ChefBZD's Foam Reach Spartan Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're worried about added bulk you could perhaps try using thinner foam just for the thighs instead of the 1/2" ones? Like maybe the 6mm foam. Dunno if that would help any but you should post a pic it's probably not as bad as you think. If you're worried more about functionality and practicality like say the foam from the thighs are rubbing against each other too much, like you said you could just add them as paneling in the under suit. Not quite sure what you mean though by them not fitting, is it just the panels?

I would be interested to see how you do eventually solve this issue. I have thought about this a bit as I am larger than the girls with foam builds I have seen.

My thoughts were to sew together some panels like liltyrant did on her Kat build, that way its thinner and probably has more flex but still looks good.

The only part that doesn't fit is the inner panels, I already made them out of the 6mm foam from the get go. I decided I'm going to make them part of the undersuit, I'm not experienced in sewing, but I'll give it a shot...

Taking a break from the thigh issue, which I pretty much have under control...
I knocked this out this morning, foam cod. The pieces are attached to a 2" wide elastic waistband with a parachute clip via a belt-loop kind of structure. Very comfortable, flexible, easy to put on/take off, and fits PERFECTLY.
IMAG1081_zps8f1c0bfc.jpg
IMAG1083_zps415f39aa.jpg
IMAG1084_zpsa872013b.jpg
i have to fill in the hole with the 'x' over it, messed that up...
IMAG1085_zpse64bde2d.jpg
IMAG1086_zps64fc23eb.jpg
hopefully get it painted tonight...

This is looking awesome! Definitely subbin' this build. I'm sure I can learn a thing or two from your foam buildin' skillz :) Paint looks real too!

Today's update...
Really happy how the cod turned out, I got it painted today, will weather it tonight with dirty paint water...
IMAG1103_zpsd6c3040c.jpg
also finished the knife today, will probably attach it the torso with velcro...
IMAG1093_zpsd7dbbcb8.jpg
IMAG1096_zps302cc52a.jpg
IMAG1097_zps0d9a517e.jpg
Thats all for now, will try to knock out one of the remaining pieces tonight...
all thats left is...
Left thigh
Left Shin
Figure out how to attach all the boot pieces...THATS IT! FINALLY GONNA FINISH THIS THING!!!
and if I have time before supercon, I will spruce up the undersuit a little...

knocked out the left thigh last night, then at 2am, while half asleep with the glue gun in hand, I thought..."hmmm...I have not seen a single build with the UA CHOBHAM thigh attachment..."
So I looked around and could not find a file. So I scratched it...
BOOM!
IMAG1118_zpsb5af4fd9.jpg
IMAG1116_zpsf91fd00c.jpg
IMAG1114_zpsd879267f.jpg
and as far as the inner thigh panels go, I'm gonna do it LilTyrant style with vinyl...

It would probably be much more comfortable to do the inside of the thighs like LilTyrant did, it out cut down on the thickness of the foam on the thighs and make it cooler in the summer and to make it easier to walk in. Everything looks awesome, I like the paint job especially. And about the cod, was it scratch built or templates?

It would probably be much more comfortable to do the inside of the thighs like LilTyrant did, it out cut down on the thickness of the foam on the thighs and make it cooler in the summer and to make it easier to walk in. Everything looks awesome, I like the paint job especially. And about the cod, was it scratch built or templates?

The cod is templates, I just attached the pieces to a belt instead of making it one rigid piece. I can't remember exactly which one, I am pretty sure its L3x's...I will make a list of all files I used crediting all the guys for their awesome models when I'm finished.

I should have the other thigh completed tonight, gonna find some vinyl tomorrow and attemt sewing...

If the thighs work out, I'll probably try to make the undersuit better too, at least the Ab area. Does anybody have a file for the spine armor?

I finished one of the vinyl thigh areas last night, its not as good as LilTyrant's, but it looks really good to me. I'll post pics tonight, hopefully with grenadier knees...

And by the way, I just bought 10' of EL Wire...

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the Grenadier knees done tonight, paint them tomorrow. Here are some pics of the completed thigh with vinyl and ua chobham attachment. Also a pic of the other thigh's side detail with first coat of paint...
IMAG1123_zpsc45f870e.jpg
IMAG1126_zpscdc240ef.jpg
IMAG1127_zps51a4f06b.jpg
IMAG1128_zps778552a2.jpg
IMAG1129_zpsdbd67fd4.jpg

Looks amazing, the fake leather inner thighs look way more game accurate, and more comfortable too! I can't wait to see this build all finished up, it is by far one of the most realistic foam builds I've seen.

Looks amazing, the fake leather inner thighs look way more game accurate, and more comfortable too! I can't wait to see this build all finished up, it is by far one of the most realistic foam builds I've seen.

Thanks! Yeah, the vinyl is wicked comfortable.

Looking good Chef! I've been toying with ways to make the inner thighs on my pep suit work, since I'm in the same situation as you are. Not much out there fits 6'1" and 230 as the typical scale. Was originally thinking of using EVA foam for them, but after seeing this I may do a camping mat or thin foam with vinyl covering instead.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see what it looks like finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back