Phil's Reach EOD + Halo 4 thread of shenanigans-UNDERSUIT TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Phil's Reach EOD + Halo 4/5 thread of shenanigans (Finished Pics inside!)

Did I see a witch-king of Angmar helmet back there? Snaps, dude
*snap* *snap* *snap*

Did I see a witch-king of Angmar helmet back there? Snaps, dude
*snap* *snap* *snap*

You have a keen eye, sir. Banged out that helmet in about 3 hours for a halloween party I hosted two years ago. To date, I think it's the fastest foam prop I have made haha. Nothing too fancy or super detailed, but it looks nice on the wall.

FB_IMG_1432874552534.jpg

And just to keep it halo related ;) .... this is what my friends receive from me on snapchat. Chest is coming along slowly, but surely.

Snapchat-2556456481905730351.jpg

So i went out and purchased a new toy, which will be slowing down my armor building a bit (not like I wasn't already slow haha).

It's an 02 kx250 that needed a lot of love, but should last me a few seasons now that I've rebuilt most of it!

20150612_222532.jpg

Onto the Halo stuff! With the front of the chest somewhat complete, sans detail, it was time to attack the back, which is the far more complicated section. You can see here, a few shots of the layered up center section , as well as some super clean bevels on what ends up being the bottom of the back.

20150525_221138.jpg

20150525_221146.jpg

20150526_193720.jpg

And here it is all put together! I also added some shots of the inside so you guys can see what's going on in there. I will be layering more foam on the inside to add support once the outside has been completed.

20150616_100822.jpg

20150616_100835.jpg

20150616_100845.jpg

Lastly, for today, here is a shot of the "pods" that go on the back. I'm very happy with how these are coming along, as I'm able to get the craft foam to bevel and join almost perfectly. Should look awesome once it's painted up!

20150616_100906.jpg

Oh, and if anyone was curious about how much height my boots actually add, here's a shot of one of the boots next to a skate shoe very similar to the one encased in the boot.

20150603_085229.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Don't worry about going slow, I've been here 5 years and just started my build, and I'm still taking it slow.
Also, definitely been following your build for a while, it looks great!

This is such a well detailed build! keep up the good work, looking forward to the progress :)

Thanks guys!

So made a little more progress last night... finally received all of my led's and resistors in the mail, as well as got a free plate of plexiglass from a friend. So, naturally, I wanted to throw some lights at my finished pieces of armor.

For these lights, I am using a 3 aaa battery pack, with red diffused 5mm led's (I believe 30mA power draw) , and one 150 ohm resistor per led.

Here is a shot during the plexiglass cutting, and you can see all of my little bags of electrical bits that I can thank ebay for.

20150624_232821.jpg

The goods

20150625_000841.jpg

Just some clean solder work!

20150625_005409.jpg

And voila! Shrink tube applied during the solder work. I also tested each led/resistor/short wire combo before soldering the entire harness together to make sure I didn't overheat and burn out the led's/resistors.

20150625_112200.jpg

A shot of the cut and sanded plexi.

20150625_112238.jpg

The led's completely embedded in hot glue, which really helps to further diffuse the light, and give it an even glow.

20150625_121351.jpg

And done! I still need to mount the battery packs via stick on velcro, but the lights look pretty wicked!

20150625_121237.jpg

Re: Phil's Reach EOD + Halo 4/5 thread of shenanigans (WIP, pic heavy)

Plexi glass? Interesting. What did you cut it with? Looks very clean :D

Plexi glass? Interesting. What did you cut it with? Looks very clean :D

Thanks! I just used a cutting wheel on my Dremel to cut the plexi, and a sanding bit to "frost" it. You have to be careful with this stuff, as it is quite brittle. My first choice would have been polycarbonate, but I got the plexiglass for free, so figured why not!

Plexi is also a real pain to drill holes in, and you will see why I needed holes in my next update ;)

So i received a couple more goodies in the mail the other day, and decided to continue adding lighting to my currently finished pieces. I couldn't determine a good spot on the eod helmet for "flashlight" style lights, so I figured the left forearm would do the trick!

