kitnip's Halo 4 Master Chief foam build with custom paint scheme and undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitnip

Hey all!

Glad the forums are back up and running because now I can finally share my build with all of you :D

I've been cruisin' around these forums for a while and learned quite a bit already. I decided I wanted to go with a foam build because I've worked with foam before to make a Samus Varia Suit. I really liked the look of the Halo 4 Master Chief so I'm going to be basing my armor off of that!

I won't be going for the exact Master Chief look. The armor will be slightly altered because well for one: I am a girl so I'm not really striving for an "exact" Master Chief anyways. And frankly, it's really hard to get it exactly like the game so I will be getting it close but also adding and taking some things here and there.

I'm also going to change the colors up to something a little more custom and suiting for myself :) I'm thinking a charcoal grey for the entire suit with light pink highlights (yes, I know very girly but I've given it some thought and I think it will be a good mashup between pretty awesome with a slight female touch)

And for an even more custom look, I'm going to add white LED's into the entire suit.

I will be making my armor much like RoxyRoo and LilTyrant builds meaning using different thicknesses of foam and layering them.

COMPLETED ON 09/16/2013, Yay! But I'm still upgrading/adding to the suit.
a7gJXj3.jpg

PROGRESS:
Helmet: Finished!
Chest: Finished!
Shoulders/Biceps: Finished!
Forearms: Finished!
Cod/Ab piece: Finished!
Butt plate: Finished!
Thighs: Finished!
Shins: Finished!
Shoes: Finished!

Undersuit: Finished!
Weapon: Finished!

My main reference pic
h0Vyq7xl.jpg

I'm still kinda searching around for fabric I want to use for my undersuit; something breathable and meshy looking. I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet so I'm holding off on the undersuit for now.

So without further ado, here's some pics of what I've got done so far!

I started with a very simple piece just to get myself into the foam layering.

The shoulder plate:

Sketching it out
hhhgDb1l.jpg

Using the patterns for my foamies
cqfjUX4l.jpg

And finished
0KLzwF2l.jpg

Now I kind of had a general idea of how to layer my foamies accordingly so now I'm going to tackle a main piece; the chest!

Now I'm mostly doing free hand for my armor but I wanted to use pepakura to give me some general guidelines and also help me with scaling.

Peppin' it up :cool
mWgOx4Ll.jpg

Got into a building frenzy, adding pieces one by one
SyjdHZFl.jpg

The general shape of the chest
AjbaD1Fl.jpg

Then I finished the sides and added all the detailing
XNnC8XGl.jpg

Here's a pic of the inside with the parachute clips
jNehccWl.jpg

And what it looks like on me
OavDmrKl.jpg

That's all for now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job so far. Currently I am making an armor set using the bondo method, once I am finished though I plan to make one out of foam. Yours seems like It will be a great help when I can get around to my own.

Holy crap! That is awesome!!!!! I sense another LilTyrant build coming on :)
Seriously though this is looking amazing. I am definitely subbing this build.
My only critique is that the chest doesn't quite look right. The MC H4 chest is very minimal, where as yours is bulky width wise. Not sure if thats on purpose because its a female suit, if so I will shut up :p

Yay more fem spartans! And yes, I think the Halo 4 chief armor is much more catered to the male form. I wish they made a concept for a fem spartan even if it wasn't included in the game, but we can't have everything. Your progress looks great so far, though I'll agree on part with drack in that:
My only critique is that the chest doesn't quite look right. The MC H4 chest is very minimal, where as yours is bulky width wise. Not sure if thats on purpose because its a female suit, if so I will shut up :p
It does look a little off- it could either be because the top half isn't extended down far enough or perhaps the bottom half is extended down too much. It could also be an optical illusion with the camera angle or it could look different because of the missing bulk of the pauldrons. It all depends on the level of game accuracy you're going for, but it looks fine on its own. My fem build will vary greatly from the game as well so it's whatever you want. Anyways, I'm excited to follow this! You're off to such a good start. Will you be crafting the helmet out of foam as well? I see so many people taking the pep route with that.

Thats great! Nice and tidy. Can't wait to see more.
Thanks! And more you will see!! :)

That looks awesome! And yay, more spartan-chicks on the forums :D
Thank you! Haha yessss, spartan-chicks! Woot woot

Amazing work! keep it up!
Thank ya!

Woah! This is great <3

looks great! very clean!
Thank you! It definitely takes a little practice to get it lookin' clean.

Good job so far. Currently I am making an armor set using the bondo method, once I am finished though I plan to make one out of foam. Yours seems like It will be a great help when I can get around to my own.
Thank you! I love working with foam, and I'm for sure going to try and get pictures of the progress to show how I built the pieces. Sometimes you just get into building mode and forget to take pictures of what you have done so far :p

This looks great, I look forward to seeing more progress! Clean work on the foamies :D
Thanks! :$

Holy crap! That is awesome!!!!! I sense another LilTyrant build coming on :)
Seriously though this is looking amazing. I am definitely subbing this build.
Thanks drack! This really means a lot coming from you :) And yes I agree with the chest. It does seem slightly off. Too broad or something. I'm going to try and trim down the edges and see what I get.

