(Finished!) Mass Effect N7 Helmet Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking very good so far. My girlfriend and I are huge Mass Effect fans, so I'm interested to see how it turns out. :)

UpDate!
So I've moved on the the top of the helmet, and this is my first foam build so please guys offer me some help if you have some.

DSCN0398_zps2305c841.jpg

DSCN0399_zpsfadc9322.jpg

DSCN0400_zpsaf0ec2d9.jpg

DSCN0401_zps77778571.jpg

More to come soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
UpDate #2
Ok so I just came back from a week long vacation, took a look at the N7 helmet and decided to get off my ass and finish it so today the structure was completed! Now all I have to do is start making it presentable.
DSCN0408_zps038740ba.jpg
DSCN0404_zps0bf1d898.jpg
DSCN0405_zps871169ae.jpg
Please give any pointers you can to me, this is my first foam project and anything could help me!
Stay posted, more to come soon.

Hey there, always nice to see people experimenting with foam like myself.
I have a small piece of advice to offer with this build that will give you an end result that you will be very happy with.
I see that you have cut the tabs off of your pepakura files which is great as you obviously don't need them for foam, but what I would do is look at reference pictures of the helmet and try to tape as many pieces of the file together as you can before transferring them to foam. A quick example of this would be the center piece of the top of the helm. It doesn't actually need that joint right down the middle, so roughly tape the paper pieces together and make it as large a piece as you can. The less joints in the large pieces, the better.

I just noticed something else, from looking at the edges of the foam it would appear that you are using the knife as though it were a saw (back and forth motion). It is possible to get very tight joints (smooth edges) if you lay the foam on to a hard surface or cutting mat and pull the knife towards you as smoothly as possible. With the hot glue gun you can then press the pieces together tightly but I would then advise pressing them together from the external edge first so that excess glue is pushed to the inside of the helm, leaving you with as smooth a joint as possible.

You should be able to manipulate the foam as you are gluing it to form awkward shapes/bends

I hope this is of some use to you

PoeJohnson has good advice. I would also recommend keeping your knife sharp... very sharp. You can get a sharpening stone, or buy the disposable razor knives so you can break off worn out blades and continue. Getting smooth cut edges makes a huge difference when assembling.

But do far the shape and look of the helm is good. Keep at it!

Thanks you guys your advise is great but a bit too late for this helmet I'm afraid. However, I have found ways to "cover up" my mistakes and will be using your advice in the future. Stay tuned for more.

UpDate #3
Ok so in order to fix my mistakes I decided to cover them up with foam sheets and here's how it turned out.
DSCN0417_zps90394ceb.jpg
DSCN0418_zpsa60c3269.jpg
DSCN0419_zpsbd7dbe1b.jpg
DSCN0420_zps56c4bdd4.jpg
Now it's on to Plati-Dip and paint.

It's looking great man! Those foam sheets are a life saver. Soon enough it will be fit enough to wear in space!

Last Update!
Well it was a pain in the ass but I am done. I think that for my first ever and hopefully only foam build it looks pretty good.
DSCN0425_zpsa13e0ec2.jpg
DSCN0426_zps4b729b4c.jpg
DSCN0427_zps2bb37670.jpg
DSCN0428_zps50c88547.jpg
I would like to thank everyone for your help and comments that helped me finish this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back