Halo Reach Build/First build (WIP) (PICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryZad

Hey guys with the forms going down i know i started a Helmet thread. Well I thought I would go all out and make a full set of Reach armor ( mixed and matched)
I scraped the first helmet build and on to the new one. If you guys would be interested in updates let me know and will update through out the whole thing.

Comments and Pointers Welcome

2013-03-15_21-43-18_996_zps1b4dcd11.jpg

2013-03-15_21-43-45_439_zpsccea3c4d.jpg

2013-03-15_21-49-41_535_zps6f0a479b.jpg

Thanks yea learned that after the fist helmet i tried. So now when i am bondoing the new one I go little sections at a time. I will post updates on the helmet progress.

Update on some progress i have made

Bondo
IMG_20130717_230532_564_zpsc9e23814.jpg

Building up some details with bondo Primer really shows a lot of what i missed

IMG_20130718_220022_325_zps2fc44ac6.jpg

update i got a few more pieces peped out and fiber glassed. I have a question on the shoulder addons about scaling them could anyone help out on that? should they be scaled to the same size as the shoulder its self ?

I dont know if anyone is still intresed but here is a few updates on the armor

IMG_20140130_183137_900_zpsdcb3fe46.jpg

IMG_20140130_183127_423_zps8dabc85b.jpg

Well got the helmet to a completed stage need to install lights and others but here we are

IMG_20140603_215942_626_zps5d2552f1.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_20140604_211308_550_zps13e26b29.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_20140604_211319_391_zps90bac5a1.jpg
[/URL]

Still need to do some weathering on the battle damage parts was wondering if i should leave the black parts of the helmet gloss back or switch them to flat
what are your thoughts?

I think you should drybrush flat black on the ridges/edges, because logically, that is wht would get weathered more, But you should try it on a test piece to see how it looks before putting it on your helmet, and i interested in what paints you are using, it almost looks like automotive paint:confused

I think you should drybrush flat black on the ridges/edges, because logically, that is wht would get weathered more, But you should try it on a test piece to see how it looks before putting it on your helmet, and i interested in what paints you are using, it almost looks like automotive paint:confused

Thanks i am going to try that it is a good idea.
The paint i am using is just Rust-oleum metal finish and the black is just the same gloss black

Drybrushing silver would be a good idea too. Personally, I think that the silver you have applied almost looks like it was an undercoat and the paint (the black and blue) peeled off to expose it. It takes an insanely small amount of paint to recreate convincing wear. I am very partial to matte... it just looks more tactical, but it is your helmet and you should do what you like with it :)

Also, there is a distinct difference between battle damage and wear. It looks to me like you are going for wear. I would almost hate to see you do battle damage because your helmet is so clean looking and it usually requires disturbing the surface substantially to recreate it convincingly... usually involving a dremel.

I am loving how clean your lines are too... very nice indeed.

Have to agree with EVkura, matte is my go to for finishes as well. I also have to agree with him and say stick to wear and not battle damage, but in the end it's your bucket, and your choice :D.

If you decide to go with simply weathering and wear, might I suggest a method I have recently started using: Apply a layer of matte black to where ever you want scratches on the paint. Then "fill in" those black ares with a silver paint, leaving just the edges black. It helps make it pop. I find an old, worn brush works quite nicely.
Regardless, the helmet looks great!

Have to agree with EVkura, matte is my go to for finishes as well. I also have to agree with him and say stick to wear and not battle damage, but in the end it's your bucket, and your choice :D.

If you decide to go with simply weathering and wear, might I suggest a method I have recently started using: Apply a layer of matte black to where ever you want scratches on the paint. Then "fill in" those black ares with a silver paint, leaving just the edges black. It helps make it pop. I find an old, worn brush works quite nicely.
Regardless, the helmet looks great!

I am agreeing with you guys that i am going to go for more scratched wear look instead of pitted blast marks.

Drybrushing silver would be a good idea too. Personally, I think that the silver you have applied almost looks like it was an undercoat and the paint (the black and blue) peeled off to expose it. It takes an insanely small amount of paint to recreate convincing wear. I am very partial to matte... it just looks more tactical, but it is your helmet and you should do what you like with it :)

Also, there is a distinct difference between battle damage and wear. It looks to me like you are going for wear. I would almost hate to see you do battle damage because your helmet is so clean looking and it usually requires disturbing the surface substantially to recreate it convincingly... usually involving a dremel.

I am loving how clean your lines are too... very nice indeed.

Thanks it took me a bit to keep going and get things smoothed out. ( you know life gets in the way of armor building)
I am really thinking of cleaning up some bad bondo marks on the back and make some more detail under the visor so might be a good time to swich the black to flat black

( flat black the same as matte? )

Here is the second run through with paint. After a lot of good info from members i switch the gloss black to flat black and add some more details to it.

IMG_20140622_160002_158_zps9d936c92.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_20140622_155943_487_zps4bb5d800.jpg
[/URL]

Looking at the two pictures, the flat black makes it more distinct and whatnot i think. Looks great :)
I also like how you did the little bit of weathering, very realistic looking.
Keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back