I used 4, 35000mcd white led's with 150 ohm resistors in parallel, with a micro switch to turn the light on and off, independent of the accent lighting. This way I can run it all off of one power source!

20150702_231051.jpg

20150702_235644.jpg

And here's the finished product! It's not quite as bright as the pic portrays, but it is still bright enough to be functional as a flashlight, and can easily light up a dark room.

IMG_20150703_002546.jpg

Where did you get the battery/switch boxes for all the red LEDs?

Also, I would love to see how the switch looks in the armor once it is fully attached! :)
You should totally take some photos of you pointing the flashlight at a wall with the room lights off and on for a comparison.

I meant to mention earlier that I love how your plexiglass pieces turned out. Really clean looking!

Where did you get the battery/switch boxes for all the red LEDs?

Also, I would love to see how the switch looks in the armor once it is fully attached! :)
You should totally take some photos of you pointing the flashlight at a wall with the room lights off and on for a comparison.

I meant to mention earlier that I love how your plexiglass pieces turned out. Really clean looking!

Thanks Wanderer TJ!

All of my electrical components are from eBay. .. so somewhere in China haha.

I'll definitely snap some more pics in the near future, and I'll be sure to upload them when I do!

Is there a particular search term I should look for in order to find awesome battery cases that have a switch built into them?

And lol, you definitely beat me when it comes to uploading things immediately, it takes me a while before I transfer them from my phone to my computer.

Is there a particular search term I should look for in order to find awesome battery cases that have a switch built into them?

And lol, you definitely beat me when it comes to uploading things immediately, it takes me a while before I transfer them from my phone to my computer.

I just had a peek at my purchase history, and they are labeled "aaa battery holder with on / off switch". So if you type "aaa battery pack" , or something along those lines, I'm sure it will come up in your search results!

As for the uploading, I just have the photo bucket app on my phone, so everything is done via mobile. Quick and easy haha.

Well it's now 3 am locally, and I have had a very productive weekend of netflixing and costume making.

Stop drop selfie! Test fit with a fantastic bonus photobomb from good old Mona. Mmmmm, I'm very pleased with how the back and shoulder pods came out... haven't even started adding detail back there yet!

20150705_190130.jpg

Since everything seemed to be fitting well, it was time to add the "underarm" portion to the chest piece, as well as some handy buckles for getting in and out of the suit.

As you can see here, I scored the surface of the buckles to give more grip for the hot glue. It worked surprisingly well, and on a test piece, the foam tore away from the glue, well before the glue was willing to let go of the plastic.

20150705_192518.jpg

Getting everything lined up!

20150705_202446.jpg

As you can see, there was a LOT of hot glue used here, as well as a good amount of foam to completely encase the buckles... I don't want any of these parts letting go on me!

20150705_204235.jpg

And a finished shot of the buckles done up, as seen from the inside of the chest.

20150706_025101.jpg

And lastly, a shot of the front of the chest, which I was able to finish detailing tonight. Hopefully over the next week or so I will be able to detail the back!

20150706_024910.jpg

Goodnight, World!

You did a great job with your buckle mounting. It looks really good for something few will ever get to see!

Not that everything else isn't fantastic, because it is!
Can't wait until you start on all the details!

You did a great job with your buckle mounting. It looks really good for something few will ever get to see!

Not that everything else isn't fantastic, because it is!
Can't wait until you start on all the details!

Thanks a ton for the kind words, Wanderer TJ!

On an added note, I'm not a big fan of the white craft foam I used... it feels softer and more flexible than the black I had just run out off. Oh well, off to the craft store I go haha.

Its looking really great. Seriously, amazing.
Very inspiring as well, I feel my own armour build starting soon.

Excellent work, Phil, again. :) Very well done indeed.

Love the helmet job you did.

Thanks Wanderer TJ!

All of my electrical components are from eBay. .. so somewhere in China haha.

I'll definitely snap some more pics in the near future, and I'll be sure to upload them when I do!

Good work on the suit so far :) I also got all my electronic components from ebay, buying that stuff in bulk is great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back