RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW your attention to detail is astounding. The fact youre doing this for your kid impresses me, its never too early to get people into science fiction and thinking up new things. Since you dont like microsoft products, Ill suggest the books to help you get an idea of how the chief and his spartans operate. The first three books by Eric Nyland set the ground work for how it all came to be, theyre really easy to read and you could probably knock one out in a day and a half. Your son would really enjoy them as well.

Ill be watching this build constantly to see how awesome youre doing.

Thank you much. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, we're only interested in the photos - no Halo story. It's all visual (and that's the reason for the super-detailing - I'm not one to settle for adequate when I'm capable of better). The only sad part is he'll outgrow it. (Too bad it's not MY sized!) Got the shoulder-plate wells boxed in today and they're looking sharp. Can't wait to get to the next update post with photos, or even better - when the "roughed in" mat board detailing starts getting smoothed out with bondo.

Thank you much. At the risk of sounding blasphemous, we're only interested in the photos - no Halo story. It's all visual (and that's the reason for the super-detailing - I'm not one to settle for adequate when I'm capable of better). The only sad part is he'll outgrow it. (Too bad it's not MY sized!) Got the shoulder-plate wells boxed in today and they're looking sharp. Can't wait to get to the next update post with photos, or even better - when the "roughed in" mat board detailing starts getting smoothed out with bondo.

A good place to look would be the "The Perfect Spartan" making-of for Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn. It shows just how they made a life-size, HD suit of Mjolnir Mk.IV armour for it.

Thanks. We own the special edition DVD of "Forward Unto Dawn" (which contributed to the initial motivations for him wanting a costume), and the DVD has much bonus content including a featurette on the making of Master Chief's armor for the show. It's very cool and for awhile my son wanted me to modify the armor to look like "Forward Unto Dawn", but then changed his mind back to pure Halo 3 style. This movie did however trigger the notion of lights in the armor pieces (which I had not known about previously - I hadn't seen photos or 405th buildups with lights yet to know otherwise), and so of course this armor is going to have full lighting effects. (Already have 20 lights purchased from Dollar Tree, and have thatdecade's ammo counter and "stuff" for other things coming...) (No spoiler, please, thatdecade - lol)

Anyway, getting back on topic, do the photos in "The Perfect Spartan" show the Halo 3 version of the armor or the modified armor for "Forward Unto Dawn"/Halo 4? They are noticeably different on nearly all the armor pieces.

thats the best part! you can figure out how to get it down 100% during your sons build and when thats done you can crank one out for yourself and youll know all the tips and trick.

Not really into Halo, myself. Ever since I was a teen I've wanted a chromed-up Cylon Centurian outfit, and now that pep-ish files exist online (already have them downloaded) if I get around to making yet another costume for myself it will probably be that (with oscillating red LED "eye", looped warble audio, and voice-changing helmet).

Cats got into the craft room today (we have 5 cats) and crushed some of the left shoulder parts I had out on the desk. (Dang it!) They're mostly repaired but now the left piece will need a little more bondo work than the right piece due to creased paper. Nobody will know the difference after painting, but still annoying.

Not really into Halo, myself. Ever since I was a teen I've wanted a chromed-up Cylon Centurian outfit, and now that pep-ish files exist online (already have them downloaded) if I get around to making yet another costume for myself it will probably be that (with oscillating red LED "eye", looped warble audio, and voice-changing helmet).

hell yeah man, whenever you start that one up make sure to post a link here so we can all check it out. The borg suit you made was killer.

Here's a small update to start presenting modifications made to the shoulder armor. Close-up references of Master Chief's shoulder clearly show two additional indents which are missing in the pep files. I used the HD files by ROBOGENESIS with dimensions of H=217, W=125, D=106 and started by re-doing the unfold of the shoulder area to make it all one part, except for the indents and center panel. I had originally used TurboCAD Mac Pro to model the missing indents on the prototype but decided to make them more subtle for the final piece to better match references. I made cardstock templates for positioning the new indents (A in the photo) and cut the three inside edges:

Shoulder1.png

The outside edges were scored for folding. Cardstock holes cut from the templates (B) and mat board sidewalls (C) were glued to the backside:

Shoulder2.jpg

Next, another card stock template hole was elongated (D) and glued to the backside for durability and securing the indent's non-folded end. The mat board inside sidewall was thin and fragile so a card stock strip (E) was glued on to hold it in place. The opposite upper edge was simply glued to the mat board:

Shoulder3.jpg

The prototype piece had the center panel removed for building it at the same level as the surrounding surfaces and separated by a trench line, as that's how it originally appeared to me in references. Closer inspection of reference photos shows the panel to indeed be raised, but with a raised detail surrounding the bottom half with a slightly raised area below. The lines were added using 1mm wide mat board and the raised area was cut from cardstock. The mat board lines will be tapered down at the upper terminating ends after hardening.