Yay more fem spartans! And yes, I think the Halo 4 chief armor is much more catered to the male form. I wish they made a concept for a fem spartan even if it wasn't included in the game, but we can't have everything. Your progress looks great so far, though I'll agree on part with drack in that: It does look a little off- it could either be because the top half isn't extended down far enough or perhaps the bottom half is extended down too much. It could also be an optical illusion with the camera angle or it could look different because of the missing bulk of the pauldrons. It all depends on the level of game accuracy you're going for, but it looks fine on its own. My fem build will vary greatly from the game as well so it's whatever you want. Anyways, I'm excited to follow this! You're off to such a good start. Will you be crafting the helmet out of foam as well? I see so many people taking the pep route with that.
*Spartan-chick pound it* Thanks! And yeah the chest seems to be a little odd. I'm going to rework it just a bit and see. And yes I will be building the helmet out of foam. I actually already built it but I just want to make a few more tweaks :) I've worked with fiber-glass and bondo before and I can tell you it is NOT my thing. The endless sanding and then I looked like I just rolled out of a bag of flour because the dust covered me. NO THANKS! Foam it will be :)

Loving this build! great job on the details and i'm super impressed with the shoulder piece you made! keep it up!
Thanks! I love detailing, it's my favorite part. Seems to make the piece really come alive.

Am I the only one who can't see your progress pictures? :(
I'm really excited how it'll look like.
Noooo! I'll have to see if I can figure out why you can't see them. I hosted them through imgur, not sure if that makes a difference.:confused

UPDATE!
I know it seems super quick that I'm updating but I've been working on this for a few months now so I already have a couple pieces completed.

First off, I took your guys advice and reworked the chest a bit. I took a bit off on the sides to make it less wide and added some foam but made it angled inwards more.

I also kept seeing a stupid '__' face on my chest lol, so I re-did that. Here's what I mean:

57Q5my6l.png

And here's the reworked chest:

bQXE1RLl.jpg

ZkXmnFTl.jpg

I also got another main piece done... the helmet!! EEEK so exciting!

So I started off by tracing my head on a piece of paper and then I made a sketch around it for a scale reference (Thanks to LilTyrant for this idea!)
Er5OpcHl.jpg

And I kinda just slowly worked around the visor. I did not use any pepakura for this.
PVNQAkPl.jpg

Once I was satisfied with the main shape of the helmet, I started with the details
fIuMyXtl.jpg

And here's what it looks like all detailed up!
PRtPJnGl.jpg

And I made myself a little circuit with some component LED's
EyA87Hll.jpg

Here's the inside
dIyDKfwl.jpg

What it all looks like together
7Y31pyQl.jpg

And what it looks like on meee!
yMll4SEl.jpg

B6cE8Spl.jpg

bOKShbEl.jpg

YvfjLwll.jpg

ivqrbBkl.jpg

The helmet is quite snug on my head, I had to try and make it as small as possible to get the correct proportions. But it still seems a bit big... I can't tell if it's because the helmet maybe needs a bit of tweaking or if it's because I'm trying to compare myself to Master Chief who's torso is just a lot broader then mine.. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished reading through this and i'm pretty sure i shat my pants when i saw the pictures. you ma'am are awesome with foam. i can only hope that my multiplayer spartan iv turns out this good.

First off, I don't think the helm is too big. It looks excellent. Once the shoulder guards are in place it will seem more proportional as they are very broad in this version. All in all your progress is phenomenal, I'm total :jellyface: right now haha.

Ps. IMO the chest looked fine either way ;)

Jeez, I cant believe I havent found this thread yet, where has it been?! Your foam work is amazing, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after seeing your pics. In regards to your proportion issues, I tend to agree with Necrogenesis, as you make your shoulders and complete more parts of the armor I think it will make everything will flow together nicely. Either way your work is awe inspiring!

the size of your helmet is fine, its the chest that is too small. go watch a couple of the cutscenes and look at how far the chest sticks out in all directions. its actually wuite ridiculous how far they had it come out.

The helmet came out great! The chest piece does look a lot better. I think it only looks small if you compare it to the spartans in game. Honestly with real human proportions I don't think you're going to see that bulky chest piece on a female frame unless you purposefully make it REALLY bulky. Ya you could probably make it stick out a little more, but I think it's fine as it is.

Helmet looks large now, but as others have mentioned, they usually do until you put on the shoulders and forearms. Helps bring everything back into proportion. Looks great so far, really nice foam work you've got there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back