Grifball in real life ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roku

This has had me thinking recently. Would it be possible to play Grifball in real life minus the explosions? Please note that some/most of this post is what has came to me on the fly as i wrote this. I haven't though about everything just mainly the hammer.

Grav hammer
How would you be able to make it soft and squishy so when you hit people with the hammer it's not painful or as painful? I was thinking for the hammer part where you would hit with.It could be made out of those thin memory foam mattress but in a big block in the shape of the big square part and the blade. The handle as to what you hold could be PVC pipe wrapped in leather.No lights or electronics.I think it would be something basic,strong but light.

Grifball
For the ball it could be made of pep with magnets or Velcro built on all sides. There's a grifball at the bottom of the page:Grifball

Plate/Goal
The plates could be made pep or EVA foam. Shouldn't be to hard to construct those. Attached to the base would be a basket ball net that you have to drop the ball into.

Rules/How to play
The ball carrier and all players wear a type of vest with magnets/Velcro so the ball sticks to the vest and players have to knock it off with the hammers.

When a player gets hit with a hammer players drop down on one knee and have to wait for 10 seconds and are NOT allowed to interfere with play while they're "re spawning".

To score players will have to drop the ball into the net.

ALL players must be responsible when playing not hitting people with all there might.

As i said most of this post was written on the fly,something i wanted to share. If it could become possible i think it would be A LOT of fun to play.

Please share your thoughts,opinions and idea's.

i like the idea behind this. me and my LAN party guys where thinking of it a few weeks back. except, hammers where more like the real thing but with foam fronts built on them, swords where based around foam swords bought from those cheap toy stores, the grifball was soft ball (australian equvilent of a baseball) with plastic plates attached and the goal was much like yours. also when you are hit, you have to immediatley return to a designated team spawn location and wait 3-5 seconds. also, when a player became grif, they yelled out "im grif!", mainly due to the fact that we couldnt make a person change colour instantly. also, to compensate for grifs overshield, we made it take 2 shots from hammer or sword to strike him down.

but yours might just be that little bit more cheaper to carry out. i should see if i could get a legitamite grifball league started....

I love this idea! I make prop and larp weapons and am going to be making a larp style grav hammer in the next few months. Translation it'll be pretty darn good looking but soft enough that i can baseball bat swing someone with it and not kill them, just knock em on their ass! An even simpler possibility would be to make a grav hammer, silicon cast it, then cast it out of Polyfoam, and expanding foam we use alot for props in the haunt i work with. it would be squishy and lightweight, especially given the size of the hammer, and as important as anything easily repeatable. Pvc breaks with any sort of regular use but fiberglass bandshoppe poles ($15 bucks, nice 1" thick black shafts) or fiberglass hockey sticks provide great alternatives.

Thanks everyone I'm glad you like it and thank you for your suggestions and input :)

I though about running back to "re spawn" area but wasn't to sure.Depending on where you are on the court and possibly as your running back someone that didn't see you get hit could come and hit you.There's a lot of running in grifball and getting hit and running back to spawn from the other side of the court for example maybe a little more tiring.Again that could depend on court size. With dropping to one knee it's clear to see that someone is "re spawning" and once your 10 seconds is over you can get right back into the game and get a small break lol.

For the Ball it could be a bright florescent color or keep it looking like a real Grifball but paint the red stripe a bright florescent color. If it's bright it will catch your eye and will be easier to see the ball carrier.
Bone I didn't even think about Hockey sticks and i'll look into the fiberglass bandshoppe poles.Something to look into for sure.

Does anyone have the info for the size of a court ? :)

This would most likely transfer well to a basketball court and the objective could be under each goal. Considering we aren't as big or as fast as Spartans are that size would be efficient. Also swords wouldn't be necessary, because the hammer would be the same because you aren't limited with lunging like you are in game, swinging a hammer and swinging a sword would be the same except the length. Holding individuals accountable for "re spawning" seems like the trickiest part.

Yeah i agree Spencer. Bonus points if you get the ball through the hoop and straight into the Grifball net! lol

Yeah that's the thing,got to trust that all players follow and stick to the rules.Or maybe we could do some kind of tag system. Team mate comes along and taps the "re spawing" person on the shoulder or have to high five.

Grifball always struck me as a merging of three events from American Gladiators. "Breakthrough & Conquer" where the contestant would have to get a football past one of the gladiators without being tackled or having the ball stripped, "Powerball" where the contestants had to slam a ball into a barrel while avoiding the gladiators, and "Joust" where a contestant and a gladiator faced off with pugil sticks.

Your IRL game could be a modification of one or more of these event types.

To keep a person accountable with respawning, do what Grifball does and make them go back to the starting point of the court.

Of course, you're always going to have one guy who acts as a goalie.

Here's my idea of the court

IMAG0655.jpg

Nice. I like the center re spawn and players switching,very nice idea. :)

That would be awesome.Imagine Grifball as a winter Olympic game. Getting smacked with the hammer people sliding across the ice. That would be fun to watch.

Yeah dude. The center respawn makes for smooth continuous gameplay with out having to just stop right there on the field and be in the way. 4 refs to monitor and have eyes on all sides, and the rest is self explanatory. Sure if I could actually get a few people to try out a game (not likely because of my REALLY small and rather dull (still love them though) friend base), rules would need to be tweaked and amended, but I kinda like my idea.

Quidditch is growing in popularity with kids riding household brooms....... so griffball should be able to progress fairly easy haha. Seems like it would turn out like rugby with backwards passes and what not. But I think there would need to be rules implemented to prevent someone from lobbing the ball down the court to another player, or the ball would need to be a decent weight medicine ball to prevent it.

I'm the same as you. I unfortunately don't have many friends so i don't have anyone to play grifball with. That's a reason why i would like to make a 405th FB group for members around my area,British Columbia. Good way to make friends and try idea's like this.Could actually make it happen.(I need more Halo friends!)

I'm really happy with the response and for everyone contributing,i really feel we can do this.If we do,we can have our very own 405th Grifball League. :D

I'm sure it could be played in armor.Might have to make a few rule changes or so but i think it could happen.

Quidditch is growing in popularity with kids riding household brooms....... so griffball should be able to progress fairly easy haha. Seems like it would turn out like rugby with backwards passes and what not. But I think there would need to be rules implemented to prevent someone from lobbing the ball down the court to another player, or the ball would need to be a decent weight medicine ball to prevent it.

There is an official UT Quidditch team and I can't take those guys seriously. They don't even run around with brooms, but with short metals rods between their legs. Looks so dumb! I respect them, but why not just do it without the stupid rods?

I'm the same as you. I unfortunately don't have many friends so i don't have anyone to play grifball with. That's a reason why i would like to make a 405th FB group for members around my area,British Columbia. Good way to make friends and try idea's like this.Could actually make it happen.(I need more Halo friends!)

I'm really happy with the response and for everyone contributing,i really feel we can do this.If we do,we can have our very own 405th Grifball League. :D

I'm sure it could be played in armor.Might have to make a few rule changes or so but i think it could happen.

Yeah I was thinking the other day about starting up a Grifball team at UT Austin, but I don't know any Halo fanatics...

I actually told some of the guys in my unit(i'm in the army) about this and they were on board for playing it....once we get the rules down maybe i could help to facilitate the first game and vid it so that people could see what it would look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back