RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Yeah, I'm on my third pep of these myself and they're finally turning out okay. I'll be updating the (Cameo) unfold in the archive with a better one once I get them finished. The pep is going slowly on them because the main focus right now is getting the helmet model finished.

If it's like the rest of the files you two have cooked up it will be a beautiful piece that will probably be the ruin of me for some time lol at least untill you guys do the torso armor. SirPalesAlot's current torso is great already and I cant wait to see what you and him cook up for that. :cool

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

So my 2nd build of the handplate went alot better after I changed some parts and tabs around =D

014_zpsmybpadft.jpg

013_zpssxuaajn7.jpg

012_zpscjqypw8z.jpg

016_zpsuadt8sbc.jpg

I was really happy this time, it got a little rough on one of the lips of the rounded parts as you can see in the first picture the top layer of the cardstock seperated so I just riped it off but it will be fixed after resin and bondo
If you would like I could send you the file and see what I changed, maybe it might help with your build. Tho im sure you probably already figured it out ;)

So my 2nd build of the handplate went alot better after I changed some parts and tabs around =D

If you would like I could send you the file and see what I changed, maybe it might help with your build. Tho im sure you probably already figured it out ;)

Thanks, but I've already got the parts and flaps modified for a better build - just haven't translated it yet to the 1x scale files. (Been busy working on a helmet and helping my kid paint and build his first plastic model kit - Delorean time machine from Back To The Future.) Hate to say it, though, but it looks like you put the front divot in backwards on your second assembly. The shorter sidewalls should be in the back rather than in the front.

My build isn't dead - it's just paused temporarily while working on the helmet model with SirPalesAlot. Just wait until you folks see this thing....(gonna be quite a task unfolding it!) What you thought was Ultra-High Detail with the previous models, well, the helmet is taking that to a new level. It's got me seriously thinking about getting a 3D printer. It will still be a few weeks before enough is done for showing another preview image.

Thanks, but I've already got the parts and flaps modified for a better build - just haven't translated it yet to the 1x scale files. (Been busy working on a helmet and helping my kid paint and build his first plastic model kit - Delorean time machine from Back To The Future.) Hate to say it, though, but it looks like you put the front divot in backwards on your second assembly. The shorter sidewalls should be in the back rather than in the front.

My build isn't dead - it's just paused temporarily while working on the helmet model with SirPalesAlot. Just wait until you folks see this thing....(gonna be quite a task unfolding it!) What you thought was Ultra-High Detail with the previous models, well, the helmet is taking that to a new level. It's got me seriously thinking about getting a 3D printer. It will still be a few weeks before enough is done for showing another preview image.

what do you mean another couple of weeks for another preview image? you dont happen to have a small sniplet or something? i'm feening here. i thought i had subbed to your thread before today, but any way sub number 91

Small snippet...

HelmetTeaser2.jpg

Yeah I noticed that after I finished heh, I have already fixed it =)
Hurray for son's first plastic model, I remember mine, was a snap tite lambo, wasn't impressed with it so my next one was a F14 =D
Lately I've been eyeballing a 1/6 scale Sherman the thing is beautiful and huge and expensive lol.
If your helmet is as crazy as you say it is I might have to consider a 3d printer aswell hah.

If your helmet is as crazy as you say it is I might have to consider a 3d printer aswell hah.

It be pretty crazy....(but not as crazy as the person assembling it! lol)

9c8b5133593820e28ca22a1d0f9f2c4a7d27e2e96684787b0df393d4e2a38c20.jpg

It be pretty crazy....(but not as crazy as the person assembling it! lol)

Yeah haha, I still can't wrap my mind around the scale that your doing it in.:thumbsup

Looking at the image, any possible chance of making a file that is just the visor so it could be used to make a buck for vac forming? might be a nice touch for people that already have a helmet made and want a ultra detailed visor. :D

Looking at the image, any possible chance of making a file that is just the visor so it could be used to make a buck for vac forming? might be a nice touch for people that already have a helmet made and want a ultra detailed visor. :D

Yep, that's already the plan. And the buck models will be a little larger around the edges to provide mounting margins, and filled in on the sides so they can be filled solid. The "headlights" areas are also modeled to support lighting, with LED mounts built in to the model.

The way your talking with detail it would seem like a good idea to make a 3D compatible model. I know doing all that by hand is something I really dont want to do haha. Either way that small snippet looks great!

The way your talking with detail it would seem like a good idea to make a 3D compatible model. I know doing all that by hand is something I really dont want to do haha. Either way that small snippet looks great!

Thanks. We've been working pretty hard on this one (well, not like we weren't on the previous models - it's just that this model is the most complicated so far due to all the compound curves and absence of correct detail for referencing on existing helmet models). There aren't plans to make a 3D-printer version of the model, but SirPalesAlot has mentioned to me awhile back about making STL files for some of the helmet's smaller details, similar to what was done with the forearm.

I don't plan to make any of the files smoother than they already are. I could export the files to .STL like the antecubital detail, but they will not be nearly as smooth as that model. A lot of time is going into making the models right now, and I don't think I'll have time to properly smooth them for printing.

