RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Depends on what context you're referring to. If it's the attractions (ignoring the ridiculous lines), atmosphere, style, characters, and overall ambiance of the park, then yes it's actually great. But in regards to the manners of people, prices, ride closures and glitches, dining options, long wait times, and absolute total absence of any souvenirs at all from certain Disney films, then Disneyland is not that great. Overall we had a great time, but we also have a list of criticisms and suggestions for submitting to the park management. (And we're never staying in a Disney hotel ever again....)

That's fair enough. Yeah the lines can be a bit ridiculous, and we had a few technical glitches whilst there. But overall it was still a really good time. Particually enjoyed the closing show with fireworks and such :p

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Sorry about the lack of updates lately. Been going through some personal issues (and happy to say slowly getting them resolved). The big project right now is a total living room makeover in our house, including new paint, carpet, furniture, electronics, the whole works. (Gonna be sweet playing Halo on a large 4K TV with home theater sound system!) The whole thing's being done in 2 weeks by my wife and myself. On the side I've still been working on the helmet files for getting them uploaded to the archive before I complete my own helmet build, and since there isn't much to show in the way of photos for this type of work there hasn't really been anything to post an update about.

Glad to hear! Welcome back.

Glad to hear all is ..........getting resolved. Slow is better than not at all.

My wife (and myself) got me an early Christmas present because it was on sale and she knew I was looking into these for quite a while - a 3D printer! So 'tis the end of me pepping insanely small detail parts. Oh, I'll still be doing insanely small parts on the main armor pieces, but at least the "difficult" areas won't be quite so difficult anymore.

I like to know what 3D printer you got. Getting into 3D printing is just as hag as that cameo. Get it printing perfect on one thing then going to crap on the next is very costly. Not to mention to amount of snagging you might get which will shift the print bed causing you to stop the print and restart. I'm at this point where I cant think of anything I want make. to many things I want to print out but no time to stay to get it going.

It's a Dremel Idea Builder. I haven't had any issues with the Cameo except the normal stuff like paper not sticking well enough to an old mat (get a new mat) or paper pulling at corners with an old blade (get a new blade). Registration marks can be tricky sometimes, but I never use them and just regular cutting works fine. The Dremel printer supposedly is a very quick setup, like you can be printing within 5 minutes of unpacking it - but mine isn't here yet (had to be ordered because it was out of stock due to being on sale). I'm looking forward to 3D printing the helmet light covers instead of vacuum-forming them. And those rebreathers, most definitely are now not going to be pepped.

Once you get it, you should have at least 2 inch blue painters tape and some rubbing alcohol. This will make the print stick to the print bed much better than a plain surface.

IMO you could have saved about $400 by getting a Printrbot Play which is $399 +ship/tax. It only has a 4x4x4 build volume. A few years ago I got one from them that was all wood for about the same price. first thing i did was print out upgrades for it making it go from 4x4x4 to somewhere around 18x12x12. The filament is the most costly thing you need to watch for.

Thanks. Reviews I've watched for the Idea Builder show a mat provided by Dremel for applying to the bed, so that part shouldn't be an issue. I would question how well a $400 printer performs and how long it lasts (you know, "you get what you pay for"). The Idea Builder has 100um resolution and all the reviews I've read/watched about it say it's a great printer so I'm feeling good about the purchase. Its print volume is roughly 9x5x5, which is plenty big enough for armor detail parts. I'll probably also 3D print the assault rifle model I'm making instead of pepping it.

It's finally here....

3D%20Printer_zps0moahxiz.jpg

...and Google has overhauled their photo hosting "service" such that it now sucks awfully so I get to find myself a new place for uploading photos to.

Translucent white PLA filament (for helmet light covers) and black PLA filament (for rebreather inserts) arrived today. Had to start over with unfolding some of the helmet files due to issues with the models. I was hoping to get files uploaded by Christmas, but doesn't look like that's going to happen. Should be relatively soon though. I do still want to test out the helmet's STL files and verify the unfold in Silhouette Studio before releasing them.

Got me a trial size of Epoxamite with the pumps. Was wondering if its a good idea to leave them on the bottles once they are there. Also, when using the pumps, should I press the pump all the way down? They say its calculated just right to give you the anount needed. At any point when using them, did you encounter any problems?

Got me a trial size of Epoxamite with the pumps. Was wondering if its a good idea to leave them on the bottles once they are there. Also, when using the pumps, should I press the pump all the way down? They say its calculated just right to give you the anount needed. At any point when using them, did you encounter any problems?

The pumps come with instructions. You must press the pump all the way down to get the correct portion amount. You also need to prime them (bleed the air out) before starting your portion. I do this by pressing slowly on the pump until I can feel the resin is just about to come out, then reset the pump handle back to the top for getting a full portion. If you're off slightly on the portion amount the resin will still harden. I leave my pumps on the bottles because I feel it will waste too much resin removing them and cleaning them each time, since I can go many months between resin sessions. To keep resin from crystalizing in the nozzle I seal it up with a small piece of duct tape. I have not encountered any problems at all using the pumps, but now that I'm more experienced with the Epoxamite I feel in hindsight they're overkill and it's probably less messy (the pumps drip) and less wasteful (they don't completely drain a bottle, and what to do with all the resin on the pump when a bottle is empty?) than simply measuring out the ratios using graduated cups so I probably won't continue using mine after I use up my opened gallons of resin.

Haven't got a chance to use it yet. But, I sure will keep that in mind. Thanks for the info.

