RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Ya, I totally understand on the cold rainy bad camping trip, I like my warm house too much to be doing that. Good luck on the boy scout advancement and tell your son congratulations.

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Big news today in Boise, Idaho for us KISS fans!! 2016 KISS tour starts right here in this city July 7th!! We're so getting tickets when they go on sale next week!!

I KNOW, RIGHT!!! The wife and I are so going to be there!

I'm on the verge of a significant build decision for this project. It's been 3 years since starting on it and I didn't expect it to take this long. On one hand the time was well-spent because SirPalesAlot and I have created what I think are some really good Master Chief models. On the other hand, it takes a LOT of time to glue all the little flaps and that's a hands-on non-multi-tasking job eating up a ton of time that I'd rather be using on other things. Meanwhile, a 3D printer sits idle in the craft room. Lightbulb.... It takes less time to smooth out a Pepakura model than it takes to assemble it, resin it, glass it, and smooth it, and 3D printing is not a hands-on task - I can be doing other things while a model is printing. So, I decided to start small as I learn a little bit more about 3D printing and rebuilt the UD hand plate model to smooth out all the curves and turn it into a .stl file:

HandPlateSTL_zpstdg2hhnd.png

If it prints well then I will be seriously reconsidering 3D printed parts versus resined cardstock. This has nothing to do with the detail level of the pepped models - I've already proven they can be built and resined without any loss of detail. It's strictly a matter of time resources. I will post pictures after the hand plate is printed.

Lol, I can pep the handplates and knuckles for my build. But I've really considered just getting them 3d printed. Heck my next suit of armor may just be Eva foam. I agree, it does take alot of time. Opportunity ever presents itself, I'll be getting me a printer also! Good luck, can't wait to see how it comes out!

Wow. That's quite a step and considering how you've been at it, taking such a decission can't be taken that lightly.
But considering what kind of quality you've putting out there, anyone with just a slight interest in 3D printing will jump for joy.

But yeah, a lot of people will argue 3D printing takes out the joy of creating cosplay stuff and I understand that viewpoint.
But I think it _shifts_ the joy to another kind (very carefully avoiding "level" here) of activity. And your productivity time goes up like crazy, as you do other stuff (not neceserally designing stuff but just everyday stuff which you would NOT do if you'd be pepping/resin-ing/glueing .... like actually getting some sleep or playing games with the kids or whatever) while the 3D printer is crunching out parts unattended.

Which is odd : differently than you, most people come that realisation first, and then go out and get a printer. :D

I for one can only applaude this, and I'm exited to see such a talented person going the direction which I think is the way to go.

PS : and playing advocate for the devil maybe : In light of the recent "search for a uniform quality" discussion for the 405th to be "taken more seriously" (not really sure I like the way this is going, because I'd really hate this place to turn into a second 501th), such a decission may very well be a part of the solution for a lot of people, not only for those who actually OWN a 3D printer.
As all the more people get one of these machines, I could even propose a "free service for 405th'ers" who're looking for 3D printed stuff where the only thing they'd have to pay is the pure price of the filament and the transport costs of the pieces, accomodated by those of use who do have a 3D printer handy. That way, nobody is left out.
I for one would have no problems printing out stuff for other 405th'ers if they'd ask for it if the 405th would see fit to get enought 3Dprinter owners to join in.

Thanks guys. I haven't committed one way or the other yet. It took only a couple hours to convert the hand plate, but I expect models with more curves (like the helmet) would take more time. Yet, I do believe that time is still substantially less than pepping, resining, glassing, sanding, etc. Kids grow up only once and there are no re-dos, plus I have other projects that have been patiently waiting for me to get to. I will probably go the 3D printing route but still have a few things to learn how to do before printing the first part. At the moment I'm struggling with how to add supports. The Dremel software does not do this, so I've been exploring other options such as Meshmixer. I also discovered a few derped faces on the hand plate model that I need to go back and clean up. But alas, today is a yard work day again. :(

... "today is a yard work day again". I suppose you mean your OWN yard yes ?
If so, I solved that years ago with the MIsses : "everything on that side of the border is grass and that's my problem, the other side is yours to take care off".
Little did she know that after 15 years of cementing that rule, I could get away with a robot mower. :D :D :D

We have almost no grass. It's all Scotch Moss ground cover and an oriental garden. The misses is sanding and stripping furniture for refinishing (a deal she agreed to when buying it at a garage sale). I'd rather be in the garden than doing that. :)

So, I was wondering. Have you discontinued using the pumps for the Epoxamite Resin? The reason I'm asking is because I plan to stop using them. Pumps probably need to be cleaned out. Doesn't feel like the resin is having the same strength as used to when fully cured. I don't have any acetone to clean them. So I thought maybe I could do a mixed ratio by volume. Also, there is the option of getting the proper amounts by weight. But, I do not have a scale that I can use for weighing.

Is there a tutorial/video describing how to do this? I mean obviously they're always gonna be more volume for the resin and less with the hardener. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I haven't done any resin since last summer. When the pumps run dry I probably will not transfer them to the new jugs.

I haven't done any resin since last summer. When the pumps run dry I probably will not transfer them to the new jugs.

Well I've noticed that recently that even though its curing properly, the parts that got resined aren't as rigid as previous parts. My only conclusion I can come to is that the hardener is not getting properly dispensed.(or not enough) I think I'm gonna take the pumps off tonight. I might sitll use them if I can clean them up. In the meantime I might just do a mixed ratio.

