"Help!" for: 3D Modeling & Pepakura Model Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpathia

Sr Member
This thread will contain general first hand knowledge of creating 3D models and preparing them for use in Pepakura or various other applications.

People who don't know: Post questions.

People who know: Answer those questions.

Please be as clear and detailed as possible with your questions and/or answers. Repeated questions or variations of certain questions may be consolidated over time into an FAQ section in the post following this one.

Always ask and answer questions as if you were asking/answering your mother or grandmother. In other words, politely.

Rudeness and/or impatience will be met with an infraction. You don't want too many of those.

These threads are meant to reduce and hopefully eliminated the need for the numerous 'I need help threads' that seem to generate endlessly in this section of the forum.

They are not a be all, end all to all questions that could ever be asked though. Some questions will be project specific and you may need to ask those IN the project's thread itself. However, some may not see your questions there so you may post a link to said project thread in the appropriate "Help!" thread when you need the attention of a few extra eyes.

Ihave been lurking around for a few months and trying little pep pieces here and there and have decided i want to make my first full costume! however i am stuck on one particular costume and cannot find a pep for it anywhere.. i want to do the cleatus fox robot. can anyone help me with 3d and pep for this??? i know there is one other person making this outfit on another site but his is all one off with no templates and no help

This n00b has been dreaming of making his own Halo Reach Gungnir helmet. I was wondering where I can obtain a paper printed model so I can get this started? What I'm hoping to achieve is the helmet with the CBRN and HU/RS add-ons.

In case anyone needs a reference I have two links to help:

http://i.imgur.com/YzAwTes.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ShIh0ze.jpg

I'll be happy to provide reference pics of all sides if it's requested.

Thank you!

This n00b has been dreaming of making his own Halo Reach Gungnir helmet. I was wondering where I can obtain a paper printed model so I can get this started? What I'm hoping to achieve is the helmet with the CBRN and HU/RS add-ons.

Thank you!

Check Carpathia's signature in the post above yours. He has a link to the pep file database, its a candy store for pep files.
If you can't find it there, check in the 3d modeling section under pepakura requests page 303, I saw a file containing all of the reach helmets and ua's, they aren't worked over for pep yet , but its a start. You can learn something new unless you already know how to model and unfold. By the way this is the wrong section for this request.

Thank you!

I'll give you a clue. JTM1997 has done both an HD gunginr and a LD with floating faces for pepakura. I have both in my personal database so they do exist but your going to have to refind them. My suggestion would be Google 'JTM1997 gunginr pepakura' or the 405th's search bar. But they do exist, at least a few moths ago they did.

My question is a little more Pepakura oriented, but here goes.
When the bottom right of the Pep window gives you the "assembled size" is it from the furthest possible points from each other? Such as the very front of my nose to the very tip of my Occipital bone on the back of my head? And for width, is it the point furthest out on my ear, to the other? Or does it measure only the body of the helmet?
Case in question: I'm curious if the width incorporates the ear pieces, or if it's just the width of the interior of the helmet. Also the same for the depth.
For height, does it stop where the opening is for your neck, as if a piece was laid flat over it to close it?

And so, if it is ear to ear, if I took an F clamp and measured my ear to ear, then changed that one measurement in designer, would the rest be pulled into place roughly as correct? What measurement do you usually use? Width, height or depth?
Untitled-1_zpseec97e18.jpg

The assembled size is the outer-most measurements of the model as it is unfolded. Imagine creating a cube around the model, then shrinking that cube until it hits a surface of the model on all sides. The size of that cube would be the same as the listed assembled size.

When you change the measurements of one of the dimensions, they all change; this is in order to keep the model in proportion.

Check the FAQ: Papercraft and Pepakura sticky for further Pepakura-related questions. This is pretty well covered over there.

Thanks Carp hopefully I got it figured out. I measured my ear to ear size as 155mm, then went with 165 for the width of the helmet to allow room for padding and what not. Hopefully just using the width will allow the depth and height to come into the right size too.

I have managed to extract the Obj files from the game for my Zed cosplay project.
how do I work with it and prepare it for pepakura into something that you can fold and wear ?

thanks in advance

Pepakura question: How do I rotate items in the 2D view?

I can switch the 2D Mode from "Select and Move" to "Rotate", but I cannot seem to convince the pieces to rotate!

I can switch the 2D Mode from "Select and Move" to "Rotate", but I cannot seem to convince the pieces to rotate!

Eh... there's a trick to it that I've yet to master. It's some combination of choosing the right rotation point, and clicking it properly. If you try to rotate the same piece over and over and over, using different rotation points each time, you'll eventually get it.
Is the piece just kind of flipping 180 degrees and back?

Has anybody else noticed that if you have a piece of armor in Pepakura Viewer, and you only print out one page at a time, that sometimes the numbers don't "line up" correct to pages printed at different times? I've also had issues where two pages printed at different times don't scale properly. It's not a huge issue, since the solution is to just print the whole thing out at once (which I should do anyway), but I wondered if I was the only one.

EDITED (days later) - used the word "timers", meant to write "numbers".

Well, without buying the Pepakura software you cannot save any changes you make... so if you scale the armor and print; and then return to it later and print again they will be at different scales.

Is the piece just kind of flipping 180 degrees and back?

Thanks for the help -- no, it doesn't seem to be moving at all. I toggle into Rotation mode and click on the points, but I can't quite convince it to move. I'll try to refine my technique and report back.

Well, without buying the Pepakura software you cannot save any changes you make... so if you scale the armor and print; and then return to it later and print again they will be at different scales.

I scaled and printed half the pages. I pepped those. Later, I rescaled and reprinted the other half. The numbers are completely out of synch between the two print sets, and some of the pieces don't quite fit. Off by millimeters. I can only conjecture that I rounded during one of my print sessions. I mostly just wondered if anyone else had encountered a similar issue.

Hey all just a quick question, when I print out the pages for my pepakura sheets the numbers are all smudged and the lines are a little grainy. is that my printer or the settings I may have to print said pages ?

It took a little getting used to, but I think I figured it out pretty much. Just click a point in the corner when using "Rotate", move your cursor off to the side a little bit. Then just click and drag your cursor up and down to get the desired angel. When you let go of it, it tends to center itself a bit.

Hey all just a quick question, when I print out the pages for my pepakura sheets the numbers are all smudged and the lines are a little grainy. is that my printer or the settings I may have to print said pages ?

I had this problem a few months back. Just clean your ink cartridges, it's possible the ink is getting smudged from printing on card stock. Once I cleaned mine, lines and numbers were printing out nice and crisp.

I hope this falls into this category, because I need help scaling a Halo Reach chest piece. (it's always too small)
If anyone can help me out my shoulder width is 400mm chest piece area hight is 410mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back