Halo 4 Orbital Armor build [first time + WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at an upholstery shop and 1/2 inch foam will work good for the undersuit, but the one inch may be too bulky depending on the look you are going for and depending if got a lower density upholstery foam or higher, you should be able to pull fabric over it to flatten it down.

stryde - Thanks! Damn this sewing things has been a learning experience. The good news is that you really do get better after trying (and failing) a crap load of times.

Hollowknight - I actually have 1/2 inch foam that I bought to try out, but I decided to just scrap it. My skills weren't there yet to work with it. Maybe for a v2 of the undersuit.

-------

UPDATE TIME!

I just worked for about four days straight at about 12 hours a day and nearly finished the upper body of the undersuit.

Here's the almost final:
y9GFis9.jpg

zxTZZuR.jpg

VIBOozP.jpg

FULL ALBUM OF PROGRESS PICS HERE.

I'm about 90% happy with how it turned out. This is my first time really sewing (and I'm very glad I did that practice run on the undersuit with the stretch liner, it helped to get warmed up and make mistakes early on.

The hex pattern was stenciled on with acrylic spray paint before sewing. It was a bitch to line up the pattern, and I definitely messed up/sprayed unevenly in parts, but overall, achieved the look I was going for.

I'm really pleased with how the vinyl piping and appliqués on the elbows turned out. I have a few more to do (shoulders, rear of elbows) that will eventually be used as mounting points for armor. I'm probably going to end up just using hot glue or fusible interfacing on those to attach to the fabric.

The suit looks good on, but I still may need to hem it a bit for a more fitted look.

The sleeves ended up being a bit shorter than expected, so I added some extension pieces to ensure no skin will show under gloves.

As always, comments/suggestions welcome!

Next up:
- Install zipper
- Finish neck seal
- Add on hand wrap things that goes around my thumb to keep the sleeves tight
- Start lower body pattern making

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you have infinite amounts of patience. Looks amazing dude, nice job.

- I really need to learn how to sew, all these under suits are making me jelly.

Wow, this is looking so awesome. I love how you did the hexagon pattern for spandex. I've been searching for ways to do that for months. Is there a program that you use to make your own stencils? I'd be interested in doing the same thing to my suit.

Fantastic work!

Subscribing!

This is coming along awesome, man! I'm really glad the stencil worked out for you, that looks like a ton of work.

Looks complicated, I don't envy you - but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end :D a good under-suit goes a long way.

that under suit is coming along i was thinking about doing something like that i dont want to steal your ideas though

How did you get te hexagonal pattern? I need that for my visor, because if you look close it has that I ten in halo 4

I'm totally diggin this under suit. Currently I'm doing alot of research into under suits because on my next build I want something pretty amazing to go with the armor. The only criticism I can throw at ya is that this isn't as detailed as Halo 4 has dressed up the under suits. This looks like what maybe a trainee would wear before genetic alterations began since it lacks the muscular details and such :p But that doesn't mean it isn't bad ass, I still love it and it's alot better than 95% of the under suits out there right now. Keep up the good work.

Wow, you have infinite amounts of patience. Looks amazing dude, nice job. - I really need to learn how to sew, all these under suits are making me jelly.

Thanks! It's definitely a challenging thing to learn on your own, but certainly not impossible. I had ZERO experience sewing before tackling this. I watched tons of youtube videos and tested out tons of stuff on scrap fabric first. Also, that's why I did the test version first. I would still really like to take like three, one-hour sewing classes or something just to get the basics for the next undersuit I do.

Wow, this is looking so awesome. I love how you did the hexagon pattern for spandex. I've been searching for ways to do that for months. Is there a program that you use to make your own stencils? I'd be interested in doing the same thing to my suit. Fantastic work! Subscribing!

