Trando434's First Foam Armor Attempt! -Reach MK.V Style- *Pic Heavy* Updated 8/24/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trando434

Hey guys, I've been a member of the 405th for some time now, since my freshman year of high school. Anyway, I have attempted to make pepakura style armor about 3 times so far, all end in complete disasters. I am not too good at assembling such small pieces, and I definitely don't have the patience to do that either, something every armor builder kinda needs.

Well, I am going to give armor building another go. I've been looking into the EVA foam style and from what a lot of people say it is one of the easier builds, on top of that it is also cost effective and can be as detailed as you want it to be. On top of that I finaly caught on to the fact something like this cannot be rushed, like I said I am not very patient, but I can pace myself, so I am only getting enough done a night that I feel satisfied but not overwhelmed. So I am going to give it another shot.

I really want to do a very personalized spartan, one with a lot of character and personality you can tell just by looking at his armor, attachments and load out. Here is a taste of what I am aiming for:http://fav.me/d6j6y8q

I am going to start off with the forearm armor first. I am using the L3X BLU3R1V3R foam stencil forearm file for reference. Well anyway, to start off I think I scaled the armor wrong already. I used the scaling method by Xtreme Tactics to figure out a height for the forearm piece, and it came out much larger than the original pep file. Now I keep reading everywhere that the armor is scaled to a 6'5" (or around that number) spartan and scaling should be smaller than the scaling in the pep program. Yet for me it came out 14mm larger. Well I haven't assembled anything yet, but only time will tell.

Anyway, I got all the pieces cut out today so far I am about 5 hours into the process and $60 spent on supplies.

photo_zpse5d53fbb.jpg

Here are all the parts for the forearm:
image_zpsa34f55f2.jpe

Well except one... I wasn't being careful with the exacto knife and sliced way off course, so I have to reprint this!
image1_zpsf6cb596c.jpe

So again, 5 hours into the Project and $60 in so far.

Oh and this, this is what I did in about an hour and a half of extra time after I finished what needed to get done tonight.

Now I just took an image and blew it up to make it about the correct size of a Halo machete. However to be perfectly honest, I am not looking into making this a direct 1:1 exact copy of the machete, more of a personalized take hence the crossguard. And it's not finished yet, and I will only work on it when I have time. And anymore info or updates on the machete will be posted on the Weapons and Props forum.
image2_zpsfb6970cd.jpe
image3_zps47cf25f4.jpe

Attachments

• photo_zpse5d53fbb.jpg
    photo_zpse5d53fbb.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 258
  • image_zpsa34f55f2.jpe
    image_zpsa34f55f2.jpe
    95 KB · Views: 256
  • image3_zps47cf25f4.jpe
    image3_zps47cf25f4.jpe
    71.5 KB · Views: 262
  • image2_zpsfb6970cd.jpe
    image2_zpsfb6970cd.jpe
    61.3 KB · Views: 282
  • image1_zpsf6cb596c.jpe
    image1_zpsf6cb596c.jpe
    38.6 KB · Views: 269
First Foam Armor Attempt! Reach MK.V *Pic Heavy* *Updated 8/24/13*

Ok Day 3 (ish).

Good news, I finally got all of the stencils copied down onto the foam sheet! Bad news is I got about 5 pieces cut out and I forgot the whole sheet back at work...

Anyway here are the pics of the parts I got so far.

image5_zps73955af7.jpe

Also I am in a bit of a pickle. I didn't cut the pieces very evenly. I know I can correct a lot of it by dremel and sanding by hand, but I don't know if I should redo this piece:
image6_zpsff8ddb84.jpe
The problem is that the inside is angled and I am not sure how I can correct that too easily. If anyone has any ideas on what to do, please share!

Anyway, I hope to have a lot more cut out by tomorrow night.

That's it...

7 hours so far.

Update 8/24/13:

I got a few more pieces cut out today, well before my hot knife stopped working...

Here are the pics:

image8_zps0f8245eb.jpe

image7_zpsaa307308.jpe

Now I am still confused, The angle that I cut the top piece at, is it fixable? or do I need to redo that piece? PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

• image5_zps73955af7.jpe
    image5_zps73955af7.jpe
    51.3 KB · Views: 248
  • image8_zps0f8245eb.jpe
    image8_zps0f8245eb.jpe
    81.6 KB · Views: 273
  • image7_zpsaa307308.jpe
    image7_zpsaa307308.jpe
    86 KB · Views: 254
  • image6_zpsff8ddb84.jpe
    image6_zpsff8ddb84.jpe