Vacuum forming table size for pilot visor! or any halo visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmseneki

Hi everyone, i was wondering if this vacuum forming table is ok for doing visors such as the pilot helmet or any other halo helmet that requires vacuum form?? I am asking because it says those measurements and i really dont know if its too small or too big etc since i am not making one , youst buying one. Also what size should the plastic sheet should be??? since it has another measurement?? its really bothersome .__. its easier if someone sells thos visors but oh well.

found this one on ebay, its cheap because it doesn heat itself all you need is to heat up the plastic and have a house vacuum

tell me if its big enough and if these plastic sheets are ok with what i want to vacuum form.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vacuum-Form...145904263?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3ccd824487

plastic sheets

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Styrene-Pla...994527047?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3cc47c6f47

Well, my ODST visor mold is about 9 1/2" x 7". That one would be just big enough for my mold, but you would probably want something just a bit larger. I would think the mold for a pilot visor would be pretty large.

Generally, the number they tell you, in this case 8" x 10", is the actual usable size of the table. For plastic sizing, usually add 1-2", that covers the vacuum surface, as well as the frame you plastic gets clipped to. The seller does say that the 10" x 12" sheets are large enough.

Also, the sheets you linked to are solid white. You want to use either these, or if you plan on heating the plastic in you oven (which isn't the best thing to do) use these.

A rule of thumb for vacuum forming is to leave x amount of space around all sides of the part, to account for the draw of the plastic, x being how tall the mold is. So if your buck for your pilot helmet is 7 inches tall (may be more or less, just an example), then you'll need to make sure that the plastic sheet and plenum (vacuum table) are at least 7 inches larger in every direction. so If your buck takes up a 10x8 space, you'll want a 17x15 table minimum. This is most critical when there are sharp edges, as these will make extremely weak points if the plastic doesnt have enough extra material and has to stretch (draw) too much. A pilot visor would be fine with less, but following this rule will give you the most even thickness and least chance of weak points.

If you have any other questions just pm me and I may still have some rules of thumb pages I could email you. Good luck!
-Drew

Source: Mechanical Engineer, took multiple plastics manufacturing classes in the last year.

hmmm so my question is did you made your own vacuum table??? or did you bought one?? cause i think it will be easier for me to make one than youst buying one since i dont know what am buying. this all sounds so complicated but it will be worth it since i want to make that helmet but forgot that the visor was difrent from other helmets .______. that was a big let down for me since am new to all this , i barely made a helmet now i have to learn this lol
Well, my ODST visor mold is about 9 1/2" x 7". That one would be just big enough for my mold, but you would probably want something just a bit larger. I would think the mold for a pilot visor would be pretty large.

Generally, the number they tell you, in this case 8" x 10", is the actual usable size of the table. For plastic sizing, usually add 1-2", that covers the vacuum surface, as well as the frame you plastic gets clipped to. The seller does say that the 10" x 12" sheets are large enough.

Also, the sheets you linked to are solid white. You want to use either these, or if you plan on heating the plastic in you oven (which isn't the best thing to do) use these.

Yes, I made mine. It really isn't that difficult. I followed this tutorial. The only real downside to this one is that you need to use your oven to heat the plastic. I've done it, but only a few times, I really don't recommend it, because plastics can give off some fumes when they are heated, and it could potentially transfer to you food.

I do suggest building one though, because its really easy, and super cheap when you do it yourself. If you use that tutorial, I suggest you also research how to build a heating element, too.

What helmet did you make? I didn't see any pictures in any of your posts but I may have been mistaken.

Anyways, as mentioned you do need a couple inches on every side of the visor buck, or else the buck and the sheer line on the table will act as scissors essentially, and rip the plastic, or create ugly webbing lines or other types of grossness. I concur to make a vac table, and it's not hard if you have a bit of general craftsmanship knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back