Thanks kitnip! (Your build is coming along amazingly btw and I love your paint scheme) So I just used Photoshop, but really any graphic editing program should work. However, I've uploaded the file in PDF format here if you'd like to print out/cut on your own. i definitely suggest using transparency paper and a hefty cup of "slow and steady" for an accurate cut. It is hard as hell to line up, I didn't learn this until my last spray, but spray a bit off the fabric each time and use that spray to line up your next spray as it can be hard to see the paint on the fabric sometimes through those little cuts...

absolutely awesome!

thank youuuu! Glad everyone is diggin it.

This is coming along awesome, man! I'm really glad the stencil worked out for you, that looks like a ton of work.

Thanks man, it really was a ton of cutting, but it's the perfect thing to do to pass the time while waiting for something/killing time here and there.

Looks complicated, I don't envy you - but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end :D a good under-suit goes a long way.

Haha thanks, I don't envy me either. this has been a huge lesson in patience and failure on a regular basis - but that always leads to better work (or at least improving the next time you do it).

that under suit is coming along i was thinking about doing something like that i dont want to steal your ideas though

Steal away! seriously! I'm here to share and connect with ya'll, not to be all greedy and protective.

here at the 405th, we dont steal ideas.. we use them for ourselves with the creaters permission XD

Yaaaaa!

How did you get te hexagonal pattern? I need that for my visor, because if you look close it has that I ten in halo 4

I cut a stencil, see a few pages back and my response to kitnip above (I've posted the stencil file).

I'm totally diggin this under suit. Currently I'm doing alot of research into under suits because on my next build I want something pretty amazing to go with the armor. The only criticism I can throw at ya is that this isn't as detailed as Halo 4 has dressed up the under suits. This looks like what maybe a trainee would wear before genetic alterations began since it lacks the muscular details and such :p But that doesn't mean it isn't bad ass, I still love it and it's alot better than 95% of the under suits out there right now. Keep up the good work.

thanks kinggoobero, I totally agree with you. I started out with big plans and I quickly realized that there's tons of limitations with sewing and such. I didn't quite have the skill to try out a few things (this pretty much tested the limits of a complete newbie to sewing). However, that being said, I'm not quite finished with it yet. I'm going to test out some upholstery foam (1/2") and see if I can perhaps cut some muscles that look realistic out of it to wear underneath (spartans are jacked). Also, I have a few details that I have yet to appliqué onto the suit itself. However, the type of detail that you need to get on the actual undersuit (to do it 100% accurately) you'd probably have to do a body cast, and then sculpt the undersuit and mold it out of rubber or something (just like how they do crazy suits for the movies). stay tuned though, I'll be making more updates on the suit. PS your builds are killer. What type of fabric did you use for your undersuits? (with the dimples).

QUICK UPDATE

Decided to take a short break from the undersuit and bang out some gauntlets.

eyyyy! tested it out with the undersuit and my tacop gloves that I'll be using as the base for my hand plates/etc.
ST9AMyS.jpg

Love how it looks with the undersuit
ioNy5QB.jpg

Inside shot
zqJim7L.jpg

as always, comments/suggestions/critiques welcome!

I love all the thorough planning that went into your bodysuit! I'm particularly loving the neck seal area. On a side note, you've chosen the same paint scheme I did! I'll definitely be watching for updates. ^^

elusch99, Leonidas1, stryde - Thank youu! seriously

I love all the thorough planning that went into your bodysuit! I'm particularly loving the neck seal area. On a side note, you've chosen the same paint scheme I did! I'll definitely be watching for updates. ^^

Very cool! See below, I just did a test spray to see how it will look. As for the undersuit, the planning was very necessary, however, plans changed dramatically when it came down to it. I have zero knowledge of sewing (still do haha) and I already know what I'm going to do different next time. For instance, I'm really not taking advantage of the spandex nature of spandex - I wanted it to be skin tight! However, it's just not that way because I did't know how to size the pattern I made in a way that would do that. I just found a rashgaurd in my closet that fits amazingly like what I wanted, so in hindsight, I probably should have used that as my base pattern and altered it. I'm going to do that with a pair of leggings actually for my lower body. I checked out your build, that undersuit is lookin killer. I love the "hex" pattern. is that an automatic setting on your machine? it looks legit!

