Halo Reach ODST/ Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kahnah

Hey guys its been a while since i have been involved in this hobby and the 405th forum. Today i want to invite you to take a look at my current build. My favorite character/ armor in the halo series has always been the ODST, especially the Reach ODST. I caught on to a thread recently that has brought my favorite character to life.

Here is the link: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/38847-Halo-Reach-Source-Assets-Release-Thread

To start off i would like a few members of the community. Thank you Missingspartan7 for extracting the marine/ ODST files and making the available to us. I would also like to thank Jasontehpwnzor for a few of his extractions as well. Also I would like to thank Paigemaster for kicking off the halo reach assets.

Now lets get started.
IMG_0686_zps06c00386.jpg
IMG_0688_zpsa0af4940.jpg

I accidentally made two helmets which are not the right size for my head. the ODST helmet in the middle is the right sized helmet for my head the other two are too big and too small

IMG_1149_zps2ed2f615.jpg

Here are some assorted parts for my build
notice that there are only one thigh and one shoulder piece. this is because the left piece is identical to the right. My plan is to have the whole suit molded. So in that case all the parts that are symmetrically identical will only be pepped once (these pieces include thigh, shoulder and shin).

IMG_1151_zps9d4019b8.jpg

Im currently working on peping out the left forearm and shin.

Plan:
My plan for this build is to have a combination of hard and soft parts. I plan on making a base suit which will consist of the uniform, and a vest which will be custom made by me to incorporate the chest armor. Im currently planning how i wish to go about this idea, as well as trying to learn how to sew. If any one is experienced with a sewing machine please feel free to PM me. im almost certain i need help. Also i mentioned above that i would like to have the individual hard parts molded. I would like to make multiple copies and have a few friends wear these suits.
ETA:
well i expect to have this suit done by the release of Halo 5. thankfully it has not been announced when it will be released so im way ahead of schedule. Honestly I cant exactly plan how long this is going to take, due to a new semester about to start as well as internships. for all i know this may take up to a year or more. But i do assure you this is my favorite costume and i have been wanting to build this for quite some time so I do expect to finish this.

I want to do this build a little different from my last builds, so i will be reserving the first few posts which will eventually depict one piece at a time built to completion. i just want this to be organized and neat.

Helmet Update 11/05/2016
IMG_2428_zps59wvgorf.jpg
IMG_2430_zpsiimggwhd.jpg
IMG_2431_zpsdaulmddi.jpg

Update 11/07/2016
This weekend I decided to tackle the back end of the helmet. This has to be the most difficult part of the helmet and the reason being is sanding out any imperfections within the small recesses of the helmet felt almost impossible. However this was the most interesting part of the build so far because the back of the hemet has the most detail. Thank goodness I was able to stumble upon the ancient thread "the official halo reach reference thread" which still had pictures of the ODST helmet available to access. Without it I would have had no idea how to detail the back end of the helmet. Below are some poorly photographed pictures of the helmet. Im going to have to stop by Walmart and buy an actual primer instead of using this glossy paint. These pictures really don't do the helmet justice. You are missing a few of the details I have been able to work in due to glare from lighting.

IMG_2443_zpsehbhu7ey.jpg
IMG_2440_zpsmq7tn0mc.jpg

There is still A lot of work to be done here in the back of the helmet. I would call it 50% complete. still need to go over a few spots with spot putty and sand it down with 120 grit paper. Also I have to fill in some spots where I am building up detail with some bondo. Hopefully I can find some free time this week to finish up the back so that I can move on to to brow of the helmet. As you can see I am taping up the front so I can fix a bit of warpage and add detail. Also below Is reference for the back of the helmet

IMG_2438_zps2ur6srin.jpg

Update 11/13
IMG_2499_zpsemqyq95c.jpg
I started this weekend by adding detail right above the visor. I Felt it would be appropriate to build the area up rather than cut the detail in. It also gives the helmet a little more personality. As you can see I am planning out where Im going to add even more detail to the visor area and I started planning the shape of the vents as well as the the shape of the details in the ear area.
IMG_2501_zps6ungg14f.jpg
IMG_2503_zps2uooox6b.jpg
I began cleaning up the back side of the helmet. I still have a lot to do but as you can see the detail is really starting to come along well. IMG_2506_zps7beebxoj.jpg
If anyone was wondering how I get crisp lines I use foam craft sheets that have and adhesive back to build up the area in sections like the "cheek" that is depicted here using bondo. Ill then sand and smooth the area, Tape it off and then fill in the missing section and sand that part.
IMG_2508_zpspcxxndri.jpg
I am currently focusing on correcting a bit of warpage at the brow of the helmet. Some how as the helmet sat in storage over the past few years one side of the brow began to droop. In order to get both sides to match up I'm adding layer upon layer of bondo. This part alone took me the majority of the weekend. While I waited for the bondo to cure I was able to add the rest of the detail to the "mouth" area.
IMG_2510_zpsxhbqpcbs.jpg
Im going to have to fill the detail lines at the top of the helmet now that they do not matchup with the corrected warpage. Other than that I'm happy to say that the helmet is looking pretty symmetrical even though the camera can't seem to capture it. I may have to back up a bit more and as I said earlier, BUY DIFFERENT COLORED PAINT. Anyways that is it for now>

Enjoy

^ "Comments may follow"?
Comments will follow.

