First time builder: MK7 Build Journal (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polishing up the shoulder pieces a bit, will hopefully fit them with arm bands tomorrow.

20130921_223516_resized.jpg

20130921_223502_resized.jpg

20130921_230719_resized.jpg

Oh and a little video to showcase the new & improved visor <3

Last edited by a moderator:
this is some beautiful foam work. The attention to detail is wonderful to see, and i love your rounded off edges and carefully concealed seams. I've been enjoying watching your progress. Look forward to your next update!

Really great work man! I've been using your thread this weekend to help get idea of how to construct my chest piece. Out of curiosity how much did that sticker sheet cost from your sign shop? I'm trying to get an idea of my expenses these next few months.

this is some beautiful foam work. The attention to detail is wonderful to see, and i love your rounded off edges and carefully concealed seams. I've been enjoying watching your progress. Look forward to your next update!
Thanks for watching! :)
Really great work man! I've been using your thread this weekend to help get idea of how to construct my chest piece. Out of curiosity how much did that sticker sheet cost from your sign shop? I'm trying to get an idea of my expenses these next few months.
Thanks man, let me know how it goes! The vinyl set me back about $30, and I took home enough for at least 3 tries.
Pretty cool new visor! Looks almost perfect. Did you make it or did you buy it somewhere?
Thanks, I have yet to see one that's more accurate TBH. I bought it from Armory Props, and applied the hex pattern myself. :)

Thanks, should have read the whole thread. ^^ The double visor really makes the difference. :p
I think of buying one too, unfortunately shipping to my country would cost more than the visor itself, lol. :/

Thanks, should have read the whole thread. ^^ The double visor really makes the difference. :p
I think of buying one too, unfortunately shipping to my country would cost more than the visor itself, lol. :/

Ah, probably right lol

But the visor itself really is pretty cheap, so might be worth your while. :)

Awesome work brother man! Another quick question, where did you get your black foam?? I've found 2mm, 3mm, 5mm and EVA floor mats. It looks like your black foam is 8-10mm though

Awesome work brother man! Another quick question, where did you get your black foam?? I've found 2mm, 3mm, 5mm and EVA floor mats. It looks like your black foam is 8-10mm though
Thank ya sir! TBH, I'm not sure of the sizes... I want to say the black stuff is 5mm but I could be wrong. Will have to check when I get home.

Regardless though, I've been getting the thicker stuff from Lowes/Harbor Freight, and all the thinner stuff from Michael's craft store. Michael's supply of the 1/4" stuff comes in pretty slow, so recently I've been ordering it from Hobby Lobby. It comes in maybe a mm thinner, and just a touch less rigid, but it's been working fine so far. :)

Thank ya sir! TBH, I'm not sure of the sizes... I want to say the black stuff is 5mm but I could be wrong. Will have to check when I get home.

Regardless though, I've been getting the thicker stuff from Lowes/Harbor Freight, and all the thinner stuff from Michael's craft store. Michael's supply of the 1/4" stuff comes in pretty slow, so recently I've been ordering it from Hobby Lobby. It comes in maybe a mm thinner, and just a touch less rigid, but it's been working fine so far. :)

What form does your thinner foam come in? I've been lurking around online for a while now, and the only EVA foam I've found is from the large jigsaw-pieces. And it never specifies the thickness. What you're cutting in the first pic you posted earlier doesn't look like the jigsaw pieces, and it looks alot thinner. What's this stuff called? (A shop name won't help me out here, as I'm over the pond from you guys.)

Thanks!
-S420

What form does your thinner foam come in? I've been lurking around online for a while now, and the only EVA foam I've found is from the large jigsaw-pieces. And it never specifies the thickness. What you're cutting in the first pic you posted earlier doesn't look like the jigsaw pieces, and it looks alot thinner. What's this stuff called? (A shop name won't help me out here, as I'm over the pond from you guys.)

Thanks!
-S420

No sweat!

It's MUCH thinner. Pretty sure it's the 2mm stuff that king was referring to, but I'll confirm when I get home... I believe they just call it "craft foam" but I'll check when I get home- get you guys some pics of the labels. :)

No sweat!

It's MUCH thinner. Pretty sure it's the 2mm stuff that king was referring to, but I'll confirm when I get home... I believe they just call it "craft foam" but I'll check when I get home- get you guys some pics of the labels. :)

Oh for real? I've been stupid.

I got a pack of craft foam from a local shop a few days ago and the stuff just seemed way too flimsy, It was practically useless. Since then I just kinda discarded the idea of craft foam except for basic details. Thanks for clearing that up though, I just had a look around and it turns out there are a lot of types of craft foam, so I'll be picking up a variety of types to try out, in order to hopefully find something a little more rigid.

EDIT: This is the flimsy stuff I picked up from the local shop...

Don't judge me... I wanted a Zebra-print magnum... :p

Here's a good example of your different sizes of foam. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're bulk pieces (the grey color) is EVA foam mats and on the edge by where your armpit would be that detail looks to be 2mm foam. Now My question is what size is the black foam that makes the two boxes on the front? It looks like MAYBE it could be 5mm but to me it looks thicker. In the end it doesn't matter too much to me since I'm practically done but for future reference would be nice. Excited to see your next update!

Here's a good example of your different sizes of foam. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're bulk pieces (the grey color) is EVA foam mats and on the edge by where your armpit would be that detail looks to be 2mm foam. Now My question is what size is the black foam that makes the two boxes on the front? It looks like MAYBE it could be 5mm but to me it looks thicker. In the end it doesn't matter too much to me since I'm practically done but for future reference would be nice. Excited to see your next update!
I also wanna know the same thing.
Could it possibly be a roll-up Yoga/Camping mat?

Now My question is what size is the black foam that makes the two boxes on the front? It looks like MAYBE it could be 5mm but to me it looks thicker. In the end it doesn't matter too much to me since I'm practically done but for future reference would be nice. Excited to see your next update!
Interesting question, I'm gonna join too.

Correct. The black foam (not the 2mm at the armpit) is 5mm craft foam. Got some pics for you guys, one sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back