RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

I'm also currently working on a game-accurate model of the MA5C assault rifle which will feature an assembly technique allowing for interior hardening.

Developing the file in sections, similar to how Hugh Holder's ODST helmet was produced, might work out for you here. It would be far easier to build a weapon in pieces, strut and harden them individually, and then assemble them like a jigsaw. I've tried this method myself, with limited success due to my lack of skill (at the time) with resin work.

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

L3X BLU3R1V3R did a similar model with the Reach Sniper. It still had large parts so warping was still inevitable, but if I had taken more time to support or put into it that wouldnt have happened. I would totally be interested on building a section biased weapon instead of the whole-built hollow interior model. So far I think youre modeling is far better than mine so im sure you'll do wonderfully, whether you release it or not.

Would anybody happen to have a line-art drawing of the below detail on a MA5C assault rifle? This is the reload icon on the outsides of the magazine chamber. I've got a number of extracted images from the game and the bump map, but none are absolutely clear enough to really see what all the edges look like. I'm only interested in an accurate drawing, since anything less I can easily do myself from the fuzzy images.

MA5C_symbolA.jpg

MA5C_symbolB.jpg

Here is my sketch of the detail. Do you think that's good enough? Do you see anything that could use revising? (Of course, the dimensions will be cleaned up when adding to the model.) Thanks.

MA5C_symbolC.jpg

So this is what SirPalesAlot and I came up with for the assault rifle reload symbol on the sides. I'm roughly half done with the back portion of the model.

MA5C_Reload_Symbol.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks good to me!

Looks good to me!

Thanks, that means a lot knowing how detail-minded you are. If WandererTJ says it looks good then by golly it's good. No, that's not sarcasm. You're the only one who bothered to give any feedback on how it looks, good or bad. Wait until you see it in context - I've decided I'll be uploading this model when it's finished, but there will only be a UD version (no simplified-down lower detail versions). I'll have a preview image up within a couple days of what's done so far - just waiting on SirPalesAlot to convert some of the smooth faces from my CAD program into polygon faces for Pepakura.

I actually wish I could be more help. I found an image a long time ago for the text on the bottom of the pistol (if I remember correctly, I'd have to check) and I wish I had something to share for the AR.

I can't wait to see it in context. I've been wondering how big the detail is. My guess is it's about 0.5" across.

Also, what you said means a lot to me, especially coming from someone I definitely respect and have learned from.

If you guys need any help I would be happy to assist. I dont have much skill in modeling but if you want me to unfold some parts like the non-cameo models. I understand if you wanna keep it more to yourselves and not have too many people tossed into the mix.

This is what's modeled so far on a new assault rifle model....

MA5C_Preview1.jpg

MA5C_Preview2.jpg

Every time I revisit this thread, there's something new and extremely impressive. Absolutely fantastic work.

Every time I revisit this thread, there's something new and extremely impressive. Absolutely fantastic work.

Thanks - This one I might....might....consider casting in kit form for selling replicas (help cover costs for the build) but no promises on that. The helmet model is also nearing completion, getting down to just the small raised detailing beside the back indents.

It makes so much more sense now!

Would love to see you release kits with all kinds of bells and whistles!

I hope you consider doing some of the other weapons ;)

It makes so much more sense now!

Is that sarcasm? Haha

Would love to see you release kits with all kinds of bells and whistles!

I hope you consider doing some of the other weapons ;)

I definitely have a Halo 3 Magnum pistol planned because my kid wants one of those on his thigh. Aside from that, does a Hunter plasma cannon count as a weapon...? ;)

Is that sarcasm? Haha

I definitely have a Halo 3 Magnum pistol planned because my kid wants one of those on his thigh. Aside from that, does a Hunter plasma cannon count as a weapon...? ;)

Not at all!, that's the first time I had seen your image of the small detail on the butt of the AR.

Wait... so I'm not the only one who want to carry around a severed Hunter arm? ;)

Oh, I thought you were referring to the reload symbol on the side which you'd already seen and should be quite obvious where on the rifle it went. The Marathon logo will be another challenging pep - gotta have something difficult somewhere on every model, no? :)

Severed arm? Uh, no if you look back far enough in this thread you'll see clues to a second costume I plan to build (wife permitting...) and it will be large. I actually got the idea and had started on the modeling before somebody else beat me to it, but since their's is Halo 4 mine might still be the first high-detail Halo 3 version.

What up RoboC. Was wanting to get your opinion on something. Do you think its worth purchasing the trial version of Epoxamite? Or, do you think I should purchase the 1 gallon, if I'm going to be resining a whole suit of armor?

What up RoboC. Was wanting to get your opinion on something. Do you think its worth purchasing the trial version of Epoxamite? Or, do you think I should purchase the 1 gallon, if I'm going to be resining a whole suit of armor?

I felt the trial size would not have been enough and I wasn't concerned about having extra since I'll be using it also for weapons and a second larger costume for myself. In fact, the 2 gallons I have might not be enough for all I'm planning to build. If you're just wanting to try it out to see whether you like it then probably get the trial size, but if you're intending to use it for a whole suit then I'd go with the full gallon. I haven't resined enough yet to use it up for knowing how far the one gallon will go.

Edit: Also, spend the extra $13 for dye. It makes it so much easier to see where resin has been applied, especially on the larger parts where you need to spread the resin application across multiple days doing one section at a time to prevent warping. The epoxy resin is clear rather than yellow-tinted like polyester resin, so it can be difficult to see what's not resined yet. You can feel the difference by touch between resined and non-resined cardstock (after drying, of course), but with gloves on they both feel the same so you'll be relying on just visual difference.

Then the GALLON it is. Birthday coming up on the 10th of August. With the 1 gallon, and the pumps for it that's a hundred dollars for those two items. Even though we have the money, wife might be kinda of funny about getting purchasing extra stuff. We are saving to get us our own place. Because I'm thinking about purchasing some materials to build a cage, or a box that would be big enough to fit a pepped torso in it. Then maybe add some type of netting, or screening that you find on a screened door. After applying the resin to pepped parts, I want the parts to be free from outside elements during the curing process. Like bugs, dust, etc. For now I will be using a Motorcycle pressure suit for my under armor. But, eventually if I could have, or if someone would be willing to clean up the whole halo 4 undersuit obj. file. I would definitely be crazy enough to pep the whole undersuit. From there add extra details to it then I'll look into maybe doing a mold, and cast in rubber, or silicone. Which I know would be expensive, but that wouldn't be anytime soon. And thanks for your opinion, very much appreciated!

Very small bugs like gnats will easily fit through window screen, and they are just way too curious about what you're doing. "Hey look, a human is doing resin work - let's go see! Oh crap, this stuff is sticky....I can't get off it!" Stupid bugs. I wasn't too concerned with the resin because alas there is sandpaper and the parts will be smoothed out before painting. But painting - that will be done in a booth to keep bugs and dust off while drying.

Very small bugs like gnats will easily fit through window screen, and they are just way too curious about what you're doing. "Hey look, a human is doing resin work - let's go see! Oh crap, this stuff is sticky....I can't get off it!" Stupid bugs. I wasn't too concerned with the resin because alas there is sandpaper and the parts will be smoothed out before painting. But painting - that will be done in a booth to keep bugs and dust off while drying.

Lol, your right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back