RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

That is a great technique i think i might have to try it. That final print nailed it i need to start working on getting our printer set up

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

HelmetRelease_zpsukjlcp1s.png

file-archive.php

Low Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=1209

Medium Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=1210

High Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=1211

Ultra-High Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=1212

Niiiiiice. Perfect material to test the A&O's of the 3D printer I'm building. :D
Thank you for your awesome work.

Your work is always impressive.

Thanks. It took SirPalesAlot and myself almost a year to make this helmet model because of all the weird compound curves and detailing. We're both pleased with how well it turned out, but it's taking a bit of time gluing all the flaps (there are over 1,000 flaps in the UD version I'm building). We've decided to skip the torso for now because it also has a lot of compound curved surfaces and details, and after the helmet project we're wanting something a little easier so the next model to be uploaded will be a fish....er, I mean, cod. :lol

Upper-left back quarter is finished. A little bumpy in some spots, but nothing that shouldn't clean up later.

Helmet30_zpsnfopzhqv.jpg

Man, your good! Thanks for the helmet down load, it's beautiful. I am going to give it a go in blender and see if I can get it print ready. Because there is no way I have the patience to do that kind of pepakura work. Keep up the good work!

Man, your good! Thanks for the helmet down load, it's beautiful. I am going to give it a go in blender and see if I can get it print ready. Because there is no way I have the patience to do that kind of pepakura work. Keep up the good work!

I currently have it smoothed out and everything. The hard part for me is to get a second wall for thickness for it so it can be cut up for printing.

I currently have it smoothed out and everything. The hard part for me is to get a second wall for thickness for it so it can be cut up for printing.

If I had a print-ready version of this model I'd be so tempted to 3D print the whole thing rather than pep it.

If I had a print-ready version of this model I'd be so tempted to 3D print the whole thing rather than pep it.

Well take the pep file in blender and add an addition layer of faces to the inside out the model that's smaller the model it self to give it some thickness for 3D printing. You do that and send it to someone who can smooth it out for printing and your printer will be on fire for the next week.

This week has been spent assembling the brim's topside details, which took two tries to get something usable. It's still going to need some cleanup work after hardening, but overall I'm satisfied with how it turned out:

Helmet31_zpsleorzljc.jpg

I also decided to rebuild the curved topside area. Here is the original assembly where I was gluing flaps on just one side of a seam:

Helmet32_zpscy58ttgq.jpg

And here is the same area now with the flaps glued on both sides of a seam:

Helmet33_zpsqbwyohdj.jpg

As you can see, much smoother. Working now on finishing up this side and the other side, then I'll start on the brim's underside which will help this thing hold its shape better.

I am at an utter loss for words..... I have seen some of your other UD models in the past when I first started doing Pepakura but I didn't realize that you were still actively working on new models. I recently built this helmet using Flyin_Squirl's model and It turned out alright for my first ever attempt at resin and Bondo. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46510 However I wasn't satisfied with the amount of detail in the base model and Im not quite skilled enough to add the detail myself. This is literally exactly what I wanted and now here it is. I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to learn to use blender so that I could create my own models to get what I needed and just realized that you put this helmet up. I thinks its time to change gears again and get back to pepping. Thanks to both of you for the incredible work.

Thanks - we're making the models that we wish were in the Archive but are not. Paper is easier to work with than resin and Bondo, so any detailing that can get done in the Pepakura stage is just that much less work to do later during finishing. While I'm pepping the helmet, SirPalesAlot is starting on the cod model. I snapped over 50 reference photos this weekend, and the funniest part of it was seeing an 11 yr old's reaction to dad zooming in and taking a lot of screen shots of Master Chief's "private" area. Well, some attention to the, ah, masculinity is needed in order to get the missing details added in. :D

I looked at your helmet build and I'd say it looks as good as many others here that I've seen and I hope mine turns out at least half as well as the helmets people have finished. For casting your visor, you might look into the buck models we've made for making a visor. There are pep versions with the HD helmet and 3D printer versions with the UD helmet. I am eager to 3D print the helmet parts, but I think it would be wise for me to finish the pep first so I can be sure on the sizing.

Yea I saw all the extras included in the pack. you seriously just did everything that I have been trying to figure out how to do for the past month and pretty much solved most of my building problems in one fell swoop. Can't tell you how appreciative of these I am. Starting the prep work to make this helmet now.

Man just when I think I am getting tired of cutting and gluing paper together, seeing this makes me feel like I have nothing to complain about! Your pep work is amazing! The detail is beautiful, and quality is outstanding. You're like the Yoda of pepakura, and I am blown away every time you post new pictures.

Pepakura perfectionist O_O
Wow.

A side project has moved up in front of everything else for the next couple of weeks - Pinewood Derby for scouts! We've got about 3 weeks until race day, and we've decided to build something that maybe won't win (but hey, maybe it will...) but hopefully ends up looking pretty cool.

First the basic shape was cut out:

PinewoodDerby1_zpsen2bg0bc.jpg

Then starts the tedious task of filing and sanding into shape (those of you at the Bondo stage of your armor know all about that):

PinewoodDerby2_zpsyw3ufimo.jpg

Next I cut out a number of small blocks and cylinders from poplar stock while my son painted the wheel details.

PinewoodDerby3_zpsl2kz7een.jpg

I also found a use for one of the bad 3D printed helmet light covers. This here is just a dry fit for planning the parts arrangement:

PinewoodDerby4_zps2e8jdlyw.jpg

I've got more "greeblies" to cut out tomorrow night and hope to start getting primer on all these parts before the weekend. Already we're getting excited about how it's looking.

Hmmmm, looks to be a Delorean from Back to the Future.

OMG I love it! I did 3 derbies with my oldest son. A Ferrari Enzo, a formula 1, and a Chinese dragon. It was so much fun. The funny part was that all the time and thought we put into the cars for speed, the dragon smoked them all. Good luck on race day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back