Helmet parts were cut out tonight - 200 parts in less than an hour with the Cameo. I'll get pics started after enough is built for the subassemblies to be recognizable. I'll also be unboxing my 3D printer sometime this week so it can start working on the detail parts while I'm gluing cardstock. If anybody ends up actually pepping those things I'd love to see how they turned out. I don't think the printer will be difficult to set up - most people are printing within 5 minutes after unboxing. I'm just unsure yet about which software I'll be using and how to configure the models for printing (wall thickness, fill density, etc) since I've never done anything like that before. You should have seen the look on my kid's face when I said "at least all the 3D printing learning and mistakes will be on Master Chief so I'll know what I'm doing when I get to the Hunter..." :lol

Here are the first photos of my helmet build. (I'm not counting the detail parts since I've decided to 3D print those instead of pep them.) This is how the helmet's top is turning out:

Helmet15_zps3qovnans.jpg

Helmet16_zpsa4gfclg7.jpg

Additionally I've started on the upper front indent areas and the back detail:

Helmet17_zpsmihabej2.jpg

The 3D printer is out of the box, but the kid needs to go see Star Wars today so printing tests won't start up until tonight or tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing the finished pep of the helm!

I've updated my posts in the File Archive to remove redundant file uploads. I realized it wasn't necessary to have the Size Tester models and their preview images duplicated in the MD, HD, and UD versions of the same model, so I replaced them with links to their LD uploads in the descriptions for occupying less space on the server. The actual PDO files for the uploaded models haven't changed. This practice of eliminating redundancy will be more significant with the quantity of files to be uploaded for the helmet models.

Small update, lots of photos. This week has been spent working out helmet 3D printer files with SirPalesAlot and they're almost all ready, then upload time.

I mentioned in an earlier post about a different way of assembling Pepakura models. Here's a link to the YouTube video where I discovered this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKzYY2kHIhk. I don't know if he personally came up with this technique, but I'm giving him credit for at least introducing the idea to me.

Basically, instead of gluing a flap under its adjacent face, flaps are glued under both faces along an edge. This eliminates the "step" which occurs due to cardstock thickness. On larger models this might not be much of an issue, but with smaller features the height difference can impact the model's shape, and in either case means more finishing time. Personally, I believe paper to be easier to work with than sanding hardened resin and Bondo. "Hard" edges aren't affected by this because an angle exists there anyway. It's only areas on the model that are meant to be smooth where this can help reduce the effort needed later during finishing. Since I don't care to be spending a lot of time manually cutting out flaps, here's how I have the Cameo do it for me...

First I modify the flaps in Pepakura Designer along edges that I want to be smooth on the assembled model. This is done by changing the flap shape, making it wide enough to glue on both sides of the seam and having 90-degree angles. Also, since I don't pep with Edge IDs and some flaps will now be completely separated from their parts, I increase the "Hide almost flat folding lines" threshold so reference lines are present on the parts to mark where the flaps should align.

Helmet18_zpspnnfe1ft.jpg

Helmet19_zpsh6mmpn05.jpg

Next, after the data is imported to Silhouette Studio, I change the line color of fold lines along the flaps to be removed so they become cut lines. (This can often mean splitting the line due to part of it needing to remain a fold line.)

Helmet20_zpskae7qoru.jpg

After the parts are cut out, you end up with separated flaps along the edges that are to have flaps glued on both sides rather than just one side:

Helmet21_zpscdwkxtze.jpg

From the video link above I was also introduced to a different glue which I'm liking much better than Elmer's because it sets up faster, meaning less wait time while assembling parts. It's Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue and stays wet long enough to align parts (unlike super glue) but sets up very quickly (unlike regular white glue). Flaps are glued along one side of a seam, then the next part is glued at the same elevation because both parts rest on a flap instead of just one part:

Helmet22_zpsgobbsr0a.jpg

Helmet23_zpsxlvdgiqq.jpg

The photos maybe don't show it well, but trust me - the edges are WAY smoother than when gluing a flap under only one side of a seam. It takes about the same amount of time during assembly as the "regular" way, and the time spent preparing the files is certainly less time (and easier work) than filling and sanding with Bondo later on. Here flaps glued under both sides is on the left and flaps glued under just one side is on the right (hopefully you can notice the difference):

Helmet24_zpsmurbo4f1.jpg

Now the real exciting thing I did this weekend was start playing around with my new Dremel Idea Builder 3D printer. It ended up taking me several prints to figure out the settings for acceptable results. My test subject was a helmet light cover dome using translucent filament. I wanted these hollow for better light transmission, less filament usage, and less weight of finished parts, so I used a 0% infill (interior fill density). 3D printing uses a concept called "shells" for setting the outer wall thickness. I had no idea how thick 1 shell is so I started out with a setting of 1. That ended up with the dome's top falling through due to not enough support material inside. Subsequent prints with incremental shells count also yielded a small hole at the dome's top. It wasn't until 5 shells that I got a good print but there was still thickness unevenness at the center so I went up to 6 shells and that's what I think I'll use for my build. With 1 shell the print took about 5 minutes, with 6 shells it took 17 minutes - still much faster than pepping, finishing, and vacuum forming. (By the way, none of the prints in these photos are "smoothed" yet from an acetone wash or sanding - these are the raw prints as they come off the printer.)

Helmet25_zpskdcdlsml.jpg

Helmet26_zpsiuic0int.jpg

Helmet27_zpscpo8jzcr.jpg

With an infill of 0% the bottom first layers end up being very thin and nearly perforated around the interior edge, which makes them very easily removed to yield the hollow lens cap I was looking for (yes, that's one of the domes with a defect hole on the right side):

Helmet28_zpsp17h5puy.jpg

But hey, RobotChicken, how do they look lit up? Quite awesome....

Helmet29_zpsh3whapr3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back