Warhammer 40k Raven Guard Space Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLOTHAR

Well it has been a while since I have posted on the 405th. A long ways back I had started a space marine scratch build (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24976-40K-Space-Marine-Scratch-Build). But it wasn't working out the way I wanted, and I didn't have a lot of time to work on it. So it fell off for a while. During the last year I was able to get back into the build, but I started it all over again using EVA foam. I chronicled the main build over at the Obscurus Crusade (http://z6.invisionfree.com/Obscurus_Crusade/index.php?showtopic=1212&hl=).

Here is quick run through of the build. I used the pepakura patterns to start with. I did some custom scaling to get the pieces the way I wanted them. After this I transferred the patterns onto sheets of EVA foam. Then I cut out and assembled everything using heaps of hot glue. At this point I took inspiration from Xrobots, and coated my armour in plastic resin. First I sealed it using PVA (white glue). I then coated the pieces with several coats of Smooth-on 65d. All in all the process worked great, and I was very happy with the results.
After this, I built the rigging for the suit. This included some aluminum frame pieces, and lots of webbing and velcro. Then I painted and weathered the suit. I went for a matte finish, and subtle weathering, and I really like how it turned out.

I have worn it to one convention so far, and it was great. I had almost no problems with it. the biggest problems were during the trip home, where it got a little beat up. But I was able to fix it up. Now I can start thinking about upgrades.

Questions and comments are welcome. Thanks for checking this out!

P6100050.jpg

P6180048.jpg

dec282_zpse1cfe27f.jpg

march1213_zpsee29d09c.jpg

march1314_zpse9c6628d.jpg

march1211_zpsc0ef98ad.jpg

March107_zpsbf918fcc.jpg

April78_zpsfb22cf0f.jpg

April76_zpse30c0786.jpg

April146_zps869ff50e.jpg

IMG_5024_zpse85dc0b7.jpg

IMG_5023_zpsbad0d9da.jpg

IMG_5029_zpsa0779e46.jpg

IMG_1835_zpsf2b2215c.jpg

IMG_1838_zps9b7074fa.jpg

Thanks! The plastic coating does wonders for the finish, and it makes it very durable too!

Thanks. It was really good to wear around for the day. I tried to build it for mobility rather than true space marine scale. It got a little hot with the helmet on though. I hope to put some fans in eventually.

awesome job, I thought it was a miniature XD, you plan to keep the color or anger for more details and colors?

trabajo impresionante, yo creí que era una miniatura XD, usted piensa mantener el color o ira por mas detalles y colores ?

Amazing dude, I used to play warhammer, I wish I could walk around as a space marine and see the look on peoples faces!

Toja - Thanks man! I considered leaving it grey to look like a miniature. I do plan on upgrading the suit over time, to a Sergeant, and eventually a Captain. So there will be added detail, but still in Raven Guard colours.

Alexhead - Thank you very much. Stomping around the crowds in this was pretty intoxicating. You should try it some time!

As a major WH40k fan, I can't help but highly approve of this project. I lol'd heartedly at the picture with the saw. That's not a chainsword! A really nice touch are the retro-illuminated visor eyes.

Gorgutz - thanks a bunch! The saw was just my brother and I mucking about, it is definitely NOT ​Con-friendly. As for the eyes, I used "glospex". I had to hack them up and modify them to fit, but they are a great product. I think $15 for a set. they light up and you can see through them no problem!

Never played the game but I love this build.

Question related to the GloSpex... did you separate out the battery/electronics box from the frames somehow (keeping it wired, of course)? Like just carefully cut it off the arm of the glasses or something? I just got a pair of GloSpex that I'm trying to utilize in my project but that pesky control box behind the ear is giving me issues where it's currently located.

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the positive feedback!

DRG - I did hack the glospex apart. Fortunately they come apart pretty easily with all the screw on bits. I removed the guts, then cut the battery pack off the arm, then put the guts back in . Then I mounted the lenses and moved the battery pack to a convenient place in the helmet. Best of luck!

When I saw the the first pictures then the finished suit... It made my day man!!! No lie. It's a labor of love and when you get it done and perfected the way you did... All you can do is smile!

Beautiful suit and my hats off to you -chase

Thanks everyone.

Shotgun rumble - you are absolutely right that it was a labor of love. My biggest build to date, and also my favourite. Took about a year to bring it together.

Thanks everyone.

Shotgun rumble - you are absolutely right that it was a labor of love. My biggest build to date, and also my favourite. Took about a year to bring it together.

A quick question about the suit! How did you get the perfect curve in the shoulders?!?!? I'm dying to know because they look perfect and have that awesome feel to them!

The shoulders were put together in a series of strips of foam. They were cut from a modified pepakura model. Then I heatgunned it to shape it a bit nicer, and followed up with some bondo smoothing. If you are interested in 40k costuming, there is a great group at Obscurus Crusade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back