Shoulder4.jpg

Shoulder5.jpg

The biceps were the next parts needing attention. As illustrated in the photo below, the High Detail piece includes an inner detail part but it's flush with the surrounding surface at the bottom rather than indented. The Normal Detail piece doesn't include the inner detail part but has the correct indent at the bottom. I chose to re-make this detail to improve its appearance, and also add the surrounding surface detail circled in the photo.

Bicep+Compare.png

The first thing I did again was re-do the unfolding of the outer arm and inner detail. The inner detail part was cut from mat board, with the cardstock pep part trimmed by 1mm to create a "step" around the upper perimeter. A single layer of cardstock didn't provide a noticeable enough step so I doubled its thickness.

Bicep1.jpg

(Not enough fingers...)
Bicep2.jpg

Raised detail was added using 1mm wide mat board, which will be tapered down after hardening:

Bicep3.jpg

The pep trench surrounding the inner detail wasn't refined or deep enough for me, so I decided to rebuild it as illustrated by this diagram:

Bicep+Detail.jpg

Mat board strips were glued to the backside to provide interior support and keep the trench edges straight:

Bicep4.jpg

Lastly, the inner detail part is attached and you can see from the photo below it now has the correct indent at the bottom with well-defined separation lines around it. Additional 1mm mat board strips were added to the outside which will also be tapered after hardening.

Bicep5.jpg

Holy shi... Your detailing is incredible and you havent even began bondo yet. Super awesome job!!

Btw, halo encyclopedia = best book ever. Of all time. I'm so glad my local library has let me keep a copy for the last 3 months just because nobody else has requested it yet, lol.

Thanks, all. If you like that then you'll love how it looks in the next update. The "lab rat" left one is further along than these photos of the right one, and it's turning out super. And you're right - this is just the "rough" pep phase. Indeed I am anxious to see these pieces smoothed out with filler and primed. The X-acto scoring method creates nice clean folds but sometimes causes fuzzy edges making it look not-so-good, but I know that will go away with resin and filling/sanding.

agreed, keeping it classy with the clips i presume :)

I don't follow you. The clothespins? Armor indents? Thread posts? Quick-release plastic clips to be added later? Not sure what you mean by "clips"...

Anyway, getting back on topic, do the photos in "The Perfect Spartan" show the Halo 3 version of the armor or the modified armor for "Forward Unto Dawn"/Halo 4? They are noticeably different on nearly all the armor pieces.

The armour in Forward Unto Dawn is actually Mjolnir Mk.IV armor. It predates the Halo 3/Halo 4 armour by a lot. The Mk.IV armour can also be seen in the Halo Legends episode "The Package".

I believe he's just referring to your clothspin clamps. Which are a great idea, btw. :D

Ah. Well, to me they were just obvious to use. Ironically, we have them in the house not for laundry but for use as clamps in craft projects. They're small, inexpensive, lightweight, and provide enough strength to hold something together but not so much as to cause damage.

The Mk.IV armour can also be seen in the Halo Legends episode "The Package".

I really couldn't tell you the differences between various generations of Spartan armor, except that due to current action figures and Mega Bloks sets being from Halo 4 and me being attuned to the details of Halo 3 armor (from reference pics, not from playing the game) I can distinguish the variations between those two. We have the Halo Legends DVD as well and just finished watching the last episode last week.

The level of detail youre going into is amazing! Are you considering molding these pieces after you finish?

Thanks. I'm not planning to mold the pieces, as that would be a lot of work (and money) for a kid's costume - not practical in my opinion. If you're thinking the pep detailing is a lot of work, well it actually isn't. Just takes a little more time to cut and glue some extra parts, but there's really nothing complex about it. The original pepped pieces will be glassed, smoothed, painted, wired for lighting, and strapped to a custom undersuit.

This is some incredibly detailed pep work. It seems like you can do to cardstock what Cerealkiller can do to bondo. Awesome work, can't wait for more updates.

This is some incredibly detailed pep work. It seems like you can do to cardstock what Cerealkiller can do to bondo. Awesome work, can't wait for more updates.

Thanks! He does amazing detail with Rondo and is one of my top inspirations, but I think it's easier to do the detailing with cardstock and mat board. Besides ease and speed, it also has the advantages of being lighter weight (Rondo weighs more than paper) and can be re-done if mistakes are made. (I expect removing cured Rondo to be more difficult than re-pepping a couple parts on a piece.) Like I've said in prior posts, this pep work is very "rough" and will start looking much better after hardening. I'm used to working with plastics and metal, so working with paper is like a vacation.

I'm in the process of wrapping up the shoulder/bicep pieces with one more custom detail being added....

that is some awesome detail. what I did for the bondo rounded edges was to get a flat and triangular files and a couple of rotozip cutters for my dremel and had a very slow and careful detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back