_zps219543b0.jpg
[/IMG]

photo4_zps26ccc433.jpg
photo6-1_zpsdecb2943.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for looking.
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking really nice. I think that the Commander Palmer figure is actually from Play Arts Kai, not McFarlane.

I had a few minutes so I figure I'd through up a few more progress pics.

I did a lot of the painting yesterday & have some catching up on my progress pics.
photo7_zpsea4b2b55.jpg
[/IMG]

photo8_zps40dd407f.jpg
[/IMG]

I think my favorate part of painting is pulling off the masking tape.

photo8_zps40dd407f.jpg
[/IMG]

photo10-1_zps2696ced6.jpg
[/IMG]

photo12-1_zps259336a8.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for looking.
Jim

Yea, she runs with a SCOUT hemet & armor in Halo 4
( I may have to put one together for the wife).

Alright....The PROTOTYPE is fiinished.
The only changes that im thinking about making to the final one will be to maybe lighten up the color of the entire thing just a bit. All in all im happy with the out come. I'm going to send this one out to a new friend at 343 industries. I hope that they keep it hanging around the office.
Thanks again for looking.
Jim McCrea

IMG_0852_zps8f1936b6.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0864_zpsd6060f4b.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0863_zpsae6ad8c9.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0867_zps84eb2852.jpg
[/IMG]

Should be noted Stony Props has been a pleasure to work with, first it was Antonio with his Carter build, then Steven with his Halo 4 MC build, and now Jim with his Commander Palmer Scout build. 405th is always great to work with in general.

This is fantastic! How did you make the visor? Was it cut and glued or did you use a foldable material with an iridium coating?

jim this is just beautiful work, and to make it for a charity reason and help out with something that you made with your own hands. congrats on everything that you have achieved with this art. I can only hope to get that chance.

I love it Jim. Great work buddy. I'm sure who ever ends up with this will be very happy with it. :D

First, let me preface that I mean no disrespect, and that I think your helmet is a wonderful work of art! (Especially since it's my favorite in the game!)

That being said, and in the interest of accuracy for the auction, it appears that the in-game helmet, as well as the Play-Arts figure's visor extends further back than where your prototype does.
Reference here, here, and here. This can also be seen in the multiplayer model.

Ender9492. In regards to any disrespect, none taken. :)
I can show you a lot more in accuracies from the game & toy figure than what you pointed out. My intent was never to make an exact copy of it. My intent was to make my iterpretation of it. I've never been one to try to make an exact copy of someone elses work or design. Some people like to aim for complete & total game or toy accuracy. I like to make it the way that I want it to look, even if it means getting away from the ref. pic a bit.
It's just my thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back