Phil's Reach EOD + Halo 4 thread of shenanigans-UNDERSUIT TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Phil's Reach EOD + Halo 4/5 thread of shenanigans (WIP, pic heavy)

I'm still really loving this build man. Those thighs look incredible, right down to the damage placement and the patchwork/riveted armor repair over the magnets is a great idea, haha.

Keep on keepin' on :thumbsup

Thanks a ton m00sem4n!

Good morning 405th!

My deadline is approaching fast, but I'm moving right along on track to finish in time!

So I've been doing some sewing... neck seal is done, amd a good portion of the undersuit torso is done too, though I don't have any pics of that yet.

20150831_174056.jpg

I was also able to plasti dip and get the base layer of white paint down on my armor parts! The pic shown is just plasti dip, it was too dark for pics when I layer the paint on.

20150903_174717.jpg

As long as I can get the undersuit and painting mostly done in the next ten days, I should be able to finish it with no hassles before the edmonton comic expo on the 25th

Phil, your armor is always a pleasure to see. It all looks great! I can't wait to see the paint job man! Keep up the stellar work!

Phil, your armor is always a pleasure to see. It all looks great! I can't wait to see the paint job man! Keep up the stellar work!

Thanks dude! The paint work is easily my favorite part of a build...it just brings the armor to life. I think im just as excited as you to see it finished haha.

Amazing work man. Glad to see it all coming together! Can you help me though by just aiding me in how to scale the commando shoulder? I have tried multiple times that were way to big or too small so I had ended up scrapping that shoulder piece.

Amazing work man. Glad to see it all coming together! Can you help me though by just aiding me in how to scale the commando shoulder? I have tried multiple times that were way to big or too small so I had ended up scrapping that shoulder piece.

Thanks man!

And for sure. All I can really say is that reference pictures are your friend. Take a look at where the armor sits in the character. This is just a general instruction, not specifically for the commando shoulder, but youll get the idea! For example, where does the top of the attachment sit in the game model? Is it with the jaw line, mid way up the neck, or at ear level? Look at the bottom portion of the attachment as well. Does it appear to be 2-3" up from the elbow, or does it start halfway between the elbow and shoulder. Once you have a solid idea of these dimensions, you can build the prop to suit your own body. I'm 6'7", and a lot of my armor pieces are slightly stretched to match my height, but I do all of my scaling by looking at reference pictures. If you have any more questions on it, feel free to ask!

Alright thanks man!

Alright thanks man!

Not a problem!

So the weather was terrible all weekend, and I wasn't really in a sewing mood, so I decided to revisit my helmet and add some finishing touches/redo the padding.

Here is a shot of my wiring harness all soldered up, with two fans and two led's wired to separate switches.

20150905_212617.jpg

Just a shot of one of the switches and some of the wiring glued into place... I'll be leaving that nose/cheek padding as it is, as it functions quite well.

20150906_163310.jpg

Here is a shot of a $3 waste basket from dollarama that I sacrificed for the steel mesh, and the mesh glued into place/holding the lower fan. The second fan is in the forehead hiding behind some of the padding. You can also see the motorcycle helmet liner I have placed in. Underneath that, there are a few steps of eva foam (the edges of the puzzle that usually get tossed away). The foam strip are lightly gled in place, and the liner just sits in there singly on its own.

20150906_160144.jpg

20150906_192740.jpg

And lastly, I installed the foam details to the front and weathered them. Having finished the helmet now, I had to take some glamour shots as well haha.

IMG_20150906_175920.jpg

20150906_175539.jpg

And while I was in the glamour shot mood...

IMG_20150906_180330.jpg

That's all I have for progress from this weekend (doesn't seem like much, but was still a good 5 or so hours of work lol), but I have one more thing to share with you guys that gave me a giggle. I walked past these in a local liquidation store... would be great for a steam punk build haha....they also had leopard print...

20150906_115408.jpg

Well I am currently sitting on the beach at my cottage in Ontario, and I finally have some free time to show you guys what I've been up to for the last week! I'll also be giving a bit of a mini-tutorial on how I do my spray painting... I'll be focusing on the shoulder pods/vents from my chest piece, as I painted them to match the in game paint scheme.

