RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

ok. but come on caboose is pretty cool.

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

He wanted me to do a Caboose but, alas, no blue cardstock in the paper packs. We do have a "light red", however, to use next in the event the current "Grif" helmet ends up not being the final size yet.

Our "Grif" tester came out okay but not much room for glass and padding, and since I would prefer having some growth margin in the sizing one more has been started at a slightly larger scale.

Helmet6.jpg

Well, the "Donut" tester (aka Breast Cancer Awareness helmet) ended up being too large, but at least it narrowed the limits range and I'm much closer to an optimal helmet size. I think I've got figured out where to split the helmet so a head will fit through the small neck opening, and the next tester pep will check that out along with another sizing evaluation.

Helmet7.jpg

(Wake UP, SirPalesAlot! lol)

Here are all the helmet model preview photos again, consolidated in one post, so you can see why I want to nail the size before I start on building it. With over 500 parts, I do not want to build this more than once.

HelmetPreview1.jpg

HelmetPreview2.jpg

HelmetPreview3.jpg

HelmetPreview4.jpg

HelmetPreview5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks amazing man. And at over 500 parts I think I'll keep some motrin close by since I like to cut everything out myself.

It's looking good so far. I'm sure scaling for a child is quite difficult, so it's smart that you're doing testers before doing the actual piece. It's going to be awesome to see the high detailed version of this project finished! And I'm sure your son will never want to take it off haha.

Scaling for a child is hard because 1, his head is out of proportion with his body at this age, and 2, how much he's going to grow during an unknown period of time while the costume is being built is a blind guess. His eyes light up from seeing just the testers built. The helmet is what he's most excited about on this build, and when he sees the computer model rotating around on my screen he frequently says "it looks like you just pulled it right out from the game!" The torso will be the next piece modeled and that one will also take some time because none of the existing models have the correct shape so, like the helmet, we're starting with the original game model to get everything shaped and proportioned properly.

I believe I've got the size finally worked out for my kid's helmet. As I mentioned earlier, a Scale of 1.0 (yellow) fits him well but doesn't leave much room for padding or growth, and the neck opening is too small for getting a head through:

Helmet6.jpg

The latest tester I built at 1.02 Scale (green) and I feel is a little too large:

Helmet8.jpg

So I'm going to start building today at a 1.01 Scale, halfway between the yellow helmet and the green helmet, which should be a good balance of good fit and padding/growth allowance. The helmet still needs splitting to get the head through, but I've worked it out that only the bottom faces around the neck need to be removed, allowing for the "bucket" to remain intact as one whole piece. The lower faces aren't really visible much so that helps with keeping the seams unnoticeable. I plan to keep them attached to the helmet but hinge them so they can move aside for getting past ears.

The kid is thrilled now to have a collection of Halo helmets:

Helmet9.jpg

Next photos, build progress on the UD helmet!

I've started assembly with what I think will be the most difficult part of the helmet, hoping the rest will be easier - rebreather inserts. I've got the first rib pepped and dang these parts are tiny, like the forearm's antecubital detail:

Helmet10.jpg

So, we've agreed to release an STL file of the helmet details for those of you lucky ones out there with access to a 3D printer.

The helmet build will be starting out slowly but then hopefully picking up in November. That's because in just over 2 weeks we're off to Disneyland for a week and we've also got tickets to their annual Halloween party so I'm spending a little time putting together a couple simple costumes that my son requested. Here's a preview photo of the work in progress:

GravityFalls1.jpg

I'll still be pepping at the rebreather insert off and on but I probably won't have a lot to show for the helmet until sometime in November.

Stl release, thank the lord. Take your time on the helmet, I wouldnt want to do it twice either.

Did some one say STL! I just scored 2 spools of black ABS...... I am Itching to try this! .

Peter

That is some intense pepakura work! I'm sure all of that work involves a lot of patience.

Best of luck on the helmet!

The Silhouette Cameo thread is updated with clarification on editing cut settings, as the process is a little mis-represented in the video.

Got a little bit further on the helmet build this week, but mostly been trying to get my Grunkle Stan outfit ready for Disneyland at the end of this month. The second rib is done on the first rebreather and to accelerate things a little I've started on the other rebreather so both can be getting built at the same time. They're a little bumpy, but I'm pretty sure I can smooth them out during the sanding phase.

Helmet11.jpg

Also to keep things moving along I've started assembling the first button cover. (Button cover? You'll see what those are for later...) Keep in mind the photos are at a 1.01x helmet scale!

Helmet12.jpg

Dang that is small and no fun to work with! The first dome is nearly completed:

Helmet13.jpg

At this angle you can see better how much I'm botching up the super-tiny flaps and edges, but again I'm pretty sure I can smooth this out later:

Helmet14.jpg

I've gotten the first preview image from SirPalesAlot of very-smooth STL files for these parts and they're looking great. Some day I'm going to have to get me a 3D printer. You folks who have one are so lucky.

Rebreather_Render.png

That's all for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woah!! This whole project blew up like crazy!!! Haven't been on 405th since the entire site changed.
Great to see you're still at it RobotChicken! Seeing light at the end of the tunnel for sure!

Seeing light at the end of the tunnel for sure!

At this point any light is more likely the front of a train than the exiting of a tunnel. We just got back this weekend from over a week at Disneyland and not quite ready to immediately resume work on the helmet. There are hundreds of photos to process and video for editing, and if I wait on that then it will end up not getting done when family members want it. So at the moment Disney photos and videos are taking priority over the Halo project. Disneyland was both annoying/frustrating and amazing/magical. If we had known before going the knowledge we now have things could have been so different. The best part of it all was seeing a kid who was asking "do we have to go to Disneyland?" transform into "I wish we could stay here forever" and running after characters for autographs and photos.

JaydonAndMickey.jpg

We also got tickets to their sold-out Halloween party on the 31st and did our trick-or-treating in Disneyland. From left to right are Grunkle Stan and Dipper Pines from "Gravity Falls", and Merida from "Brave".

Halloween2015.jpg

Glad you guys had a great time there. We'll all still be here when you're ready to resume the Halo project.

Hey, I'm new around here. Really like your work! The level of detail you go to is amazing.

Disneyland is actually great haha, looks like you had a good time!

Disneyland is actually great haha, looks like you had a good time!

Depends on what context you're referring to. If it's the attractions (ignoring the ridiculous lines), atmosphere, style, characters, and overall ambiance of the park, then yes it's actually great. But in regards to the manners of people, prices, ride closures and glitches, dining options, long wait times, and absolute total absence of any souvenirs at all from certain Disney films, then Disneyland is not that great. Overall we had a great time, but we also have a list of criticisms and suggestions for submitting to the park management. (And we're never staying in a Disney hotel ever again....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back