I have to admit, I am still a bit hesitant about putting out a 3D printable version of the model. I've seen quite a few people take credit for things that aren't theirs, and a lot of that seems to center around 3D models (at least recently). I have no intention of making castings of any of the models I'm working on, but it would hurt my feelings a little if someone printed a model I worked on and claimed it as their own. It would upset me even more so if they were selling castings of said model.

Eh, who knows, RobotChicken might be able to convince me to let a .STL version of the file go. Who knows...

I personally don't have any aspirations to have STL versions of the files. Heck, it's already enough work just getting all the details and nuances correct on these things. It was SirPalesAlot who wanted to have an STL version of the forearm's antecubital detail, not me - as I was okay with just pepping them. So if any STL work is done for the helmet, it would come from him rather than me. I'm good with just decent pep files.

I don't plan to make any of the files smoother than they already are. I could export the files to .STL like the antecubital detail, but they will not be nearly as smooth as that model. A lot of time is going into making the models right now, and I don't think I'll have time to properly smooth them for printing.
I have to admit, I am still a bit hesitant about putting out a 3D printable version of the model. I've seen quite a few people take credit for things that aren't theirs, and a lot of that seems to center around 3D models (at least recently). I have no intention of making castings of any of the models I'm working on, but it would hurt my feelings a little if someone printed a model I worked on and claimed it as their own. It would upset me even more so if they were selling castings of said model.

I personally don't have any aspirations to have STL versions of the files. Heck, it's already enough work just getting all the details and nuances correct on these things. It was SirPalesAlot who wanted to have an STL version of the forearm's antecubital detail, not me - as I was okay with just pepping them. So if any STL work is done for the helmet, it would come from him rather than me. I'm good with just decent pep files.

Yeah I understand your concerns with model stealing, Ive heard of several people who have either had their work stolen or selling stolen work, and unfortunately it happens to be 3d printing because of its ease. Granted it can be of anything really. obvioulsly it is up to you in the long run and I would rather see pepakura models or models with 3D printed details like the forearm done if nothing else since you said you wouldnt have the time to smooth a model. Either way whichever you choose I can wait to start making a suit out of your models and im glad someone else still has love for the mark 6!

Either way whichever you choose I can wait to start making a suit out of your models and im glad someone else still has love for the mark 6!

Personal preference, I just don't like the look of Halo 4 and Halo Wars armor, and Combat Evolved is too plain-looking. For me, the Halo 2 and Halo 3 armor is the most recognizable Master Chief, and lucky for me SirPalesAlot likes that armor style too.

Here is a little larger snippet - the front of the helmet is nearly completed.

HelmetTeaser3.jpg

I would love to get most of your stuff for 3D printing. Printed out some destiny stuff and started something from Halo but had some bad bed lifting on parts. I have been fooling around with your first or second release of the Forearm. getting it 3D printable is not so easy. Not planning on doing anything with it right now since I'm low on filament. Can't get the inner shell thick enough in some areas.

screen.png

I'd have to restart on it again since I noticed a mess up and al the modifiers are applied _-_,

I can stop working on this if you want

I would love to get most of your stuff for 3D printing. Printed out some destiny stuff and started something from Halo but had some bad bed lifting on parts. I have been fooling around with your first or second release of the Forearm. getting it 3D printable is not so easy. Not planning on doing anything with it right now since I'm low on filament. Can't get the inner shell thick enough in some areas.

View attachment 11255

I'd have to restart on it again since I noticed a mess up and al the modifiers are applied _-_,

Looks pretty cool. I had considered buying a 3D printer and making all my armor parts that way, but SirPalesAlot doesn't want to create STL versions of the models (for very valid reasons) and I don't know much at all about doing that kind of modeling work (like adding shell thickness and stuff). The models are more his than mine, as he does the majority of the modeling work and I do most of the critiquing and feedback (but those roles switch back and forth depending on who's modeling a particular detail). If it were up to me, I wouldn't ask you to stop working on it, but would ask that you give appropriate credit to both of us for creating the source model that you're basing your work from. SirPalesAlot may have a different attitude about this though, so I recommend checking with him too.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 11255

If you have to restart it you might as well get the newest file.

Looks pretty cool. I had considered buying a 3D printer and making all my armor parts that way, but SirPalesAlot doesn't want to create STL versions of the models (for very valid reasons) and I don't know much at all about doing that kind of modeling work (like adding shell thickness and stuff). The models are more his than mine, as he does the majority of the modeling work and I do most of the critiquing and feedback (but those roles switch back and forth depending on who's modeling a particular detail). If it were up to me, I wouldn't ask you to stop working on it, but would ask that you give appropriate credit to both of us for creating the source model that you're basing your work from. SirPalesAlot may have a different attitude about this though, so I recommend checking with him too.

I'm in the same boat on this. You can use the models to make 3D printable versions if you want, but it's not something I really want to do. If you do decide to make 3D printable versions just be sure to give credit for the source file you used.

If you have to restart it you might as well get the newest file.

I'm in the same boat on this. You can use the models to make 3D printable versions if you want, but it's not something I really want to do. If you do decide to make 3D printable versions just be sure to give credit for the source file you used.

I started on the hand plate this morning. Once I do a test print of that I'll post pics here and possibly pass the file to you to archive. that way you still get credit. I don't plan on posting it anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back