QUICK UPDATE

I was excited to see how the painting would look, so I just spent the last few hours doing a test spray to see what it will look like and to start practicing with painting techniques.

First off was the plastidip. I could not get this stuff to work right for me! i used the spray can kinda and found if very hard to get adequate coverage that wouldn't have micro bubbles/pinheads in it when sprayed with spray paint. Below is what I'm talking about:

6knmlx1.jpg

A - Two coats of spray plastidip, dried for a half hour in the sun, then sprayed with Montana Gold spray paint ("Marble" color)
B - Brushed on liquid plastidip, one coat, dried for a half hour in the sun, then sprayed with Montana Gold spray paint ("Marble" color)

A has the bubbles I was talking about. this I'm not a fan of.
B got the job done in one coat, but it will be hard to get an even coat here i feel (there will be tiny bumbs/brush strokes where the dip puddles)

That being said, I think I'm going to go with B. Its a cleaner, better option I feel. I simply don't want to risk the bubbles and with my light color, the black wash will bring those things right out and I will be displeased. I'd rather deal with a few brushstrokes than the hassle of the spray plastidip. Any suggestions here though?

The below were sprayed/primed/plastidipped more than I'd like to admit (I was struggling to eliminate those micro bubbles!). They definitely lost their definition/edges so I had to fudge it in painting and the black wash didn't pick up as much detail as I would have liked.

3n4QXXr.jpg

A - First attempt. Hot mess. Paint peeled off when I removed some masking tape (too many layers of plastidip and being hasty with taping/not letting it dry). I also blackwashed with undiluted black acrylic and then tried to take some off with thinner (like I've seen in a few tutorials) which resulted in smearing of the under layer as well. won't be doing that again. I used the vaseline method for the damage on the stripes. also used way too much here.
B - Second attempt. Slightly better. Diluted the acrylic with water instead (much better). damaging on the stripe was still too much though. also over chromed/drybrushed the edges on this one too.
C/D - Getting there but still not where I'd like it. these are definitely the closest though. the red stripe damaging is about right on, and the black washing is pretty close too. D however had too much plastidip/previous coats so when wiped off, none of the black wash stayed in the nooks/edges/joints :( lesson learned.

Overall, definitely a good learning experience though! most important: i learned i'm really effin impatient and wanted to paint stuff immediately before it was dry... so ya... i'll have to work on that.

comments/suggestions anticipated (especially around that plastidip issue... grrr...)

Hey, thanks! The setting is actually kind of a (~) kind of stitch, so it took a lot of trial and error to line them up right and get the hex-ish pattern. There are still a couple of areas that look iffy, but it's a start. Seriously considering my next bodysuit in spandex with fleece backing to get the pattern, but I'll bake in that one, too. In reference to the patterning, I tend to use a lot of my own clothes for pattern if I need one; that sounds like a great solution!

I bought the white aerosol plasti-dip when I first started working on this build since I knew I would have a white paint job, but I've since come across threads that have addressed the bubbling issue. According to what I've read, it's common with the white plasti-dip for some reason, and the black doesn't bubble nearly as much. It stinks because it's way more painting for us, but it seems to be a widespread problem. I'm probably going to go back and get the black in both aerosol and the liquid stuff to practice with once I get that far.

Might I suggest leaving the pieces to dry in the garage instead? The direct sunlight, and heat from this, could be causing the plasti-dip to cure too quickly, causing the pin holes.
Now before you take this into account, I know NOTHING, this just an educated guess from my college woodworking classes involving sprayable/brushed-on media, drying, and what can affect the outcome.

Good luck, and keep up the amazing work!

What type of fabric did you use for your undersuits? (with the dimples)
First off, thanks for the compliments :p And if you're talking about the undersuits for the reach builds I bought a motocross padded top. I took out some of the elbow pads because they ended up being covered but I mainly bought it for the spine. It's slightly see through because of the material so I wore simple black under armor underneath it. That's all my undersuits have ever been really is under armor and then that one motocross top so right now I'm definately jelly of your undersuit. You're making excellent progress, keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back