RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

The latest update on Pepakura Designer I received today from Tama Software is they're cleaning up the toolbar tool tips (adding the missing ones and updating others for overall consistency) and it should be ready for download by the end of this month. From what I gather, it will be another 3.x minor release supporting 2D View part groupings, but no news yet on whether groups will be saved in the .pdo file.

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Since this is presently a WIP thread I should probably show more work in progress, so here are photos of the left forearm's progress. That's right, before even finishing the right forearm work is started on the left one beginning with the tiny wrist details:

NewForearms6.jpg

...building up the first three subassemblies:

NewForearms7.jpg

They're connected together before pepping the backside so there's easy access to the flaps for nice tight seams on the trenches:

NewForearms8.jpg

...which is why the first "ring" tier is split in the Cameo unfold, because that's where the first tier closes up at the back:

NewForearms9.jpg

The left forearm is several days behind of the right one, but it's going together much cleaner having learned an ideal assembly sequence from building the right one. It definitely makes a difference in which order the parts are assembled.

NewForearms10.jpg

At the moment, I'm finishing up the first main trench line for the left forearm:

NewForearms11.jpg

More photos later when I get further along.

Bro your pep skills are inhuman. Great work, cant wait to see more!!!!!

Bro your pep skills are inhuman. Great work, cant wait to see more!!!!!

Thanks. It's just an eye for details, patience, and working under a magnifying lamp. (Yes, I'm human, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.) The right forearm is up to the elbow cap which is halfway pepped, and the left forearm has just passed the first trench line. They should be ready for more photos by the weekend.

Pepakura Designer 1.3.4 is now available for download. This version adds the features of optional 2D View movement restriction to single axis, key-repeat support when holding down cursor keys for rotating in 3D View and moving parts in 2D View, and grouping/ungrouping of parts in 2D View. Unfortunately, they opted to not save group information in the .pdo file, so any groups you define will be lost when closing the file and re-opening it. But at least having the option of grouping parts while a file is open will make it a lot easier to rotate and align groups of parts while maintaining their relative positions to each other. http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

More pictures! The right forearm is ready for its top elbow "crown" with the left one following close behind it. Some of the seams got a little messy on the right forearm while I was still in the process of figuring out in which order not to assemble the parts, but after resin and sanding nobody's gonna see it anyway.

NewForearms12.jpg

So that means the elbow area needs to get assembled for attaching to the forearms:

NewForearms13.jpg

NewForearms14.jpg

The right one is currently in the process of being added onto its forearm:

NewForearms15.jpg

Meanwhile, I've started working on something quite small which will be needed to finish up the model. If interested, you can read about its construction in my other build thread which I've started updating with new photos.

NewForearms16.jpg

Are you worried at all about the resin not reaching into all the small and fine crevasses?

Are you worried at all about the resin not reaching into all the small and fine crevasses?

Not really, because in those areas I'm intending to apply the resin from the backside instead and simply let it wick into the paper. All the resin really needs to do is strengthen the piece so it can withstand rondo and glassing without warping. As long as all the paper is infused with resin, which can be accomplished from the outside and/or inside, there shouldn't be any problems.

Not really, because in those areas I'm intending to apply the resin from the backside instead and simply let it wick into the paper. All the resin really needs to do is strengthen the piece so it can withstand rondo and glassing without warping. As long as all the paper is infused with resin, which can be accomplished from the outside and/or inside, there shouldn't be any problems.

Hello!! Big fan of your work and currently trying to figure out how to make my son a halo costume. I saw the photos of your amazing work and thought I'd ask if you knew how I could go about making one. I do not have pepakura just a measuring board lol I've been trying to find spreads that I could just print out but can't seem to find any, let me know if you can help in anyway!
Thank you,
chloe

Hello!! Big fan of your work and currently trying to figure out how to make my son a halo costume. I saw the photos of your amazing work and thought I'd ask if you knew how I could go about making one. I do not have pepakura just a measuring board lol I've been trying to find spreads that I could just print out but can't seem to find any, let me know if you can help in anyway!
Thank you,
chloe

Thanks - First thing you need to do is turn around and run to a costume shop! lol

Then, after you've decided "nah, I'd really rather build one" and you're serious about making a personalized costume which (potentially) looks better than the typical foam-enhanced screen-printed jumpsuits sold at stores, you'll need to accept that this doesn't happen quickly nor inexpensively. Just the resin alone for a full suit can cost you more than buying a costume (if you go the fiberglass route instead of the foam route).