First off, obligatory pic of where I am currently relaxing:

IMG_20150915_135316.jpg

Onto the Halo stuff, here is where I am at with my undersuit. Nothing too fancy, but it will do the trick!

IMG_20150909_224642.jpg

And now on to my painting tutorial. In this first picture, both of my shoulder pods have been plasti dipped and then spray painted white, always using thin coats and multiple layers. At this point I am starting to tape off all of the parts that are to stay white. When you are masking off parts of a project, be very careful to get your tape into all the nooks amd crannies, otherwise you will be dealing with overspray later.

20150910_173351.jpg

And here they are after I finished taping them and sprayed them red:

20150911_190035.jpg

Once the red was dry, it was time to tape off all of the areas that were to remain red, and then spray my final color of black. Now whenever I spray paint something, I always try to start with the lightest color and work my way to the darkest, as it is far easier to paint a dark color over a lighter one.

20150911_194328.jpg

Mmmm takin off that tape....

IMG_20150911_212616.jpg

Now the most enjoyable part, in my opinion, is the weathering and battle damage. I fist do a black wash on my parts, using a mixture of water and black acrylic paint. I brush it on with a rag, leave it for a couple minutes (not letting it dry completely), and then I wipe it off with a cleaner cloth or paper towel. Sometimes I do this more than once if I don't get the result I am looking for on the first try. After the black wash, I hand paint silver scratches and wear onto the armor. Everyone has their own ways of doing this. I like to lay a thin bead of paint down an edge with my brush, then dip into that bead with my brush and pull my "scratches" away from it. Here is my result:

IMG_20150911_213430.jpg

And to finish off my post, here are all of the parts I painted in the past week or so. Not all of them have been weathered, and the torso still needs more spray painting on the back, but I'm overall quite happy with the results!

IMG_20150913_223728.jpg

Absolutely awesome man. I hope my armor turns out as nice as yours.

Love this thread! Where did you get the neck seal? I have about 2 inches of neck showing with my undersuit and I have no intention of becoming a Flood monster..

Interesting. I'll most definitely consider that.

So the last couple weeks have been hectic trying to get my suit ready for the edmonton comic expo this past weekend. I finished my suit at 2:30 Saturday morning, and was able to have a fantastic weekend showing it off, along with a few more of our members!

Here are just a few final shots of the construction, involving cutting up some of my already assembled parts to add led's.

20150924_184439.jpg

20150924_205521.jpg

And lastly, a few shots from the course of the weekend.

IMG_20150928_194822_1.jpg

FB_IMG_1443398747698.jpg

FB_IMG_1443412263883.jpg

FB_IMG_1443365503684.jpg

Being short on time, I ended up using some $15 base layer pants/long Johns from costco for the bottom undersuit, and it worked out fairly well. Over the next little while, I'll be sure to add up some pics of the strapping I used as well! Overall this suit is pretty much done, though I will likely add a couple more led's before the halo 5 launch. Thanks for looking!

It came out looking amazing man. The whole suit looks fantastic. The undersuit looks good too. I love your paint job! Can't wait to see what else you can do to it.

It came out looking amazing man. The whole suit looks fantastic. The undersuit looks good too. I love your paint job! Can't wait to see what else you can do to it.

Thanks so much, Meatwad! Once the last couple led's are installed I'll likely be starting another halo build quite soon, but I'll wait til that is set in stone before I say much more about it :)

Re: Phil's Reach EOD + Halo 4 thread of shenanigans (pretty much done)

That's a sweet set of armor! Nothing against the ODST and the Mark VI but I think your armor stands out more. Shame on me for not subscribing earlier. There's a lot of good information in this thread. I'll make sure to subscribe to your next build...whatever it is :).

Re: Phil's Reach EOD + Halo 4 thread of shenanigans (pretty much done)

Love how the chest came out! love this build and I am really excited for my build seeing this :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back