RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Thanks, it was my first time attempting a "3D" effect. I think it turned out acceptable for a squash.

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Ok so from the first start of this website and everything that is the great idea of Pepakura this thread here is one of the best threads ive seen in a reallllyyy long time . RobotChiken i have to give you mad respect for this work your doing. i really hope you make molds of this ultra high Detail suit i cant wait to see more work from this madhouse of pep.

Thanks - but I can honestly say from knowing what's posted in this thread so far versus what's coming down the pipe that you all don't know about.... "you ain't seen nut'n yet".

I don't have any plans to do molding. That's an expense I don't want to invest in, and because of the cost I don't think anybody would buy the parts at the price I'd need to ask in order to break even plus compensation for time which I don't really have to spare. Also it's a specialized skill that I think is best left to the people who know what they're doing rather than noobs like myself.

I did finish pepping the right forearm but haven't had time to size and upload its photos for a proper update on the build. I've instead been busy modeling a Hunter shield from scratch. There are distinctive details in the game which are absent on the existing Pepakura model, and the existing model also has inaccurate proportions. I thought I'd be able to simply add the missing details to the existing file, but that turned out not being feasible due to inaccuracies in the model. So I'm currently making a new file from scratch which more accurately represents how it looks in the game. (And as I look over the other Hunter armor parts, I'm seeing they'll all need some modeling work done on them to raise their detail level up to something I can be satisfied with.)

The new Mk VI upper-arm/shoulder 2-part model is almost finished and soon you'll be seeing another amazing game-accurate highly-detailed model uploaded. I think SirPalesAlot is refraining from a teaser shot of the model until the last few details are completed.

Update with photos!

Like I mentioned earlier, the unfold was revised for antecubital details resulting in smoother curves on the front, better alignment with the forearm faces, and quicker assembly due to fewer parts:

NewForearms22.jpg

The interior details of the antecubital area are pepped onto a separate holding frame for easier hardening and finishing:

NewForearms28.jpg

The right forearm is completed and in storage until warmer weather for hardening. Here's how it turned out:

NewForearms23.jpg

NewForearms24.jpg

NewForearms25.jpg

NewForearms26.jpg

NewForearms27.jpg

Several more photos are also added to my antecubital detail build thread showing their assembly up close. The left forearm is currently getting its antecubital detail added and the elbow cap is nearly ready for attaching. Then the project gets paused while the upper-arm model is finished up and an Ultra-High Detail Hunter shield model is created.

what scale is the forearm?

It looks good. I'm glad to see one finally completed. Hopefully you have the scale on this large enough, because I'm sure you don't want to build another set of forearms after this.

No, it would not be cool if it ends up being too small after everything's completed.

It's too early yet to start a new thread for this, but here's something I drew up for modeling...

ShieldTop.jpg

Embarrassing moments during combat - breakfast burrito effects when seeing Hunters....

MasterGas.jpg

So, I finally broke down and bought some equipment for capturing High-Definition photos and video from Halo 3 onto my MacBook Pro...

MacHalo3.jpg

...and this is what I discover: A raised line which was already known and included with the UD forearm models:

NewForearms29.jpg

...and another raised line on the other side of the arm which was not noticed before:

NewForearms30.jpg

Gagh! Well, you know that will never do, having only half of the raised line details included in the model! So, the File Archive was updated this morning with new files which include this detail.

"What!? But I already pepped them!" Not a problem, so did I. If you haven't started the pep yet, or haven't glued these parts yet - simply cut out the updated parts from the archive and use them in place of the previous parts. However, if the parts have already been glued then surgery is required to add in the new detail.

First, of course, you'll need the updated parts. Separate the faces in Pepakura Designer so that you have only the faces needed for adding the detail. (This means disjoining the faces which are not needed for the refit.)

NewForearms31.jpg

Assemble them separately as a replacement part:

NewForearms32.jpg

Next, carefully remove the existing faces from the pepped model. Only remove the faces which are being replaced. It's easiest for adding the new parts if all the flaps are on the pepped forearm side of the edges instead of on the replacement parts, so remove the faces such that flaps are left behind from the existing faces. You can also peel away some of the cardstock's top layers to thin down these flaps so the replacement parts aren't lifted up as high when glued in:

NewForearms33.jpg

Lastly, glue in the replacement part and now you've got the missing detail added without rebuilding the whole model:

NewForearms34.jpg

Next update: New upper-arm/shoulder model!

Dude your work is such an inspiration, I can't wait to see all this work finished

Thanks. I get inspired by all the amazing work other people here are doing. I get pretty envious when looking at projects in the bondo stage (especially when it's looking really good). I got the actual game assets from Halo 3 for the Hunter (both armor and skin) so I should be able to get some nice models done up for my own costume. The kid's growing so fast I'm wondering now if I'll need stilts inside my boots.

Here's a preview of the next Mk VI model from SirPalesAlot and I that's currently being unfolded and will be added to the archive (again in 4 different levels of detail) when the files are ready:

UpperArmTeaser1.png

And the shoulder pad is removable for easier finishing of the upper-arm and to facilitate variant armor types:

UpperArmTeaser2.png

An upgraded hand plate model is also currently under development.

Nice! I love the model, especially the removable shoulder pad! That will come in nicely for armor variants!

Grunt_Confetti.jpg

Halo 3 Mk VI Upper-Arm files are added to the File Archive. The models feature a separated shoulder pad for easier hardening and finishing of the upper-arm, and to accommodate armor variants having no shoulder pad.

Low Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=750

Medium Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=754

High Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=757

Ultra-High Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=760

file-archive.php

I dont suppose you can post a picture of how you both accomplished the removable forearm could you? I suppose it just slides on but i dont want to export the file to move around in blender, unless you dont mind? I dont know enough blender to edit the model haha.

I dont suppose you can post a picture of how you both accomplished the removable forearm could you? I suppose it just slides on but i dont want to export the file to move around in blender, unless you dont mind? I dont know enough blender to edit the model haha.

Removable forearm? Not understanding the question. Presuming the wrist opening is wide enough, forearms just slide on after the upper-arms are donned. If you've got large hands, then you might need to modify the forearm after it's hardened.

Oh im sorry I meant shoulder piece not the forearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back