Looking like a good start so far!
I haven't been one to print textures directly on to the cardstock, but each to their own. I suppose it would definitely provide a good reference when you get to detailing.

Any chance of seeing the unfolded files for the Marine/ODST?

CJ

Looking like a good start so far!
I haven't been one to print textures directly on to the cardstock, but each to their own. I suppose it would definitely provide a good reference when you get to detailing.

Any chance of seeing the unfolded files for the Marine/ODST?

CJ

Printing the textures on the helmet doesn't really matter. It will all be covered up by bondo anyways. however because i have more than one of the same ODST helmet pepped out, it actually does serve as a viable reference.

MS7 i would love to release these files. Problem is when I started unfolding these I didnt know that i needed a product key to save them. Eventually when I have some extra cash laying around ill get that Product key and really start Unfolding the models on the Reach Assets thread.

Added some progress photos.
Helmet, shoulder
and some brainstorming of the under suit vest.
IMG_1172_zps73fe3f06.jpg

Happy to answer any Questions, comments, critiques, and complements

Hey guys its been a while since i have been involved in this hobby and the 405th forum. Today i want to invite you to take a look at my current build. My favorite character/ armor in the halo series has always been the ODST, especially the Reach ODST. I caught on to a thread recently that has brought my favorite character to life.

Here is the link: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/38847-Halo-Reach-Source-Assets-Release-Thread

To start off i would like a few members of the community. Thank you Missingspartan7 for extracting the marine/ ODST files and making the available to us. I would also like to thank Jasontehpwnzor for a few of his extractions as well. Also I would like to thank Paigemaster for kicking off the halo reach assets.

Now lets get started.
IMG_0686_zps06c00386.jpg
IMG_0688_zpsa0af4940.jpg

I accidentally made two helmets which are not the right size for my head. the ODST helmet in the middle is the right sized helmet for my head the other two are too big and too small

IMG_1149_zps2ed2f615.jpg

notice that there are only one thigh and one shoulder piece. this is because the left piece is identical to the right. My plan is to have the whole suit molded. So in that case all the parts that are symmetrically identical will only be pepped once (these pieces include thigh, shoulder and shin).

IMG_1151_zps9d4019b8.jpg

Plan:
My plan for this build is to have a combination of hard and soft parts. I plan on making a base suit which will consist of the uniform, and a vest which will be custom made by me to incorporate the chest armor. Im currently planning how i wish to go about this idea, as well as trying to learn how to sew. If any one is experienced with a sewing machine please feel free to PM me. im almost certain i need help. Also i mentioned above that i would like to have the individual hard parts molded. I would like to make multiple copies and have a few friends wear these suits.
ETA:
well i expect to have this suit done by the release of Halo 5. thankfully it has not been announced when it will be released so im way ahead of schedule. Honestly I cant exactly plan how long this is going to take, due to a new semester about to start as well as internships. for all i know this may take up to a year or more. But i do assure you this is my favorite costume and i have been wanting to build this for quite some time so I do expect to finish this.

I want to do this build a little different from my last builds, so i will be reserving the first few posts which will eventually depict one piece at a time built to completion. i just want this to be organized and neat.

Is that Reconz i see in the background? very nice

wow, this looks like my room when I was building halo reach marine helms. but over all nice work on the helms, oh and the ODST chest looks like marine chest.

BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!!!!

I can't believe it has been three years already. I guess life happens. I had been looking through some old boxes and stumbled onto this old project. I have been looking for a fun and creative hobby recently so I figured I might as well finish this one up. Most of the pep'ed pieces ended up warped or damaged so those will have to be rebuilt. What I plan on doing is ordering a brand new 3d printer and rather than peping, sanding and adding detail with bondo, I will just print out all the armor pieces. The only parts of this build that could be recovered are the helmet, which has a slightly warped visor, the shoulders and the chest piece. the gantlets, abdominal sections, base chest, and leg armor will probably be 3D printed.

So wish me luck. Hopefully I will have this wrapped up before this time next year.

Also added some updated pictures of where the helmet stands at the moment.

Would anyone happen to have a reference shot of the back of the ODST helmet. I was planing on working that area today and for the life of me I cannot find any shots on google or find my halo reach game.
Thank you in advance

Now lets get started.
[url]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x326/kah-nah/IMG_0686_zps06c00386.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x326/kah-nah/IMG_0688_zpsa0af4940.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x326/kah-nah/IMG_1149_zps2ed2f615.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x326/kah-nah/IMG_1151_zps9d4019b8.jpg[/URL]

Plan:
ETA:

Love the look of the helmets!

Love the look of the helmets!

Thank you very much.

Just updated the Helmet build. I didn't realize how unorthodox it was going to be to have reserved posts for updates. Once I'm not allowed to edit the previous comments this thread is going to become really confusing.

Anyways let me know what you think.

The detail on the back of the helmet looks really clean I love that you can see a difference between what I assume is the side you've worked on and the untouched one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back