Head over to the File Archive section of this site to download the costume parts you want to make. Yes, you will need Pepakura to scale and print the parts - and the free version of Pepakura Designer is an option if you don't care about saving your scaled parts (but at least record your scaling information for each model so you can remember what numbers you used when inevitably redoing parts). And I cannot stress this enough - read, read, and read the many stickies here at this site. Watch YouTube tutorial videos about Pepakura (the first half of my own video is good for learning about Pepakura and how to arrange parts on pages, but there are many other videos as well - such as Cereal Kill3r's informative and entertaining videos). Read through build threads that are similar to the type of costume you want to make. (You will learn a lot from all of this - especially if you've never done anything like this before.)

You don't need to build something detailed and fancy unless you want to. There are plenty of low-detail models available, and some people even make the armor parts out of cardboard. It can be as detailed and rugged (or not) as you want it to be, depending on how you choose to build it.

When I started, I had never even heard of Pepakura, and had never played Halo - I knew pretty much nothing except that I've always had craftsmanship skills and that papercrafting is much easier than working with plastics, metals, and wood. Be prepared to learn a lot (that learning curve does indeed look pretty steep when looking up at it), to spend a fair amount of money on tools and materials, and to invest a lot of time creating something that will turn heads and have people asking for photos.

And welcome to the hobby. :)

Reference material arrived today for the second half of my little project....

HunterFigure.jpg

Getting a little further on the last area of the right forearm. Small, but manageable:

NewForearms17.jpg

I decided to use the HD file's approach with assembling the interior details of this area separately for easier finishing and then add them in later. So I'm "kit-bashing" together UD parts and the HD holding frame:

NewForearms20.jpg

But wait - let's get really small.....

NewForearms18.jpg

No, that's not a scrap - that's an actual part for the antecubital detail...on my pinky finger. Sneeze, and it's gone. So when you find yourself thinking that your pep build is just too difficult, I say, consider yourself fortunate to be making something at a larger scale. Assembling parts this small has me looking forward to the upcoming Hunter parts.

NewForearms19.jpg

And yes, all the parts were cut on a Silhouette Cameo.

Im in a special sort of awe... not the type where I want to do what hes doing, but Im glad that i dont do that but it is amazing

the work you have put into this is stunning.... I cant wait to see it when you get the resin stage :)

Thanks. To me, they look about the same after resin - just shiny with an amber tint. I look forward to seeing them after Bondo and primer. Of course, the best will be after final painting and all the LEDs switched on.

Work slowly progresses on the remaining parts for the right forearm. It's going a little slower now because the parts are so dang small. There's not even enough surface area on the flaps for glue to grip more than they cling to tweezers. (So they sometimes come off when I try to let go with the tweezers.) But, I eventually get them to stay on (and in the right position). Then after they're set a film of glue on the inside holds them together well. Also there have been a few nights when I didn't get to pep much at all due to working with SirPalesAlot on an improved shoulder model that's starting to look pretty awesome. Anyways, I got one side finished and I've already started work on the other side plus the one for the left forearm. The pronounced ridges on the taper is the effect of cardstock thickness and the tiny scale. They will fill and sand smooth during finishing.

NewForearms21.jpg

The HD and UD Forearm Cameo unfolds are updated in the file archive with reduced parts count and easier assembly of the antecubital area. Vertical seams on the lateral "torpedoes" makes them too difficult to get perfect alignment for fitting onto the forearm, so this area has been changed to horizontal seams. They go together quicker now, and perfectly align with the forearm edges. (The LD and MD unfolds already had horizontal seams for these parts.)

Man your work on this is crazy. Im glad im not making one as small as you are, then again I plan on 3D printing mine. Im so glad you decided to add that as an option.

Besides pepping ridiculously small parts to finish up the forearms, helping SirPalesAlot with a new upper-arm model, turning the Hunter shield Pepakura model into an ultra-high detail model....this is also Halloween week (with two L's since we have no finished Halo costume yet) so it's pretty busy here with non-405th stuff. Thought I'd share this year's pumpkin with y'all.

Pumpkin1.jpg

Can't tell what it is? Well, let's turn out the lights...

Pumpkin2.jpg

Happy Halloween

*Sigh* No Master Chief costume this year for me either. Next year should be a different story. I feel like I've said that before lol.

That pumpkin looks pretty sweet. I've never tried to carve pumpkin like that before, but I think mine would be terrible lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back