3D PRINTING - Can someone help me collect .STL files for halo and iron man armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloydy

Hi there everyone, i have purchased a 3d printer this week and i am expecting it to arrive within 6 weeks. i have already been in contact with a couple of people regarding this request and they have been very helpful to me so far.

I am wanting to source together as many .STL files of the halo armour and other costumes such as Iron Man as possible. Preferably i would like to build only highest definition pieces of a mark vi suit, recon and iron man.

although i do really love all of the halo armour (especially the helmets) and would like to collect the files so that i am able to print and build whenever i want to.

my aim is to print the armour pieces in quarters or halves (depending on their size and if they fit the build plate of my machine) before piecing them together. this process will mean i will not need to use fiberglass, resin or bondo. i can print pieces in high definition before sanding and painting, leaving only strapping.

the plastic i will be using is also PLA - a renewable bioplastic that is better for the environment than fibre glass and resin.

i am not wanting to reproduce these models to sell for other people, and i will happily make contracts with anyone that can contact me regarding .stl files to limit my use of the files. i am not wanting to edit files, sell files or use them for any other purpose than printing my own suits. the suits are also for my personal use and are in no way commercial. i will also not make moulds of any armour i produce.

i already have some weapon files that i have managed to source online, although i would greatly appreciate it if some people can convert .pdo files for me into .stl

even better than this would be if the people who origionally built and designed the pepakura files could contact me and provide .stl files as im sure that these files will be of a higher resolution and i would like their permission to use their files in such a way.

sorry for the essay, if anyone has any other questions please fire away.

as far as i am aware, no one has yet built an entire suit using 3d printing, if someone has, please come forward and let me know how it went :) thanks very much everyone!

I am looking to do the same. I am getting a ridigbot in September and would like to print some armour as well. Have you gotten any files? On Thingiverse there is a great Iron Man helmet if you already don't have one.

Thanks

Hi there! Funny enough I just posted another thread in the noob forum about this. I'm a long time member of this site, different name. I used to model the Iron Man stuff for the peeps here. I just happen to have the 3D helmet models of Iron Man and War Machine that were used in the movie. Sick, right? Interested? All I'm looking for is a copy of each. :D
If this sounds like something you wanna do, hit me up!
Here's the lo-res
cropped

The route I used several years back to prototype a couple of models involved first: exporting an .obj file from Pepakura Designer; opening said file in Blender; exporting it as an .STL

Problem encountered: Although this will give you an .stl file that you can print, the model is not solid... it is technically a single sheet of plastic where each face would be of infinitely small thickness... You can get around some of this by printing filler in between all of the faces...

Otherwise, you'd have to edit the armor in a CAD program, and while I could print the .stl files... I couldn't change the dimensions of the "faces"

Hope that helps,
Sniperbaas

I don't know why you need to go through so many programs to get an STL. Most modern 3d printing software supports OBJ and STL files.

As for solidness, you really should be extruding "flat" one dimensional pep pieces so they have dimensionality. Printer filler can be very unreliable and nonexistent in some models.

Why not open the .obj in rhino, add some bulk to it (as you would with rondo, etc), and then save it as a .stl.

what i do is: export to obj file in pepakura, import the obj file in sketchup (with plugin), make sure you have a flat surface, right scale and no holes in the model, last i export to stl (also plugin) and it's ready to print
when i slice the stl file, slicer tells me if there where near hole things, that is when i know for certain that i need to adjust the model. if slicer gives no problem, the piece is solid

Yeaaaahhh.... Guys, I've already created a thread with a video outlining how to convert your models for 3D printing. Check my signature.

Lloydy, Sniperbaas has it right. Get the PAID version of Pepakura Designer and export the 3d model (it needs to be unfolded first). Import into Blender, modify it for printing, and then you can export in whichever format you wish to use.

Hey all,

ive been collecting 3d print files for a good while now and have 3d printed and finished most of my custom ironman build, servo driven, scratch built initially and then gradually replaced with 3d printed files. I have quite a collection of files, full MK42 suit and loads more. hit me up for any files

Hello everyone!

Sorry my English! I am learning.I want build the suit with 3d print, but I did not find .stl files. I looking for any armors (compelte set) and suit in stl files. Please help me! :) Thank you!

Qwertsad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back