ChefBZD's Foam Reach Spartan Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Halex, yeah...5'11" 230 lbs here...I was afraid it was going to look goofy on someone with my build, but with proper scaling it turned out pretty good. As far as the thigh parts go, I would definitely go with the vinyl on your suit. It is very comfortable and really thin, but I'm wearing it, it looks bulkier than it is, which is cool because it makes your leg look smaller and your armor look bigger.

I finished the other shin today, painted both shins. I also painted the knees, which look awesome. I am currently working on the boots, I wanted to add some height so I'm rigging some budget built platforms into them (involving 4 pairs of 98 cent flip flops from Walmart...)
I'll have some pics later...

Just out of curiosity, what foam file are you using? Or are you scratchbuliding them?

For what? The boots? They are pepped...the foam seemed way to bulky, and if I used the thinner foam they would not be able to take a beating. I used a ruze file I believe...I made them almost a year ago...
Not really happy how they turned out, they look good and are comfortable, but they're really big...if anyone has any tips on making the boots I would consider doing them again...I'm on my phone right now so I can't post a pic, but I pretty much took some old chef clogs, jacked them up on four pairs of cheap sandals, and stuck the boot pieces to them...

For what? The boots? They are pepped...the foam seemed way to bulky, and if I used the thinner foam they would not be able to take a beating. I used a ruze file I believe...I made them almost a year ago...
Not really happy how they turned out, they look good and are comfortable, but they're really big...if anyone has any tips on making the boots I would consider doing them again...I'm on my phone right now so I can't post a pic, but I pretty much took some old chef clogs, jacked them up on four pairs of cheap sandals, and stuck the boot pieces to them...

I meant the boots, yes, typo on my part. :p

Calladar has a great foam boot file, you'll have to search it, I can't copy paste a link cuz I'm on my phone too XD

Ugh this makes me wish i could use foam! Some things just look so better than pep work, although that might be because i am not using bondo yet. Good work on the foam though!

Thanks, Hockey...I redid the boots with the Calladar file, much happier with them.
Old Boot...
IMAG1152_zps6f2c2512.jpg
New Boot...
IMAG1153_zps40210a7a.jpg
I'm still gonna add a few details, but these boots are great. Comfortable, lightweight, and seemingly durable. Paint tonight...

Awesome job on the boot. Just a quick pointer, you can use a rotary tool to sand down the toe to round it out a bit and make it more game accurate.

Step 1...Build suit...DONE :)
Step 2...PIMP YO SUIT...in progress...

First things first, AIR CONDITIONING...
IMAG1159_zps3658b29f.jpg
aaahhh...thats better. These little fans keep the torso SUPER cool. Plenty of room to install them in the shoulders. They are controlled by this switch...
IMAG1162_zps1e034d2c.jpg
Thats all for now, tomorrow...LIGHTS. :)

Congrats on ur build thus for! I believe that this build is coming out very nicely! Looking forward to seeing the finished project! Hope u make meet ur deadline!

That is great, most people try to hide switches. Yours is so obvious no one would realize its real.

Right? Who would've thought that the giant red button on the front console actually did something...lol
The light controller will be more concealed however since I'm just going to use the controller that came with the EL Wire, hopefully I'll get that all installed tonight...

Dude i have to say that your build is very righteous. I cant believe i have missed it thus far lol. And im glad to find someone with big legs too, 5'11'' 220 here lol, that i can totally take ideas from. I do have a question though, does the bottom of the leg fit pretty well?? i know when i build my first suit of armor out of pep the thighs were the worst part due to the big leg issue and the bottoms of the leg were a little snug still. Also, how did you go about tinting your visor? i like it
I am subbed now and cant wait to see the suit on ya looking all awesome :)

Dude i have to say that your build is very righteous. I cant believe i have missed it thus far lol. And im glad to find someone with big legs too, 5'11'' 220 here lol, that i can totally take ideas from. I do have a question though, does the bottom of the leg fit pretty well?? i know when i build my first suit of armor out of pep the thighs were the worst part due to the big leg issue and the bottoms of the leg were a little snug still. Also, how did you go about tinting your visor? i like it
I am subbed now and cant wait to see the suit on ya looking all awesome :)

I actually had to make the bottom of the thighs about 4" wider, I just elongated the stencils for that area. You can't even tell the difference when you see it. The visor came that way, I just bought a welding shield on amazon for like $12 and cut it (very slowly!) with a soldering iron. Thanks!

Also, I just realized that I hadn't shared these yet...they are MAD comfortable and add about 4" to my height. I built Calladar's foam boot file around an old pair of chef clogs and built up the heels with 4 pairs of 98 cent flip flops from walmart (the toe is only one pair tall, tapers up to the heel)
IMAG1164_zpsdd932728.jpg
IMAG1168_zps0aaa11fb.jpg

Haha, "Don't ever touch the little red button." Lookin' good! I'm liking those fans, they look like those handheld foam ones. Although with everyone adding fans to their suits, it's making me scared about how hot they can actually get lol.

Also, I just realized that I hadn't shared these yet...they are MAD comfortable and add about 4" to my height.

Wait a minute 4 inches looks like I'm doing foam boots. Also amazing work so far can't wait for to see it fully modded/finished.

Spartan 213

very righteous, i will probably do the same for my legs lol

nice shoes, thats a great idea for the bottom too! I just used one layer of foam on mine, but why waste good foam when i can get cheap stuff from walmart lol

Although with everyone adding fans to their suits, it's making me scared about how hot they can actually get lol.
You are wearing plastic/foam in the sun with a black undersuit. Without the fans you will be broiling your grape. Trust me, I was a Vader, fans are necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back