Slacker's Destiny Hunter WIP (Getting Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaSlacker

With PAX Prime quickly approaching and my personal excitement for Destiny building, I've decided to take a mish-mash of parts from the different hunter from the concept art and viddocs that Bungie has released so far.

I'll be taking the chest from here th_hunterchest.png

The right shoulder, helmet, and boots from here th_hunterhelmetandshoulder.pngth_hunter-1.png

The left shoulder and thigh piece from here th_hunter_sideview_pouch.png

and this cloak in my own colors th_cloak.png

Since my mom was visiting at the time I began working on the project I started with the cloak to use her experience with sewing and patterning. Sadly I found the actual bungie cloak concepts right after we finished with the base of the cloak, though it still came out pretty good.
th_22a4ce4f-2210-4826-b55b-657252766917.jpgth_9c77d7a1-8ccb-4f91-b5d0-5b87cfd09f56.jpg
She was also nice enough to model it and then take it home to do some detail work on it.

Next I started the left shoulder, being my first foam piece I've made I wasn't sure what to expect. Turns out I've been missing out, foam is so easy to work with once you work with it and the learning curve is pretty quick. I did make it slightly too big and will probably be remaking it later.
th_HPIM1282.jpgth_HPIM1281.jpg
Yes, I realize my mirror needs to be cleaned.

Now I've been working on the right shoulder and improving upon what I learned with the left shoulder. I started with the regular floor foam and then used 6mm foamies for the main armor detail. Then used my hot knife with a soldering iron tip to burn in the indent lines.
th_HPIM1283.jpgth_HPIM1285.jpg

Next up will be making a duct tape dummy to begin working on the undersuit and chest pieces. Hopefully I'll be able to do a better job updating then I usually do.

~Slacker out

Yay destiny build!! This looks like its going to be pretty cool,i plan on making a Destiny Hunter suit as well in the future so I cant wait to see what else you will do.

Looking good so far. Are you going to use the hunter mask that was posted, or make your own? Would love a Titan of warlock build too, eventually.

Yay destiny build!! This looks like its going to be pretty cool,i plan on making a Destiny Hunter suit as well in the future so I cant wait to see what else you will do.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm hoping not to disapoint.
Don't know what this is but it looks great!
Thanks, it's the Hunter class from Bungie's new shooter, Destiny.
Looking good so far. Are you going to use the hunter mask that was posted, or make your own? Would love a Titan of warlock build too, eventually.
I'm really hoping to see the other classes represented too, the hunter is just what I think I'm going to end up playing at launch. I haven't completely decided yet, I was originally planning to use the mask that was shown during the E3 playthrough and scratch build it, but have been looking to try to find the right lense to be able to use the pep file version and I think I might of found it.

This weekend I got less accomplished then I was hoping to, got the final base of paint on the boots. They are keep rubber boots from walmart that I sprayed with plasti-dip in an attempt to give the regular rattlecan paint a surface to bond with without dissolving the rubber of the boots and leaving a never curing mess to deal with. It turned out ok, but I'm not sure how the paint will stand up to the bendiness of rubber boots. I still have detailing to do that should hopefully hide any of the base coat problems.
th_HPIM1288.jpg

I was also able, with my roommates help, to create a clone of myself to make fitting the undersuit and chest piece way easier.
th_HPIM1286.jpg

So plan for this week is to get my dummy stuffed and begin sizing the chest and undersuit.

This looks like it is going to be a good Build.

Thanks. I'm hoping so too, though I think it will end up being a bit rushed for initial PAX completion.

So I now remember why I dislike Pep so much. The last almost 2 weeks have been spent assembling the mask modeled by Rundown. Now it's finally complete and have moved it onto the harden/slather in bondo stage with the helmet.
th_HPIM1292.jpg
I ended up adding a bit to the top of the mask so that it will cover everything without having to velcro the front of the hood on.

Also haven't made up my mind on the color of the visor yet. I ended up getting both a bronze and blue tint, and will accept any input given, though I'm leaning towards using the bronze for now.
th_HPIM1293.jpg

Next up for this weekend is to make great strides in finishing the mask and get an initial pattern designed for the undersuit. Gonna be a fun weekend. :cool

Looking good.
Right on, a Destiny build. Great start.
Thanks

On to updates as I slowly move into a crunch/rush schedule.

First, The cloak is complete and I think it's looking dang good. All that's left is to make some magnetic snaps to attach it to the chest when complete.
th_HPIM1294.jpg

I've also finished a really quick thigh plate that is now ready for painting/strapping.
th_HPIM1296.jpg

Pants are also at least assembled, I still need to do some major tailoring to reduce the bagginess and just generally get a better fit.
th_HPIM1298.jpg

And finally the mask, I managed to get the middle cut out for the visor and initial sanding done. This weekend it should see some bondo and hopefully will get all the sanding done and a coat of primer.
th_HPIM1297.jpg

I'm currently working on the belt and initial cutout of a rifle. This weekends goals are bondo on the mask, belt mostly complete, initial patterns for the top, the base for the chest cutout, and the base of the rifle assembled. It's a pretty ambitious list, so sleep is pretty much out of the question and a steady caffeine IV drip will be started.

Looking good. Best of luck making your deadline!

Thanks, I did manage to complete everything but the weapon in time, including glueing strapping on in the hotel room.

Sadly I didn't take nearly as many progress pics as I would of liked to due to the time crunch, so a few things go from non-existant to painted, but I do have some.

I didn't get the rifle completely done, mainly just the main body and a little bit of the detailing done. More then I expected to get done in 2 days though.
th_HPIM1300.jpgth_HPIM1303.jpgth_HPIM1307.jpg

The belt was made by taking a strip of the floor mat, tapering the edges and contact cementing on a layer of the suit fabric.
th_HPIM1299.jpg

The helmet first got an aluminum base, then petroleum jelly to keep the next layers of paint from sticking to give the chipped look, followed by a blackwash. The range finder has 2 3mm red LEDs wired into the main part of the helmet.
th_HPIM1302.jpgth_HPIM1304.jpg

The finished paint on the chest and shoulders. You can also see the 2 rare-earth magnets that I used to attach the cloak to the rest of the suit.
th_HPIM1306.jpgth_HPIM1305.jpg

A couple shots from PAX of the completed suit.
th_1236720_10103832947559184_2142774370_n.jpg
Me and my buddy Spartan Longshot-x
th_1260891_10103832949774744_358326607_n.jpg
Link doesn't understand guns too well. I on the other hand got a sweet sword to charge with "space magic"
th_1237113_10151631203228284_792580554_n.jpg

Overall I'm happy with how this turned out with the time I had available to put into it and the references currently out in the wild. As Bungie releases more I'll be updating things to try to keep up to date and fix some of the things that gave me problems.

Till next time;
Slacker out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back