ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitingMatrix95

Hello, 405th. I may have tried a few projects before, but i believe this will be different.
Here is my ODST build, using Hugh Holder's ODST files. Here's what i have, and what i plan to do:

Full ODST armor with the Heavy UA (Dutch) attachment, and possibly a flashlight. If i can get my hands on it, i will also build Sean Bradley's ODST Backpack, and use M6 SOCOM.
I currently have about 2/3 of the base helmet finished, and i would like your input on the size so far.

untitled_by_unitingmatrix95-d6bki1v.jpg

Thanks for looking.

nice an ODST build i love doing the ODST but so fat its looking good the helmets are always hard to build being that they are supposed to be really round on the top and sanding bondo is always such a pain in the ass and the fiberglass on the inside is a [EXPLETIVE DELETED] to put in but once its all together and looking nice it is worth the effort i spend more time on helmets than the rest of the armor i always put a lot more effort into the helmets because they are the real make it or break it when it comes to armor but i do suggest padding the inside of the helm with floam you know that foam molding stuff you see kids playing with i know i know it sounds stupid but it works all you have to do is let it dry and it will be ready to apply whatever upholstery you may decide install i suggest something soft that breaths so it doesnt get too hot inside the helmet and installing small fans wherever you can also helps because the way floam works you can cut coolant canals in the foam layer to help circulate the air throughout the helmet providing cool air inside the helmet reducing sweat and the possibility of mold growing on the inside after a while of use i ussually install the fans on the air intake ports when it comes to a dutch build but for the other ODST helmets i ussually put them in the back of the helmet and cut small lines for an opening and put screen door mesh in to help filter the air but i always but the baterys in the cheeks of the helmet and the switch on the underside of the right cheek for convenience for me i hope that my advice helped message me if you have any more questions

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got a great start there. I've been sitting on Dutch's helmet for some time now. It will be nice to see another one come to life.

Thanks for the support, guys! I know what you mean with helmets. Last time i tried must've been a year ago, now. I tried to make an EVA helmet. Turned out way too big.
Also, carp. I looked at your M6X, that's a nice kit you got there. I might use that. And if i built it properly, you think i can make it switch parts?

Sorry for double reply, but I got a small update on the helmet, which should get a better size reference. The visor in the was held in place by 3 small spots of glue, and I took it off after the picture. Without furthers adieu, the current state of my ODST helmet!

image_by_unitingmatrix95-d6boodi.jpg

Might have another update at the end of the day. Should be nearly finished by then.

Looks great! Your folds look nice and sharp, good work. There's a suprising lack of ODST helmets that have been pepped.

Sorry for yet another double post, but not many people are commenting. Update on helmet: nearly finished, but with questions. See pics.

image_by_unitingmatrix95-d6c0gzr.jpg

image_by_unitingmatrix95-d6c0gcq.jpg

What can I do about this gap? In the model, it shows that only the edges should be touching.

What can I do about this gap? In the model, it shows that only the edges should be touching.[/QUOTE]

If you CAN try trimming back that piece that orbits it to make it shrink and fit in. If you can't do that, and that's going to be some work, then you can always cover it with resined fabric and bondo over it. You'll lose full symmetry, but that will be hard to tell. I'd say try to trim if it you can first. It's rough, but you seem detail oriented and I imagine you'll look at that one side with the extra MM of bondo on it and wonder...

Thanks for the tip.
A couple more pieces to cut and glue on, and I'm done. Will be starting on chest tomorrow. Also, I'll be making a SECOND suit for my sister. It's currently unknown what style ODST helmet she wants, but the rest of the armor will be built alongside mine. Still wondering what kind of unique color scheme I should go with... Anyway, that's my update for today.

Also, carp. I looked at your M6X, that's a nice kit you got there. I might use that. And if i built it properly, you think i can make it switch parts?

I designed it with the ability to switch from the M6C to the M6G to the M6 SOCOM; so swaping out parts should be easy enough. Don't go using the one that's there now, though. I'm in the process of improving the file. Keep an eye out for it.

Great job thus far! Keep it up.

I designed it with the ability to switch from the M6C to the M6G to the M6 SOCOM; so swaping out parts should be easy enough. Don't go using the one that's there now, though. I'm in the process of improving the file. Keep an eye out for it.

Alright, thanks. And with the helmet basically finished, I need to start thinking about hardening. What kind of resin should I use, and how much will it be?

The common hardening method is one or two layers of fiberglass resin on the exterior, one layer of resin-soaked fiberglass cloth on the interior and detailing/smoothing on the exterior with bondo automotive body filler. It depends on where you shop, but a gallon of resin is usually between $20-$30, and a gallon of bondo between $15-$25. Fiberglass cloth usually runs about $5-$10, usually on the cheaper side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back