MadGrip has come out with a new glove that I think would look great with a Spartan hand plate on the back, and they're only $15.

http://madgriptech.com/shop/impact-thunderdome1/

Sadly, they don't come in small or extra-small, dang it. My kid tried on the medium size at a local store and they're too big. :cry

Greetings 405th

In case there weren't enough Mark VI build threads on the 405th, I thought I'd add one of my own for the possibility of contributing something back to this community. First off, I should say that I'm not associated at all with the television show "Robot Chicken". I simply think the show is hilarious (like "The Big Bang Theory") and decided on the screen name to express cybernetic cowardice, or being a fan of the show, or whatever. :D I've been a member for a month now quietly (mostly) reading relevant "stickies", watched the orientation video, and bookmarked several WIP threads which inspire me. (It's astounding how many "can I use copy paper and tape for my costume?" posts there are.) Now for a short backstory...

This build is for my 8 yr old son (9 next month) who is currently 51" (130cm) tall and for some unexplainable reason loves Halo. Why unexplainable? He's never played the game! (Neither have I - we own a Wii and PS3, but no Xbox). Yet through Mega Bloks toys, action figures, and YouTube videos he's decided to build a Master Chief costume out of scrap cardboard and markers. Then we happened across the Halo armor edition of Backyard FX and learned of Pepakura. That lead to discovering the 405th Infantry Division and the incredible work many people here are doing. Appearing to be a simple project (isn't naivety great?), and having built a number of high-detail costumes in the past, I decided to apply my perfectionist traits towards seeing how well I can do at Halo armor. We're (okay, I'm) building Master Chief from Halo 3, and I can honestly say I know very little about Halo. Just last month I could not have told you what Mjolnir armor was. However, I have done lot's of papercraft projects, worked with resin and Bondo, know about electronics (I'm a CAD engineer for a memory chip company) so let's get this journey started....

I thought I'd start this first post out by presenting the work area and reference material (aside from Google Images, of course). The first photo is one of 3 workstations in our craft room. To the left of it is a sewing desk which includes a Serger, and to the right is a large multi-level computer desk. (That's a lightbox installed into the countertop in the corner, and the Cricut Expression has been replaced by a Silhouette Cameo.)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAA4/8VrQPF5mDEs/w800-h600-no/CraftDesk.jpg

For excellent photo references, I highly recommend the Halo Encyclopedia - The Definitive Guide To The Halo Universe for its many photos and details:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...EY/_l0vaaj1fXM/w486-h622-no/Encyclopedia1.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...Eo/ujiyAVuAwpw/w800-h600-no/Encyclopedia2.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...Eg/PVYiPpdOWYU/w800-h600-no/Encyclopedia3.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...Fk/nlljFfWnSDs/w767-h575-no/Encyclopedia4.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...E0/YIc-9b8FH8A/w800-h600-no/Encyclopedia5.jpg

I've also been referring to my son's 13" (33cm) Spartan action figure, as in many areas it's more detailed than the High Detail pep files:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AGQ/9-HyMaaD93I/w800-h600-no/ActionFigure.png

I have no official deadline for completing this project, aside from the fact that kids grow and armor doesn't. I don't want to rush the build and have it turn out less than it could have been, while at the same time needing to remember it will need to fit my son when it's completed (all the pieces are being sized slightly large for growing room). Sadly, this build is destined for eBay at some point since it's inevitable to be outgrown. Updates will be posted when enough progress is made to warrant them.

Spartan height as of January 17, 2015 has increased to 54" and in case anybody's interested, sizing for this build using UD models from the File Archive is:

Upper-Arm: H=308, W=166, D=152, S=0.919697
Forearm: H=280, W=155, D=124, S=0.920898
Hand Plate: H=30, W=94, D=110, S=0.887287
Do you have the pepakura files for this?

Already, it's been pretty quiet here lately, but that's because out in the real world there have been a number of higher-priority projects requiring my time. Now that they're slowly dropping off I've got something to show you. With SirPalesAlot's help we've been able to produce a hand plate model that's good enough for printing. Here's how it looks in Meshmixer:

HandPlate15_zpsyfk7vuiq.png

I've come up with what I think is a pretty clever idea for printing this and the filament to test that out is due here before the weekend. I won't be uploading the model to the File Archive until after I've printed it, which might happen on the weekend but I need to get some work done on the cod model that I haven't been able to get to for a few weeks.

The next photos I post should be pretty cool....

Hand plate is printing, within 18 hours I'll know whether I'm continuing with Pepakura or 3D printing the parts. So exciting......

Update: Printing is aborted due to bug or design flaw in Simplify3D slicing algorithm. Regardless of process settings, there are always 3 blank layers under the part causing it to droop instead of properly having the part physically touch the build platform, raft, or support structure. Waiting now for a response from their technical support.

screenshot.png

I am working on 3d printing your files myself. I had some issues printing the handplates in one piece, so I just split them in half and glued them back together. It's nice to have flat bottoms, no need for supports at all!

Yes, I had that thought too, but I was opposed to splitting such a small model and having to glue the two halves back together. I successfully printed the hand plate as one piece last night - the trick was how the model is oriented and where supports are positioned. After reviewing the first good print (yeah, there was a not-so-good one prior) I tweaked the support placement a little for cleaning up some edges and another one is on the machine right now and looking perfect (so far anyways - damn, I probably just jinxed it). If the current print ends up looking better than yesterday's (I'll know in the morning - it's going to print through the night tonight) then I'll probably print another one before posting photos and uploading the model to the File Archive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back