RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Out of curiousity, what is the next piece of equipment you will be working on for the ULTRA-HIGH DETAIL version? so far you have both arms done (Forearm, bicep/shoulder, and the recent handplate). Will you be attacking the chestplate ? hehe I'm curious because I'm hoping that I don't outrun you and get to a point where I have to wait for the next piece to be done before starting (no pressure haha, I have to restart everything anyways with the ajusted measurments)

Already under development is a game-accurate helmet file. Take your time on the pep because the next model is going to take a little while.

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Rage-quiting is for Weak minds... Although this part is the hardest/gayest EVER:

20150123_001536_zps07afaf14.jpg

His is adult-sized. I made child-sized ones for my build. Now that was small.

My parts going to start becoming colorized. Our local Craft Warehouse had 12"x12" colored cardstock packs on sale for only $5 each, and since I'm not printing anything for my parts it doesn't really matter what color the paper is. They didn't have plain white, just rainbow packs, but with the larger paper I can get more parts on each page and use the full Cameo cutting mat instead of just a letter-sized area. Work slowly progresses on the helmet model.

Your work looks outstanding! I have, very quickly, skimmed through this thread and i am VERY impressed! I want my armor to look spot on, like yourself, and the UD files will defiantly allow this to happen. So thanks a lot for the UD files so far :) as i do not have the knowledge or experience to do this myself.
Will you be doing UD weapons also?

Your work looks outstanding! I have, very quickly, skimmed through this thread and i am VERY impressed! I want my armor to look spot on, like yourself, and the UD files will defiantly allow this to happen. So thanks a lot for the UD files so far :) as i do not have the knowledge or experience to do this myself.
Will you be doing UD weapons also?

Thanks. I haven't decided yet on weapons. I know I'll be either making or buying both a UNSC pistol and assault rifle, and I have files downloaded for grenades, plasma pistol and rifle, and Guilty Spark (it would be fun having this hover around above us lighted and suspended by fishing line). I doubt SirPalesAlot will be interesting in doing weapons after completing the Mk VI overhaul, especially with so many other really good 3D-printed "kit" versions already available for sale. If time runs out on me I might end up just installing electronics which I've already bought into one of those instead of building from scratch. Too soon to know just yet.

I've updated the Cameo unfolds for HD and UD hand plates in the File Archive with revisions I've made while assembling them for my build. The part counts are the same, just revisions to the unfolding and flap placements for better assembly. And for the helmet, well wait until you see the details being put on this baby....

I can't wait to see your helmet! From what I've seen of the other bits its going to be friggin amazing XD
I can appreciate how much work goes into making UD so wouldn't be surprised if you skipped the weapons!
Yeah, having the monitor floating would be amazing!! But man, that's gonna take a while to upgrade, let alone build.
Would totally be worth it though

Top of the helmet model is far enough along now to give you a glimpse of how it's looking. Other views have too much work-in-progress at the moment so no pictures until they're presentable. Every area of the helmet is being detailed as close as practical to match how it looks in the game.

HelmetTeaser1.jpg

I look forward to seeing more updates!!

Thanks, they're coming. Nearly done pepping hand plates take 3 and then I'll upload photos. The helmet model's taking a lot of time and SirPalesAlot and I are working on it every day. It's looking beautiful.

That may turn out to be my starting point on this project.. well maybe. I'll have to see if I can have the time after PAX East.

Question for people with more resin experience than me: what does polyester resin (fiberglassing resin) not stick to? I would like to start using a reusable container for resin rather than disposable cups. Surely there's a container material that this stuff won't adhere to...?

Question for people with more resin experience than me: what does polyester resin (fiberglassing resin) not stick to? I would like to start using a reusable container for resin rather than disposable cups. Surely there's a container material that this stuff won't adhere to...?

I would try Silicone, nothing sticks to that stuff!

Most cans of resin come with a plastic cover on top. Resin usually doesn't stick to that. Any plastic that is close to that should do the job. I actually have a few of those caps. I have a line drawn on each one for measuring out an once at a time. I rotate between caps, and the resin pulls out easily after it has cured.

Thanks, I'll try the container cap when the weather warms up a little more.

Any pot-like container should do the trick - I use an old bleach tablet tub myself, once any excess has cured it's fairly easy to crack and pull out without damaging the container itself. Truth be told, that should be applicable to any plastic container - fibreglass resin is sticky when in fluid form, but it'll solidify quite well and then crack off like dry paint.

I "make" my own little cups by pressing a piece of aluminum foil into a muffin tin, then just throw out the piece of foil when I'm done. I always work in 1-2oz. batches as it gets decently hot here, and I hate wasting supplies. As for measuring, since I do work in small batches, I use a pyrex shot glass with measurements printed on the side, and just wipe it out with a rag that's got a touch of acetone on it followed by a rinse with water when I'm done for the day.

...then just throw out the piece of foil when I'm done....and I hate wasting supplies.

Thanks, but that rather defeats the purpose of a reusable container (eliminating waste). I'll still go with the resin cap because it comes included with the resin.

I made an atempt at you UD handplate was a wonderful build not too challenging =D

159_zpsn0gexnwf.jpg

165_zpsvk1ajkig.jpg

167_zpsrsfocpml.jpg

168_zpsygs553tf.jpg

Its not my best pep but for a first shot at this model i feel i did alright, I might tweak some tabs and some of the parts to fit my build style. (I hope you dont mind)
I think im going to have to build these a few times to get it right.
Thanks alot RobotChicken and SirPalesAlot for these crazy detailed files.

Yeah, I'm on my third pep of these myself and they're finally turning out okay. I'll be updating the (Cameo) unfold in the archive with a better one once I get them finished. The pep is going slowly on them because the main focus right now is getting the helmet model finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back